• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ultramodern 4 is on its way

Dias Ex Machina

Publisher / Game Designer
The mission of U4 is to present 4th EDITION rules for use in non-fantasy settings. These include pre-modern settings, contemporary settings, and those that are far flung fantastic and futuristic. U4 is perfectly suited for any of these following campaigns:

Cyberpunk
Espionage
Modern warfare
Space opera
Technofantasy
Urban fantasy
Wild west, with or without aliens

U4 has no included setting, allowing you to explore the rules in whatever context you wish. The rules are offered in a general way, not assuming any time period. The equipment lists a wide range of various firearms. Though most are modern, there are quite a few that are retro and futuristic.

Features:

--The new "Ladder" system which offers more adjustability with character creation. Modify your class with one of seven ladders.
--Eleven new classes including sniper, faceman, infiltrator, and the grappler.
--New armor including powered combat suits.
--New skills & feats.
--All new weapons including traditional firearms, rocket launchers, and laser rifles.
--Pimp your auto. Purchase vehicles and modify their features.
--All new opponents from fanatics to tanks.

We also can show off our new logo:

393683_305528639483035_118810444821523_799414_1174643122_n.jpg

And some preliminary sketches.
403174_307354069300492_118810444821523_803075_1920579789_n.jpg

376161_307354115967154_118810444821523_803076_1301608852_n.jpg

394257_307354162633816_118810444821523_803077_960273527_n.jpg

Argyle King

Legend
How does the system handle the D&D concept of levels when doing a modern game? Are epic level heroes capable of grappling tanks?

I'm curious what (if any) changes were made to the normal 4E assumptions about what level means to better support the feel of what people might expect from other genres.

Dias Ex Machina

We have added in hardness from D20 modern to prevent pistols from destroying tanks. We have also included "optional" rules for more realistic games. Modern classes also don't do weird things like fly or punch holes through brick walls. A low-level medic can patch holes on the fly while the high-level medic can perform brain surgery under fire and pull someone from death five minutes after the heart stops beating. A high level sniper can fire at targets beyond the sensible range of normal weapons. This is unrelated to tech levels, where a plasma pistol CAN punch a hole in a less advanced tank.

Dias Ex Machina

Yes. We are hoping to release a preview adventure. Also the rules themselves will be released for free without layout and art, technically an OGL. That will occur soon AFTER the release of the book.

Pour

First Post
Yes. We are hoping to release a preview adventure. Also the rules themselves will be released for free without layout and art, technically an OGL. That will occur soon AFTER the release of the book.

Great news. I fully intend to support this, both for its application potential in my current and future games, and because I believe in quality 4e 3pp support.

riotshieldnation

First Post

Wow, even cooler than expected! You've definitely got a sale from me for supporting Open Gaming.

I once tried to homebrew a 4e guns ruleset, and here's one that stumped me on realism vs gameplay. So for a sneak peek of a rule... What's your take on autofire vs semi-auto? Is it an AOE deal or is it multiple attacks? (If you're willing to divulge your secrets that is ;))

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads