D&D 5E Tyranny of Dragons New Cover Reveal

On Amazon, the cover of the upcoming rerelease of Tyranny of Dragons has been revealed, and it's a gorgeous depiction of Tiamat! Defy the Queen of Evil Dragons in this adventure for the world’s greatest roleplaying game. Tyranny of Dragons combines and refines two action-packed Dungeons & Dragons adventures—Hoard of the Dragon Queen and The Rise of Tiamat—into a single sweeping campaign...

On Amazon, the cover of the upcoming rerelease of Tyranny of Dragons has been revealed, and it's a gorgeous depiction of Tiamat!

Screenshot 2022-12-12 at 11.15.08 PM.png

Defy the Queen of Evil Dragons in this adventure for the world’s greatest roleplaying game.

Tyranny of Dragons combines and refines two action-packed Dungeons & Dragons adventures—Hoard of the Dragon Queen and The Rise of Tiamat—into a single sweeping campaign. It also includes a gallery of concept art providing a behind-the-scenes look at the creation of an epic adventure spotlighting Tiamat, one of the most legendary foes in D&D.
  • A wonderful re-introduction to 5th edition’s first published adventures for new fans
  • Begins as a low-level adventure suitable for new players and evolves into an epic, sprawling campaign bringing players all the way from level 1 to level 15
  • Adventure has been rebalanced to be easier for a new Dungeon Master to run and a better play experience.
  • Book includes gallery of concept art spotlighting Tiamat, one of the most legendary foes in D&D

Just a reminder to everyone that we've had quite a lengthy discussion about this product's contents already in this other thread: D&D 5E - Rebalanced Tyranny of Dragons Coming In January

The conclusion was that it is the same product as last time just without the hobby store exclusive cover. So there are no additional changes to the ones that they made to the adventures when they first combined them into one product.
Yeah but I don’t necessarily agree with that conclusion.

darjr

I crit!
If they had made any changes, even minor ones, people would be saying "WotC made unnecessary changes to get more money!". Come to think of it, people are saying that about the new cover anyway :) Books get new covers routinely with new printings. Should RPG books be any different?
I mean they did do it to make more money.

Though not to "trick" anyone. Any collectors now know what they are getting if they feel they have to buy it again for the cover.

It does seem to sell well enough they wanted to get it into a wider release format.

I think it's in a space much like when 5e was released and it's immediate huge popularity not only stunned WotC it stunned many of the folks like us who watch these things.

Maccwar

Explorer
This is disappointing. They've had years of lessons learned since it first came out, and could have made some changes to better balance out the game and flow.

It does clearly state above "Adventure has been rebalanced to be easier for a new Dungeon Master to run and a better play experience." so it is not as if this is the original version that was published as separate books.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
I mean they did do it to make more money.

Though not to "trick" anyone. Any collectors now know what they are getting if they feel they have to buy it again for the cover.

It does seem to sell well enough they wanted to get it into a wider release format.

I think it's in a space much like when 5e was released and it's immediate huge popularity not only stunned WotC it stunned many of the folks like us who watch these things.
Yes, I see nothing "sinister" here. They released a combined version with a limited cover and, presumably, that one sold well. Now, they release another printing. Probably the idea is also to take advantage commercially of the heightened focus on Tiamat/Takhisis thanks to Dragonlance.

Remove ads

Remove ads