Typical Player Behavior, or Bad Roleplaying?

The_Magician

First Post
No matter how lawful good you are, or how lawful good is the deity you worship, you just cant save evert single soul in the planet. Since you are not using alignments, I think that makes the roleplay of his character even more flexible in such situations. He could try to plead so they would forgive the old PC, but risking your life to save someone else's.... my mom is one of the most lawful good persons I know, but she wouldnt throw her life away and sacrifice herself to save the life of a stranger. That doesnt mean she wouldnt try to help the person in any way she cant.

Now, depending on how deep the bond is between the old PC and the new PC (and I would assumre there must be some bond since the old PC gave away all his magic items to the new one), a little extra effort should be expected.

I am not in your game and cant judge that situation, but if you think the old PC showed a complete lack of interest in trying to find means of saving the old PC, you could make the new PC's deity to stop answering for his prayers, at least for a while. You could even put the new PC into a quest for redemption, if you think it was THAT bad.

Wolv0rine

First Post
I don't know. If it were me, I'd stop worrying about whether or not the character's actions were what you think they should or would have been. You can't hold the banner of "The Supreme Good God" over his head and swat him with it when he doesn't act purely Lawful Good no matter what you agreed on. The character's still human, and still mortal, and still subject to all those things. Even pious men stray, or interpret their deity's wishes or plans in contrary ways (which is as close to not breaking the religion-talking rules as I'm coming for the moment). That doesn't mean you shouldn't adjucate, that's your role as DM.

Now as for the NPC, I think you need to approach it more from an angle of how those npc characters are thinking than how You're thinking. If it were me I'd have the NPC rescued by a hush-hush branch of her church, and then I'd have the NPC and a small group of those hush-hush Clerics show up in the party's camp and tell them that she needs those items back that were given to the young character, because having escaped from the government torturers and being on the run from heated and intense pursuit they've become neccesary for her in a way she never thought you'd be again (since she was retiring). If they don't want to give the items over, have the request made very Sternly. If the party actually decides to fight these people to the death over those piddly items in the face of a situation where you've explained *in story term, not DM meta-game terms* why they should give them up, well... I'd have to agree that'd qualify as Not Good of them.

But the dreams approach just seems like heavy-handed railroading as much as the Angel does. Both are basically a voice from heaven booming down saying "Naughty! Give them back!" instead of having IC reasons and events unfolding. :)

BWP

Explorer
ptolemy18 said:
THE FORMER PC GAVE ALL HER MAGIC ITEMS TO THE GUY'S NEW PC

There's your problem, right there.

One character exiting the game giving all their possessions to another character entering the game is effectively saying "I am already dead; there is no further point to my existence. Forget that you ever knew me."

IOW, you've given the player absolutely no reason to give a rat's bottom about what happens to his former PC. Why would he want to treat that character as somebody worth saving now, when a little while ago she was just a walking magic item gift shop?

BWP

Explorer
swrushing said:
Don't jopist the PCs on a pitard you yourself put there.

Don't what them on a what?

I think you mean "hoist them on a petard". And it's Ptolemy18 who has been hoist on his own petard.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
ptolemy18 said:
The old PC and the new PC meet up for about two hours' time, in-character. The old PC, who is retiring, gives the new PC (who she has never met before) her magic items since she is 'retiring from adventuring'. :/ Since the new PC is taking the old PC's place as the party cleric, this is borderline acceptable, I guess. (Although maybe this is where I made my mistake...)
Mechanically, there's absolutely nothing wrong with this. The new PC is going to need to be suitably equipped for his level anyway, so whether the equipment comes form the former PC or from off-camera adventures is beside the point. The old PC was suitably equipped, now the new PC is suitably equipped. There's no issue here, certainly not one that needs to be corrected.

Now, if the old PC was over-equipped, and you're disgruntled because now the new PC is over-equipped as well, then that's an entirely different issue that can be dealt with quite cleanly in-game.

Or is the entire problem here the fact that you don't think it's reasonable for one person to give their most valuable belongings to another person after having only met them for a few hours? It's a justifiable opinion, but a good DM knows that it isn't his job to determine (outside of [Compulsion] and [Charm] magic,) what actions are reasonable for the PCs. Players determine what actions are reasonable for PCs. The DM determines what actions are reasonable for NPCs because of or in spite of the PCs.

In the case of your campaign, I suggest that you completely set aside your feelings about the appropriateness of what the old PC did, and instead fairly and unbiasedly continue to adjudicate your NPCs' actions. Most likely, that won't involve unwarranted retributive strikes against the PCs for actions NPCs couldn't have known about and wouldn't care about, but only you would know for sure.
Now, since there are no alignments, I can't *force* or railroad the players into having their characters act a certain way. But I thought it would be more in-character for the Priestess of the Supreme God of Good to at least *try* to convince the other PCs to rescue the hapless prisoner. (Instead, she had this complicated excuse where she said she didn't want to interfere with the complicated political situation and possibly kill innocent guards, and she hoped that maybe the temple of the former-PC's religion would be able to help the former PC, etc.)
As a DM, your job is to judge the PCs' actions based on the general guidelines you've given them. In this case, I think you are instead judging the PC based on what you would have done. Remember that just because a PC doesn't do what you would have done, or follow the reasoning you would have followed, doesn't mean the PC has failed to live up to the ideals they are supposed to be following.

In the case of your campaign, the PC has explained her actions. She didn't think the Supreme God of Good would want her to kill innocent guardsmen (only doing their jobs to feed their families...and often the only way to do that under a corrupt government is to work for the government,) in order to free the former PC. She still held out hope that the former PC's Temple, a powerful political force in the city, could enact the former PC's release.

Now, you may find this reasoning less heroic than you might have liked, but it certainly still fits in with the criteria you gave the player to work with. Punishing the PC for not behaving exactly as you would have done accomplishes nothing, since it's unlikely the player will ever be able to perfectly anticipate how you would handle every situation. So long as she's thought things through and has [Good] reasons for acting the way she does, that should be enough.

If, on the whole, the game becomes or has become less heroic than you'd like, that's something to discuss with the players out of the game, not something to wordlessly punish the PCs for in-game.
Out of character, I think the player of the former PC is just tired of having to deal with the old PC and wants to put the situation behind him. But since THE FORMER PC GAVE ALL HER MAGIC ITEMS TO THE GUY'S NEW PC I THINK THAT THE NEW PC WOULD BE SLIGHTLY MORE WILLING TO GO OUT ON A LIMB TO HELP HER!!! :)
Again, perhaps if you were playing the PCs in question, this may be true. In the case of the actual player of these PCs, apparently not. You might build on this. Perhaps the PCs encounter the former PC's brother. They need his help and ask him to trust them, and he snorts derisively. "I've heard about how you treat your friends." The situation is something that can add to the background of the campaign, but is, again, not something to punish the players for, outside of reasonable consequences to their actions.
It just kind of pisses me off that the player of the "Supreme God of Good" PC would come up with, IMHO, lame & un-heroic justifications for not getting involved. I've set myself up for it by playing a game without alignments, of course. :/
The lack of alignments doesn't really play into it. Just because you haven't given behaviors simple labels doesn't mean there are no longer good and evil actions or beings in the world. They're merely no longer easily, undeniably identified as such. I think some players/DMs make the mistake of thinking that without alignment, there no longer are such things as good and evil. Everything is just "kinda friendly" or "not so nice" and nothing can be judged. This simply isn't true. In a world without alignment, defining what is morally acceptable and unacceptable becomes even more prominent.

*ahem* So as I said, the issue isn't with the fact that you've done away with alignments. The issue here is that you don't think the PC's reasons are good enough. Indeed, you don't think they're valid reasons at all, but merely "justifications" for improper behavior. If this is true, then you need to ask yourself if the player/PC feels the same. i.e. does the player feel his PC is just "making excuses" or does the player truly believe that such reasons are a valid reason not to act? If the latter, then you need to sit down with your player and work out what kinds of actions the Supreme Good of God endorses. What kinds of behavior the god looks for in his followers. Clearly, there's been a miscommunication somewhere. Let this incident slide, and take care to ensure that the player understands in the future what kinds of actions please the god, (heroic, bold, saving those who have been unjustly incarcerated even at the possible expense of lives, etc.) and what actions displease him. Things should run more smoothly in the future. And if the PC still behaves inapprpriately, then have his powers reflect that. But by that point the player should be very conscious of what is happening, and why.

ptolemy18

First Post
sword-dancer said:
I´ven`t meant the "Local" Temples alone, but I couldn`t understand why they don`t arrest the magistrate for crimes against Clerics, Church and Pantheon, or excommunicate the involved persons(which put them practically out of authority and community) I´d meant the church of egypt.
Like not the local Highpriest, but the "Archbishops" and "Popes" of the gods.
To put at least an example for political reasons....
The local administration and the priest of this temple had created a political turmoil, and a religios for that. So alone from political reasons the local churches should make pressure, making clear they wanted the priest back, the folls who arreted and chasined him put for a court and then punished etc, which meant tortured to death, with the message and if you local administrator don`t do that you will be also on the block....
If the local churches together aren`t capable to do this, they´re staffed with cowards or are outpowered.

SwordDancer, maybe I haven't explained it well enough, but I don't think you understand the kind of campaign world I'm running. The evil government is sustained by evil priests -- not "ooh, look at me worship demons and make human sacrifices" evil priests, but "anyone who raises a hand against the divine pharaoh will be put to death by the will of the gods" evil priests.

Of course, it's pointless to make comparisons between D&D and actual history, but in ancient Egypt the Pharaoh was theoretically the head of the religion as well as the government. So needless to say, the majority of priests have to be on the side of the government, which, in this case, is ***eeeeevvill.***

Just because someone is a priest doesn't mean that they can get away with rebellion. After all, since the pharaoh is a "god" (although not *really* in game terms), it's not just rebellion -- it's *blasphemy*!!! :) The priests of the ex-PC's religion are more neutral-to-good and are subtly trying to help the common people whenever they can get away with it. There's a few priests of other gods who are in open rebellion, but they're a minority.

So, in fact, they *are* outpowered, I guess.

Now, if that sounds like a too-depressing campaign world, with no alignments and the bad guys in power, then that's your opinion... I think it's fun with lots of opportunities for "fight the power" adventures... Tell the people who bought the MIDNIGHT campaign setting. (Which I also like.)

Jason

Last edited:

ptolemy18

First Post
Lord Pendragon said:
If, on the whole, the game becomes or has become less heroic than you'd like, that's something to discuss with the players out of the game, not something to wordlessly punish the PCs for in-game..

Yes, you are totally right. I was projecting my own ideas of heroic behavior onto the player-characters. Luckily I've gotten over it in the intervening week and I feel I'm ready to shape the campaign to whatever decision the players make! ;)

Jason

KRT

First Post
ptolemy18 said:
Yes, you are totally right. I was projecting my own ideas of heroic behavior onto the player-characters. Luckily I've gotten over it in the intervening week and I feel I'm ready to shape the campaign to whatever decision the players make! ;)

Jason

Exactly. Rather than lamenting that the actions don't make sense with what should be, find the way that those actions do make sense. Its all about providing a game in which the players "feel like they" have control over their destiny so to speak. The reed that doesn't bend in the wind breaks or some drivel like that.

I propose that you slightly revise the situation so that the pacifist (soon to be dead) priestess does not want the adventurers to risk themselves and waste their lives on the priestess because there is a higher destiny for them. Even the fact that she will be forced to betray them may be a neccessary part of this destiny putting them directly at odds with the evil establishment but giving them time to get prepared, hidden, allied with others etc.

Remove ads