D&D 5E Ultimate Magic Playtesting to Start Next Week

xXxTheBeastxXx

Explorer
I would adore steampunk PF rules. That would be epic (though I don't know that they'd necessarily need new base classes for it. Some heavy archetyping, maybe, but not new classes altogether).

Regarding the UM playtest, though, I seriously hope we see some of the Words of Power system. I've been looking for a nice alternative to Vancian casting for a long time now (never been a fan of spell points, either), and I trust Paizo enough that I think they could come up with something I can grab onto.

Magus also sounds cool, but I'm wondering what will make it unique? Hopefully something more than "I cast spells through my sword! yay!"

EDIT: Concerning the base class limit thing, I'm happy they're choosing to peter out the classes. We don't need the glut of classes from 3.5, and honestly, 20 first party classes seems just about right (maybe too many). They're at 18 now with the Magus, and the only thing I can think of that they're missing is some sort of Artificer (which could be PrC'd, but I'd like to see a well thought out base class). It's unique enough that I think it could work, maybe by taking another chance on an alternate casting style like they did with the alchemist (which turned out beautifully).

Last edited:

ruemere

Adventurer
My hope for new spell system is something in in the vein of Monte Cook's Arcana Evolved - unified spell progression, readied spells, spell slot exchanges and spell templates. Or, at the very least, Trailblazer version.

Regards,
Ruemere

fireinthedust

Explorer
EDIT: Concerning the base class limit thing, I'm happy they're choosing to peter out the classes. We don't need the glut of classes from 3.5, and honestly, 20 first party classes seems just about right (maybe too many). They're at 18 now with the Magus, and the only thing I can think of that they're missing is some sort of Artificer (which could be PrC'd, but I'd like to see a well thought out base class). It's unique enough that I think it could work, maybe by taking another chance on an alternate casting style like they did with the alchemist (which turned out beautifully).

Mmm, I wouldn't hold my breath. Artificer is so WOTC/Eberron territory that creating one would risk copying it.

I think only doing classes as needed is a good idea. Anything Paizo puts out tends to be good (though I question Cha-based Summoners, frankly; would love justification on that one); so long as they do it with artistic integrity rather than to sell books, it should be alright. They have enough to do what they want now, so only if there's a totally new concept they've neglected should they both.

I *don't* think they should do a different class for Samurai than Fighter. It makes no sense to me. Real Samurai were fighters, and good ones. They could update unarmed combat maneuvers to include martial arts, but a whole new base class revolving around Samurai is too much. Same thing for Ninja: fighters with Acrobatics, Stealth and Climb, maybe Sneak Attack, maybe bluff and poison knowledge. Or Rogues. Either way, it can be done without a whole new class. WOTC's versions, btw, had really debatable powers; considering how useless many of them were, or arguable over whether or not a Ninja/Samurai would have them, I don't think they worked out. *a* build rather than *any* build.

Ok, time to sleep.

I couldn't spot the blurb on converting Paladins to Antipaladins; unless they just skip over to the dark side? Also, their touch of death power isn't as good as Channeling Negative Energy. The Paladin can heal their allies and damage Undead, but the Antipaladin has to touch each foe? Seems a bit unfair. Why not just give them the same power as their evil cleric allies? Just saying.

Last edited:

Starbuck_II

First Post
I *don't* think they should do a different class for Samurai than Fighter. It makes no sense to me. Real Samurai were fighters, and good ones. They could update unarmed combat maneuvers to include martial arts, but a whole new base class revolving around Samurai is too much. Same thing for Ninja: fighters with Acrobatics, Stealth and Climb, maybe Sneak Attack, maybe bluff and poison knowledge. Or Rogues. Either way, it can be done without a whole new class. WOTC's versions, btw, had really debatable powers; considering how useless many of them were, or arguable over whether or not a Ninja/Samurai would have them, I don't think they worked out. *a* build rather than *any* build.

It is more of an issue that Samurais were Fighters with selected feats and few masrerwork weapons.

Ninja, however, had poison use without being evil (not a common feature, usually you need evil like Assassin). They also have Improved Invisibility as a swift action a few times/day (1/2 level + wis/mod). Full attack sudden Strike with each useage (although uncanny dodge prevented SS sadly so you usually have to put ranks in bluff for Improved Fient feat vs Rogues/Barbarians).

Yes, they have a 4th level spell 1 rd with each useage. Rogue can't copy that till 9th level (assuming has a wand).

Granted they don't have normal sneak attack so that sucked. But at low levels they rocked (except level 1 when they didn't have Ghost step).

Last edited:

Erik Mona

Adventurer
Ugh, I hope not! Why limit themselves creatively? Granted, bloat is bad; but if they've got good ideas, and can do something fantastic, they should. This is Paizo. Yes, they might not want the bloat, but... well, hopefully this is an excuse to only make base classes that are fantastic.
I wonder if variations like the Antipaladin count? Or the variant options in the later issues of Dragon?

It turns out we're going to have 2-3 base classes/anti-paladin style "sub-classes" in Ultimate Combat, although the archetypes system we introduced in the APG will make it very difficult for many more base classes to make it into books, since most of those concepts seem to be relatively easy to pull off with an archetype.

We're still very concerned about rules bloat, but if the right class idea comes along, we'll still do it.

--Erik Mona
Publisher
Paizo Publishing

They did have a massive thread for folks to suggest names for the class months back. That was one one paizo picked off the thread. Could be worse at lest ya get what it is going in that being a caster of some type.

Remove ads