• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E UA Mystic v3

ZickZak

Explorer
Hello,
we are playing level 6 and a member of the group wishes to create a Mystic.
Are there any specific points of the mystic class that at level 6 should be avoided? (THP per round, disciplines...)

What would you say if the discipline limit is reduced by half and so are the Spell Points?

Thanks

Immoralkickass

Adventurer
Why would you reduce the psi limit by half? They would be too weak.

Are you the DM? Ask him what Order and what disciplines are his choice. Then you work from there.

ZickZak

Explorer
Why would you reduce the psi limit by half? They would be too weak.

Are you the DM? Ask him what Order and what disciplines are his choice. Then you work from there.
I ve read that somewhere... that that is the fix some would go for.
I guess I ll post the specific picks and go from there, once decided.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I have a Mystic player in one of my games, and the psi points are such that she has decimated the battlefield on occasion by throwing several massive fireball-like effects... but then found herself on the short-end of her total after the fact (making the conservation of remaining points a focal point, and even having to go through several encounters without any psi points remaining at all.)

The issue wasn't that she had too many psi points... I think it was that because psi points were just a large number she counted down from, it made it psychologically easier for her to blow massive amounts of them on one or two big effects with little thought, and only then realizing after the fact that "Crap! There's still a lot of adventuring day left!". With spell slots... it's easier for players to see what they have in the tank and to make the connection "I probably shouldn't cast both my two 4th-level spell slots in this one encounter because that's all I have of them for the day."

What this meant from my perspective as the DM is that one large-scale battle was reduced in power and effectiveness because she destroyed massive amounts of low-powered minion enemies in short order, and then had to deal with her being stuck with essentially "cantrips" for the rest of the week (I am running 3-7 day Long Rests). It has taken some gentle nudging on my part to reminder her when she's tried to throw a second massive AoE right after the first one that blowing all of her points like that in single encounters is perhaps not her most effective use of resources.

So I don't think you need to reduce the psi total... you just need to be prepared for "nova" attacks followed by an evaporated pool in subsequent encounters if the Mystic player isn't conservative or paying attention.

ZickZak

Explorer
So I don't think you need to reduce the psi total... you just need to be prepared for "nova" attacks followed by an evaporated pool in subsequent encounters if the Mystic player isn't conservative or paying attention.

This all assumes that there is certain number of encounters per day. For us three is a max, usually. So if Mystic can go crazy 3 encs a day... well...

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Personally, I'd say don't change anything until you've had a few games. That will let you and your table get a feel for the class. Just let the player know it is subject to change. Also let them know that they can swap classes if they don't like your changes.

The signature of champions.

mellored

Legend
This all assumes that there is certain number of encounters per day. For us three is a max, usually. So if Mystic can go crazy 3 encs a day... well...
Mystics aren't any worse than a sorcerer in that regard. As they can also blow through their resources to destroy a single battle, then end up with nothing for the rest.
(And to a slightly lesser degree, wizards, druids, bards and paladins. So really, half the classes can nova.)

Though personally, I think mystics should have a modestly reduced max psi, but recharge a few points on a short rest. Both from a flavor standpoint, and from a play standpoint.
Like at level 3, they would have 10 max, and recharge 2 per short rest.

Alternitivly, just reduce the psi limit. Then they can't use them as fast.

Remove ads