Ultimate gaming table

RandomCitizenX

First Post
My interest in making my group an ultimate gaming table (UGT) has recently been reignited after discovering the one linked in Darkwolf's sig. After digging around for possible plans I have decided that I am going to try and wing it since every groups needs are different, but this also got me to thinking about what things are essential to any game table. So let me put the question to you, fellow enworlders, if you were planning out a UGT what items would you consider to be absolutely necessary? What about things specific to your group?

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
For me it would be nooks below the surface of the table allowing players easy access/storage of books and sheets and the like without them being on the actual table surface itself, cluttering the space where the mat/tiles go. . .

James McMurray

First Post
Our group had a "we want an uber table" craze for a while. We saved up over a few months, talked about plans, and decided what would be best for our needs. In the end we bought two of these.

72_Inch_plastic-folding-table.gif

They do everything we need them to by having more space. No under-storage is needed because everything fits on the table. We had talked about fold out panels to hold laptops for those that bring them, but two of these side by side is plenty of room. We'd also talked about having the center raised so that books and papers could be slid under the mat.

I know it's not what you're looking for, but if space isn't an issue (or price is), it's worth looking into. The best part is that they fold up easily so they don't get in the way of the guy whose house we play at, and should we ever need to relocate we can pack them up and carry them out the door.

Darkwolf71

First Post
'32 sqft of gaming surface' are what really matters. ;)

Glad my sig inspired you to build. The link is to what we refer to as The Avenger table. It was built for IIRC less than $200.00 (of course the room it resides in took considerably more) and as a plug for the owner I'll add that he does sell CDs of the plans for around 11 bucks, and if you scroll down on This link there are some free pics that will give you a good direction to go in if you want to wing it.

I have a similar table at home that cost me about $50.00. Mine consists of only the tabletop resting on a 6' folding table with some 1x2 'guide blocks' to hold it in place, no cup holders, no drawers. If I was to do it again I think I would cut the overall size down by a foot or so all around. A table this large needs a big room to not feel cramped.

Whatever you decide, post some pics when you get it together. I'd love to see what yo ucome up with.

Daniel D. Fox

Explorer
Our group had a "we want an uber table" craze for a while. We saved up over a few months, talked about plans, and decided what would be best for our needs. In the end we bought two of these.

72_Inch_plastic-folding-table.gif

They do everything we need them to by having more space. No under-storage is needed because everything fits on the table. We had talked about fold out panels to hold laptops for those that bring them, but two of these side by side is plenty of room. We'd also talked about having the center raised so that books and papers could be slid under the mat.

I know it's not what you're looking for, but if space isn't an issue (or price is), it's worth looking into. The best part is that they fold up easily so they don't get in the way of the guy whose house we play at, and should we ever need to relocate we can pack them up and carry them out the door.

We did the same thing, except we purchased a 4' x 8' markerboard and put a grid on it. It works wonders!

Scribble

First Post
Under table storage is usefull.

I have an ikea dinning table we sometimes game on... It's a glass top, and has a metal shelf underneath. It's really handy to have books there. I've even had books under there that I leave open and glance at through the glass table top.

I think if I were building an ultimate table I'd add a plexiglass top, that sits in a frame. Make the plexiglass easy to pull up so you can put maps and notes and stuff under there.

On the DM side I'd want extra like "arms" that can pull out on either side of the DM to hold extra stuff... (like minis box, or extra books, or dice etc...)

RandomCitizenX

First Post
I actually already have a 4ft x 8ft table that one of my wife's friends had donated for her effects shop, but ended up being more than she needed. I am going to use that as the base and build from there (need to shorten the legs for instance). Only problem would be convincing her that we can fit it in the house :D

Darkwolf71

First Post
Under table storage is usefull.

I have an ikea dinning table we sometimes game on... It's a glass top, and has a metal shelf underneath. It's really handy to have books there. I've even had books under there that I leave open and glance at through the glass table top.
That's awesome.

I think if I were building an ultimate table I'd add a plexiglass top, that sits in a frame. Make the plexiglass easy to pull up so you can put maps and notes and stuff under there.
Definatly a plus. Problem I have with ours is that I can never seem to get any leverage to get the darn thing up. Thank God for girl gamers with strong fingernails. ;)

Scribble

First Post
That's awesome.

Definatly a plus. Problem I have with ours is that I can never seem to get any leverage to get the darn thing up. Thank God for girl gamers with strong fingernails. ;)

Hah! Yeah if I did it, I'd have to add a section that lets you slip your fingers under it... Like a part of the frame cut out or something...

Maybe you could get yourself a suction cup? Like the good kind that has the lever? Then again if the gamer girl fingernail thing works for you... why fix it? :p

Ydars

Explorer
My ultimate game table would include a glass top and a shelf underneath to put the 32'' flat screen TV that I use as a secondary screen for my laptop to create our battlemaps. The TV sits flat on top of the table at the moment, which is not ideal, as I am worried it will get stratched (by mini's) or someone will drop an drink on it.

I love making the maps in photoshop and revealing the dungeon slowly using various blending tricks. I even have one that simulates torches/lanterns perfectly.

Still, since I have been playing for 12 months the TV hasn't put in an appearance recently.

Remove ads