D&D 4E Typing system in4E (Rich Baker scoop).

SPECTRE666

Adventurer
http://forums.gleemax.com/showpost.php?p=14764975&postcount=2097 Its not much.

[sblock=Rich Baker]We've got a new typing system, but I won't go into detail yet. I don't want to scoop some of our Monster Manual preview material.

One thing I will say: In general, we want more powers to affect more creatures. Saying that a PC race (or a bipedal, intelligent monster, for that matter) isn't a "person" because of some pretty arcane typing rules is something we're moving away from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkusTay63
Since the Karsmeister answered that one, I have another...

Question:
Are creature types going to remain mostly unchanged in 4e, or will there be some new system in place form determining what effects who?

I ask this because Tieflings were considered Outsiders in 3e, but their new incarnation makes them out to be more 'Monstrous Humanoid'.

Wizards of the Coast, Inc.[/sblock]

Last edited:

kennew142

First Post
This could fix quite a few issues. One of the problems I've had in the past with some of the 'alternate' races players have wanted to play is that they are immune to so many spells. Aasimar spring to mind. I wouldn't allow anyone to play one unless they agreed that they were affected all the things that affect human, but they are immune to due to their outsider type (hold person, charm person, dominate person, etc...). I wasn't thrilled when the faq added that all aasimar are proficient with martial weapons either. IMO, if a spell is limited by the fact that it only affects PC races (and certain monsters), then it should affect all PC races. [/Ramble]

In short, it's good news as far as I'm concerned.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Haven't we seen some surprising 'humanoids' already? Wasn't the spined devil 'humanoid'?

Yeah, this mirrors the changes that I made to the planetouched a while ago, and help keep it in step with making it easier to create monster PC's, so I'm glad to hear it.

Merlin the Tuna

First Post
This is also good news for the folks that have been worried about wizards being blaster-masters. I don't think that the changing of type rules would be necessary if there weren't still quite a few mind-affecting/etc. spells going around.

Kobu

First Post
Thank goodness. The double space after a full stop was so archaic. Now if we could just agree on Dvorak...

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
The fundamental design problem is Types tend to give stackable resistances and immunities, but give corresponding downsides or vulnerabilities that stack.

So you start seeing creatures with a dizzying array of SR + immunities + resistances + a saving throw, there is strong incentive for the player to simply use the most boring options against any unknown creature.

JohnSnow

Hero
Well, one of the changes to the "type" rules was blown in "Ecology of the Fire Archon." Now, all creatures that are extensively allied with a particular element are considered to be "elementals."

So, for example, Archons, Efreet, Djinn and Salamanders will all be "elementals."

Merlin the Tuna

First Post
JohnSnow said:
Well, one of the changes to the "type" rules was blown in "Ecology of the Fire Archon." Now, all creatures that are extensively allied with a particular element are considered to be "elementals."
It also told us that the elemental type doesn't automatically grant Darkvision. <Shrug>

Remove ads