D&D 5E Tyranny of Dragons Panel at PAX East Today

jcfiala

Explorer
Oh, and put me down as having zero interest in tyranny of dragons. This will turn off more people than it will ever attract.

I dunno, I think it's a great idea for a launch adventure. In a game called Dungeons & Dragons, you're working against a Dragon worshiping cult that's trying to bring back the goddess of evil Dragons. I know almost nothing about 5th edition, but I think this sounds like fun.

Alphastream

Adventurer
I'm deleting my earlier comment as on a second read I'm not sure what the person I was quoting meant.

Companies do work hard to come up with reasons why the latest adventure (or adventure path) is greater than the last. WotC does it and Paizo does it.

The concepts of adventure paths go back at least as early as Dragonlance, and arguably earlier. As companies push that concept of a series of experiences, they inevitably have to try to argue this one is "can't miss".

But, honestly, the industry does constantly refine its approach. Newer efforts do tend to bring in new ideas and hone old ones, making them better. Many of the classics of old are really dated when compared to today's efforts (most of which don't benefit from the same static environment enjoyed in the 70's 80's, where an adventure remained on store shelves for decades). It is also interesting to see how companies cross-pollinate. The 'adventure path" term was coined while Paizo collaborated with Wizards of the Coast, and the two companies continue to learn from one another's efforts.

One more thing: the tendency of us old hats is to hold onto our earlier experiences as sacred and true, and to see (because of our experience) the possible issues with something new. But, we aren't the only audience. In fact, it is increasingly seeming as if both Paizo and WotC want to focus on the newer and casual gamer, and to have a very complicated interrelationship between RPGs and other forms of media. This could all be very good for our hobby, and it is fairly new. We should likely be in a learning mode here, and will need to see what happens with audiences other than our own core before we know whether they succeed or not. Looking at PAX over the the years, we see an increasingly diverse audience showing up to play D&D, especially younger casual players. They seem only partially aware of the various forms of play, but these new efforts may change that.

Last edited:

havedice

First Post
D&D 5th

Hopefully we are all waiting for info from which we as usual will come up with our own inner vision of actuality!

Nothing can be deduced until we get that all important info.

So lets try to be up before we take anything away lets look at what's on offer?

HaveDice

JohnduBois

First Post
While I haven't scoured the details of the new adventure path, I'll say this: Every detail I saw or browsed on Twitter reminded me, in a good way, of a previous play experience I remember fondly.

Even if this rollout isn't perfect (and we have no evidence to suggest it will be given previous digital initiatives on the part of Wizards), I'll get additional tools to create a good play experience for myself and my friends. And that's what I pay for when I buy RPG products.

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
More info on Tyranny of Dragons from the Tyranny of Dragons Design Contest http://contest.welovefine.com/contest/78-dungeons-dragons-design-contest#.U00n1VV5PpB

''This year, D&D is pitting heroes everywhere against hordes of evil dragons led by the 5-headed queen of dragons Tiamat:
For years, the evil Cult of the Dragon has devoted itself to creating undead dragons in a vain attempt to fulfill an ancient prophecy. However, the cultists were misguided. They misunderstood. But now, under new leadership, the cult believes that the prophecy does not speak of undead dragons, but of a dragon empire that’s been extinct for 25,000 years. Tiamat, the queen of evil dragons, has languished in the Nine Hells for millennia. The cult believes that the time of her return is at hand.
Meanwhile, evil dragons in cahoots with the cult seek to amass a treasure hoard worthy of their dark queen, not by plundering their own hoards (of course) but by stealing money from cities, caravans, good-aligned dragons, merchant ships, and other sources. Their ravenous hunt for treasure throws the Sword Coast into upheaval. Neverwinter, Waterdeep, Baldur’s Gate—no city is safe from their depredations.''

Zulithe

Explorer
Well... the art is pretty nice. Tyranny of Dragons could be interesting, I do like that they are hitting heavy with the iconic beasts out of the gate, but disappointed otherwise. It's time they start ramping up the hype for the new edition. I want to know what their plans are for companion apps on phones/tablets/computers and online services are. I play online these days, and those are all important to me.

The way they handled all these issues with 4e was a total joke, but this time they really have no excluse. They know what they need to do to support their game in the modern world, and they can't put it all on the back burner like last time.

I know it wasn't a straight up 5e panel, but there needs to be one, or something akin to it, and hopefully soon.

tuxgeo

Adventurer
Reportedly, there was also a straight up D&D 5E Next panel at PAX East in another time slot, but I haven't seen any comments or tweets or videos or podcasts about it yet.

Remove ads