• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

UA Generic Classes

AFGNCAAP

First Post
Remathilis said:
Squire James's set up looks alot like mine, less the magic rating and plus defense bonus (spellcaster gets worst, expert medium, warrior good, use SW style progression for MC).

Added a few more feats (basically, the martial arts feats from d20 M, and animal companion).

I asked this over in rules, but does anyone have a breakdown for the spellpoints for a spellcaster? Its less than a sorcerer, but I'm not sure how much less.

Edit: 500th Post! Woot!

It'd be the same as a sorcerer, not less--the # of spells/day are the same as a sorcerer's, as are the # spells known.

We started using them, switching over 2 1/2 characters at level 3. Right now we're using the Expert and the Warrior, as both wanted some flexibility outside of combat. Both I (the DM) and the player feel the Spellcaster class is a little too much sorceror.

Remathilis

Legend
AFGNCAAP said:
It'd be the same as a sorcerer, not less--the # of spells/day are the same as a sorcerer's, as are the # spells known.
Are you sure? Check it again. A 1st level sorcerer has 5/3 for his starting spells per day, a spellcaster has 4/2. They go up at different intervals too.

AFGNCAAP

First Post
Remathilis said:
Are you sure? Check it again. A 1st level sorcerer has 5/3 for his starting spells per day, a spellcaster has 4/2. They go up at different intervals too.

Whoops--you're right. Like a sorcerer, it maxes out at 6/day for many of the lower level spells. However, though the spellcaster gains spells of certain levels like a sorcerer (second level spells at 4th level like a sorcerer, instead of at 3rd level like a wizard), the # of spells/day is the average between a wizard & a sorcerer.

For the lower levels, I'd say it's simply a matter of averaging things out--add the sorcerer & wizard values together, then divide by two. (Keep the spellcaster, sorcerer, & wizard spells/day lists readily available to ensure this average holds true.) For the higher levels (when spells start to max out at 6/day), I'm not sure how to work that out.

Maybe a nice letter to Sage Advice may provide an eventual solution? :)

AFGNCAAP

First Post
I'll ask--actually, I just asked:

Hello,

I have a question regarding two options presented in the Unearthed Arcana sourcebook: the spell point optional magic system, and the generic classes optional class system.

How many spell points would a generic spellcaster (of the generic classes) gain per level using the spell point magic system? The generic spellcaster class generally "averages" out on spells per day between the sorcerer & wizard class, but at higher levels, the generic spellcaster tops out at up to 6 spells/day (like a sorcerer), so merely adding & averaging out the spell point numbers for wizards & sorcerers isn't really a viable solution. Should I use one of the existing spell point progressions for the generic spellcaster? Should a new spell point progression table be created for the generic spellcaster?

Thank you for you time.

(signature)

I hope this works out.

Remove ads