• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Undead Origins

Voadam

Legend
Dungeon Crawl Classics #66: The Vampire's Vengeance
4e
Undead: ?
Vampire Spawn Fleshripper: ?
Keldoss, Battle Wight, Lieutenant, Undead Warrior: ?
Run-Down Skeletal Tomb Guardian: ?
Vampire Spawn Bloodhunter: ?
Boneshard Skeleton: Sliding through the grate is a slimy human skeleton, animated by fell magic.
Skeletal Guardsman: ?
Specter: ?
Battle Wight: ?
Ghoul: ?
Elziba Caulwik, The Crone of Tanglethorn Manor, Vampire Crone, Mistress, Greater Power, Vampiress Hag, Pariah, Crone, Canny Opponent, Key Villain, Monstrosity: Elziba swore Ramsgate would burn, but knew her mortal years were nearing an end. In desperation, she contacted the pariah Yenbrue clan, shunned for the dark secrets they hold. Through their auspices, Elziba was transformed into a vampire under the un-light of their god-being, Aubaridan Ahktar.
One such errand was to answer the plea of fellow pariah Elziba Caulwik, and through the blessing of Aubaridan Ahktar, the Devouring Star, she was remade into a vampire.
Undead Minion: ?
Vampire: ?
Danica Myrsil, Vampire Spawn Fleshripper: ?
Vampire Spawn: ?
Dormant Vampire: ?
Marauding Vampire: ?
Lesser Vampire: ?
Vampiric Minion: ?
Vampiric Spawn: ?
Vampiric Wretch: ?
Run-Down Skeletal Tomb Guardian, Skeleton of Unwholesome Size With Four Overlong Arms Grafted to its Ribcage, New Toy, Toy, Unholy Creature, Human Skeleton With Four Arms: ?
Skeleton: ?
Bonehsard Skeleton, Slimy Human Skeleton: ?
Skeletal Guardsman, Skeletal Warrior: ?
Specter, Vaguely Man-Shaped Form: ?
Battle Wight, Undead Husk of a Warrior: ?
Ghoul, Hairless Creature, Shriveled Mockery of a Human: ?

Last edited:

Voadam

Legend
E1 Orcus Conversion
4e
Undead: Orcus, the former servant of Nerull was now using to rise to power. It was obvious what the demon prince ambitions were. He had always coveted her throne. If he were to succeed, the world of the living would be a true nightmare. The borders between life and death would disappear. No mortal soul would ever reach the heavens and the homes of the gods. They would be doomed to an eternal life of undeath in a world of terror and hunger for living flesh.
Ghovran Akti: ?
Shadowclaw: ?
Blackstar Knight: ?
Abyssal Ghoul Horde: ?
Abyssal Ghoul Hungerer: ?
Rot Slinger: ?
Bone Naga Corruptor: ?
Undead Goristro: ?
Shadowclaw Nightmare: ?
Mauglurien, Death Knight Dwarf Warlord: ?
Rot Slinger Decayer: ?
Bonestorm: ?
Yannux, Nightwalker: ?
Shonvurru: ?
Ghostfire Flameskull: ?
Petrified Treant: ?
Dawnwar Ghost: ?
Voidsoul Specter: ?
Time Wraith: ?
Phane Wraith: ?
Flameharrow Lord: ?
Bodak Reaver: ?
Blaspheme Imperfect Keeper: ?
Blaspheme Disciple: ?
Blaspheme Fragment Keeper: ?
Blaspheme Knight Keeper: ?
Void Lich: ?
Portal Thing: ?
Immolith Claw: ?
Dracolich: ?
Larva War Master: ?
Beholder Death Emperor: ?
Horde Ghoul: Beholder Death Emperor Animating Ray.
Elder Arantham: ?
Great Flameskull: ?

Reanimating Ray (Necrotic): Ranged 10 (one creature); +27 vs. Fortitude; 3d10 + 16 necrotic damage. If the target is reduced to 0 hit points or fewer, the target rises as a horde ghoul under the beholder death emperor’s control at the end of its next turn.

Voadam

Legend
E2 Orcus Conversion
4e
Gorgimrith, The Hunger in the Mountains, Massive Undead Entity: Gorgimrith might be a fragment of a primordial entity of hunger.
Black Bloodspawn: Gorgimrith's progeny are called black bloodspawn, and they are the entity's primary means of devouring food.
Black Bloodspawn Devourer: ?
Black Bloodspawn Hunter: ?
Ghoul Whisperer: ?
Abyssal Horde Ghoul: ?
Ghoul Gatherer: ?
Ghoul Ripper: ?
Ghoul Warrior: ?
Ghoul Stalker: ?
Rot Harbinger: ?
Forsaken Hierophant Elder: ?
Undead, Undead Creature: ?
Abhorrent Reaper Terror: ?
Undead Deva Fallen Star Servitor: Deva Fallen Star Servitor Vile Rebirth power.
Soulspike Devourer Champion: ?
Kor-Karnaar, Death Knight: ?
Black Blood Bone Collector: ?
Slaughter Wight Ripper: ?
Ghoul King's Siegewyrm: ?
Sorrowsworn Dread Wraith: ?
Sir Deron, Demilich: ?
Lich Vestige: ?
Flameskull Vestige: ?
Doresain, Exarch of Orcus: ?

Vile Rebirth
Trigger: When the deva fallen star servitor is reduced to 0 hit points.
Effect: The deva fallen star servitor does not die and instead remains at 0 hit points until the start of its next turn, when it regains 25 hit points, loses resistance to radiant damage, and gains the undead keyword.

Voadam

Legend
E3 Orcus Conversion
4e
Abyssal Rotfiend: ?
Blackstar Knight-Commander: ?
Larva Warlord: ?
Vampire Lord Human Fighter: ?
Bonecrusher Skeleton Hulk: ?
Slaughter Wight Overlord: ?
Immolith Seeker: ?
Rot Harbinger Reaver: ?
Lich Castellan Wizard: ?
Dread Wraith Assassin: ?
Free-Willed Dread Wraith: Any humanoid killed by a dread wraith assassin rises as a free-willed dread wraith at the start of its creator’s next turn, appearing in the space where it died (or in the nearest unoccupied space).
Timesus, The Black Star: ?
Abyssal Madness Ghoul: ?
Demonic Skeleton Defilade: ?
Dread Wraith: Orcus's Master of Undeath power.

Master of Undeath
At the start of Orcus's turn, any creature killed by the Wand of Orcus that is still dead rises as a dread wraith under Orcus's command.

Voadam

Legend
From Here to There
4e
Vengeful Dead: A hanging tree can animate up to twenty vengeful dead at a time.
Kale Tane was tried and found guilty of stealing a good portion of his neighbor’s cattle by the local magistrate, Judge Cornelius Orril. Kale was in fact innocent and was framed by Judge Orril in order to keep Kale from marrying his daughter, Portia. For the first time innocent blood has stained the ground beneath the hanging tree, and the spirits of those slain there have awoken to right this injustice.
Hanging Tree Legion of the Wronged power.
Hanging Dead: Since they can only be created once per day by the hanging tree, they are sacrificed more carefully by the hanging tree.
Kale Tane was tried and found guilty of stealing a good portion of his neighbor’s cattle by the local magistrate, Judge Cornelius Orril. Kale was in fact innocent and was framed by Judge Orril in order to keep Kale from marrying his daughter, Portia. For the first time innocent blood has stained the ground beneath the hanging tree, and the spirits of those slain there have awoken to right this injustice.
Innocent Dead: ?
Juju Zombie: They are created from the corpses of fey creatures, combining the essences of the Feywild and the Shadowfell in a single terrifying undead abomination.
Juju zombies can only be created from the corpses of fey humanoids, usually elves or eladrin.
Juju zombies are the creations of the Winter Court of fey, sometimes called the Unseelie Court. The ruler of the Winter Court, an enigmatic entity known as the Queen of Air and Darkness, pushed Unseelie necromancers and warlocks to uncover the process of creating undead fey, something thought impossible. The Queen of Winter has seen her desires come to fruition, and the juju zombie is the result.
The satyr warlock, although twisted and evil, is a necromantic genius, and he has succeeded in combining the essence of the Feywild with the necromantic energies of the Shadowfell. The result is a horrific undead monstrosity known as a juju zombie; and it is in this beast that the Queen of Air and Darkness has shown keen interest.
He spent months attempting to combine the essence of fey with the black embrace of death, and when he finally succeeded, the four juju zombies were the result. Juju zombies can only be created from fey humanoids (eladrin, elves, etc.), and if any of the PCs happened to have fey blood, Tarthalus focuses his attacks on them.
In addition, there are copious notes on how to construct a juju zombie, which would be incredibly valuable to any necromancer.
Vengeful Dead, Skeleton, Body, Undead Controlled by the Tree, Undead Servant, Undead Minion: ?
Hanging Dead, Corpse, Composing Corpse, Undead Controlled by the Tree, Undead Servant, Undead Minion: ?
Innocent Dead, Corpse, Heavy Hitter, Undead Controlled by the Tree, Undead Servant, Undead Minion: ?
Kale Tane, Innocent Dead, Corpse: Kale Tane was tried and found guilty of stealing a good portion of his neighbor’s cattle by the local magistrate, Judge Cornelius Orril. Kale was in fact innocent and was framed by Judge Orril in order to keep Kale from marrying his daughter, Portia. For the first time innocent blood has stained the ground beneath the hanging tree, and the spirits of those slain there have awoken to right this injustice.
While Judge Orril has been fair most of the time, he recently abused his post to stop his daughter Portia from marrying a local farm boy named Kale Tane. Feeling his daughter should marry nobility—or at least a rich merchant—Judge Orril worked to break up their romance but failed at every turn. Despairing at last, Judge Orril bribed some recently captured bandits with their freedom in return for stealing a number of cows from one of the farms in Tarrow and hiding them on the Tane family farm. Kale Tane was framed for the crime and executed five days ago.
Juju Zombie, Particularly Horrid Form of Undead, Terrifying Undead Abomination, Creation, Undead Fey, Undead Abomination, Corporeal Undead, Walking Corpse, Undead Minion, Horrific Undead Monstrosity, Beast, Corpse-Like Humanoid, Undead Horror, Horrible Walking Corpse, Zombie-Like Creature: ?
Juju Zombie, Assassin: ?
Juju Zombie, Thief: ?
Undead, Undead Monster: ?
Corporeal Undead: ?
Battle Wight Commander: ?
Zombie, Common Zombie, Standard Zombie: ?

Legion of the Wronged (standard; at will)
The hanging tree summons another vengeful dead from the bones around its roots. It appears within 5 squares of the hanging tree and has the same initiative as the hanging tree. The hanging tree may only have twenty vengeful dead active at one time.

Last edited:

Voadam

Legend
H1-E3 Monster Update
4e
Zombie Rotter: ?
Zombie: ?
Skeleton Warrior: ?
Decrepit Skeleton: ?
Sir Keegan: ?
Gravehound: ?
Corruption Corpse: ?
Skeleton Sentinel: ?
Shallowgrave Wight: ?
Wight: ?
Boneshard Skeleton: ?
Bonecrusher Skeleton: ?
Flesh Ripper: ?
Chillborn Zombie: ?
Flameskull: ?
Headless Corpse: ?
Frightful Wraith: ?
Wraith Figment: When the [frightful] wraith kills a humanoid, that humanoid becomes a wraith figment at the start of this wraith's next turn. The new wraith appears in the space where the humanoid died or in the nearest unoccupied square, and it rolls a new initiative check.
Skull Lord: ?
Skeletal Tomb Guardian: ?
Wailing Ghost, Banshee: ?
Blackfire Flameskull: ?
Ghost Troll Render: ?
Drow Battle Wight: ?
Balthrad, Abyssal Ghoul: ?
Drow Horde Ghoul: ?
Ghoul Eyebiter: ?
Drow Battle Wight Commander: ?
Immolith: ?
Husk Spider: ?
Abyssal Ghoul: ?
Lareen, Vampire Lord: ?
Drow Vampire Spawn: ?
Sword Wraith: ?
Free-Willed Sword Wraith: Any humanoid killed by the sword wraith rises as a free-willed sword wraith at the start of its creator’s next turn, appearing in the space where it died, or in the nearest unoccupied space if that space is occupied.
Bodak Reaver: ?
Nightwalker: ?
Bodak Skulk: ?
Boneclaw Impaler: ?
Bone Naga: ?
Slaughter Wight: ?
Zombie Tombwalker: ?
Arath Nightcaller: ?
Demonic Flameskull: ?
Giant Mummy: ?
Lord Carrion, Death Knight: ?
Draconic Wraith Souleater: ?
Rot Harbinger: ?
Draconic Wraith: ?
Draconic Wraith Soulravager: ?
Boneclaw: ?
Xenro, Blackfire Dracolich: ?
Immolith Inferno: ?
Sage Ghost: ?
Magrathar, Larva Mage: ?
Draconic Wraith Soulbinder: ?
Ghovran Akti: ?
Shadowclaw: ?
Blackstar Knight: ?
Abyssal Ghoul Horde: ?
Bone Naga Corruptor: ?
Undead Goristro: ?
Shadowclaw Nightmare: ?
Mauglurien, Deathknight Dwarf Warlord: ?
Rot Slinger Decayer: ?
Bonestorm: ?
Yannux, Nightwalker: ?
Shonvurru: ?
Ghostfire Flameskull: ?
Petrified Treant: ?
Dawn War Ghost: ?
Flameharrow Lord: ?
Time Wraith: ?
Phane Wraith: ?
Blaspheme Imperfect Keeper: ?
Blaspheme Disciple: ?
Blaspheme Fragment Keeper: ?
Blaspheme Knight Keeper: ?
Void Lich: ?
Portal Thing: ?
Immolith Claw: ?
Dracolich: ?
Beholder Death Emperor: ?
Gorgimrith, The Hunger in the Mountain, Massive Undead Entity: Gorgimrith might be a fragment of a primordial entity of hunger.
Black Bloodspawn: Gorgimrith's progeny are called black bloodspawn.
Black Bloodspawn Devourer: ?
Black Bloodspawn Hunter: ?
Ghoul Whisperer: ?
Ghoul Gatherer: ?
Ghoul Ripper: ?
Ghoul Warrior: ?
Ghoul Stalker: ?
Forsaken Hierophant Elder: ?
Abhorrent Reaper Terror: ?
Soulspike Devourerer Champion: ?
Kor-Karnarr, Death Knight: ?
Black Blood Bone Collector: ?
Slaughter Wight Ripper: ?
Ghoul King's Siegewyrm: ?
Sorrowsworn Dread Wraith: ?
Free-Willed Dread Wraith: Any humanoid killed by the sorrowsworn dread wraith rises as a free-willed dread wraith at the start of its creator’s next turn, appearing in the space where it died (or in the nearest unoccupied space). Raising the slain creature (using the Raise Dead ritual) does not destroy the spawned wraith.
Any humanoid killed by a dread wraith assassin rises as a free-willed dread wraith at the start of its creator’s next turn, appearing in the space where it died (or in the nearest unoccupied space).
Sir Deron, Demilich: ?
Flameskull Vestige: ?
Doresain, Exarch of Orcus: ?
Abyssal Rotfiend: ?
Blackstar Knight-Commander: ?
Larva Warlord: ?
Vampire Lord Human Fighter: ?
Bonecrusher Skeleton Hulk: ?
Slaughter Wight Overlord: ?
Immolith Seeker: ?
Rot Harbinger Reaver: ?
Lich Castellan Wizard: ?
Beholder Eye of Death: ?
Dread Wraith Assassin: ?
Timesus, The Black Star: ?
Abyssal Madness Ghoul: ?
Demonic Skeleton Defilade: ?
Dread Wraith: Orcus's Master of Undeath power.

Master of Undeath
At the start of Orcus's turn, any creature killed by the Wand of Orcus that is still dead rises as a dread wraith under Orcus's command.

Reanimating Ray (Necrotic): Ranged 10 (one creature); +27 vs. Fortitude; 3d10 + 16 necrotic damage. If the target is reduced to 0 hit points or fewer, the target rises as a horde ghoul under the beholder death emperor’s control at the end of its next turn.

Last edited:

Voadam

Legend
H1 Conversion
4e
Undead, Living Dead, Undead Creature: ?
Vile Zombie: ?
Shadow: ?
Self-Loathing Undead Creature: ?
Sir Jerold Keegan, Kinslayer, Ghost: “Take a look at this poem I found in the ‘Collection of Lyrics from Melgold – The Mad Poet of Almhurst’
In shadowed keep of tumbled stone,
A peril lurks, for years unknown,
The Kinslayer's spirit guards it yet,
'Gainst a newfound vile threat.
The Kinslayer once was proud and strong,
Until the Blood Lord came along.
The thing of evil sent dark dreams,
Nightmares wrought of tortured screams,
The vowed defender's mind did bend,
And with his blade he did rend.
Awakened to the awful truth,
Shattered bones of men and youth,
His wife and children, pride and joy,
Mistaken for demons he was forced to destroy.
The Kinslayer fled to meet death alone,
For wicked deeds he must now atone,
And so the fallen paladin must wait,
For heroes to arrive and reverse his fate.
But twisted whispers echo through the halls,
And ghostly blood runs 'long the walls,
None can face those cursed remains,
Fear like water in their veins.
A Blood Lord follower from a cursed line,
Now threatens to awake the unholy shrine,
Dark power craves as men do thirst,
Confining spells to be reversed.
Storm clouds gather with the demon's approach,
And the living dead will soon encroach,
The forces of good will never survive,
For the Prince of the Undeath will soon arrive.
This poem sent me digging deeper into the fall of this Kinslayer and this is what I found: Within two short decades after the collapse of the Nareth Empire, Shadowfell Keep was abandoned and left to fall apart and decay. It was on a grisly night about eighty years ago that the lord and commander of the keep garrison, Sir Jerold Keegan, put into motion the events that led to the keep’s downfall.”
“Perhaps the Shadow Rift’s malign influence is too strong to resist. Maybe Sir Keegan was a crazed lunatic driven by demons we may never understand. Whatever the case, at the stroke of midnight on that fateful day, Sir Keegan began to systematically slaughter every resident of the keep, forever cursing the place. The author of the historical treatises speculates that he suffered paranoid delusions, for Keegan went on a rampage through the keep. His own wife and children were first to fall to his blade, then his trusted advisors, and finally many of the soldiers under his command. Sir Keegan was too skilled for any one soldier to defeat, yet eventually the garrison managed to respond with an organized defense. Although many brave soldiers died, they managed to inflict him a grievous wound that drove the mad knight to flee into the keep’s crypts were they finally managed to dispatch him.”
Sir Keegan’s ghost is said to roam the corridors beneath the ruins, wailing in grief over the tragedy of his life.
The PCs can find the following dark red scripts on the walls of the different areas:
Area 1:
• The Whispering in my head – will it ever end?
• Traitors! They are all traitors to the Blood Lord!!
• Blood. All the Blood. It is all for thee my Lord!
• The little girl, who was she? Her blood tasted like copper, but O so sweet. Master, who was she?
Area 5:
• The Shadows are whispering to me. They tell me secrets. They tell me to do things – horrible things.
• There are shadows in my head and blood on my hands. Who am I? When will it end?
• Get away from me. I do not want to see! NOO!
• Sweet blood – thou are my river and master
• The horned one is calling in my dreams, showing me things. Things that I have to do. He is my Master, he is my Lord.
Area 7:
• The door. I must open the door. He will be waiting for me on the other side
• O Master, I hear the steps of your cloven hooves echoing through the shadows. I will do as you have told me.
• Who are all these faces that try to stop me. Are they shadowy memories from another life? Master, enlighten me.
• Blood and shadows. Blood for shadows.
Area 8:
• The door. I must find the door. So much blood. Can’t see. Shadows everywhere
• No they have tricked me Master. They have locked me in. Release thy servant
• No master. Please no. I do not want to see. Do not show me. Don’t abandon me Master. I want to be in your shadow
• What have I done? NO
• Bahamut forgive me. This is the end.
Animated Skeleton: ?
Skeleton Warrior: ?
Undead Servant: ?
Zombie Rotter: ?
Decrepit Skeleton: ?
Gravehound: ?
Corruption Corpse: ?
Skeleton Sentinel: ?
Shallowgrave Wight: ?

Voadam

Legend
H2 Conversion
4e
Undead, Undead Creature: The Shadowfell is a twisted reflection of the living world, and its necrotic energies animates the undead.
In the Palace of Zaamdul he found what he had heard tales about in ancient tombs – the demonic machine that the minotaur high-priest Tzaruum’ze had created to be able to open a gigantic rift into the Shadowfell. He is in the process of restoring the machine that was damaged but not destroyed by the minotaur zealots of the Shrine of Baphomet. When activated, it will give him full control of all of the bronze warders within the mountain, and yet again will the Song of Breaking be heard within the Tunderspire Mountain. Their song will open the gates of the Sea of Shadow to flood the surrounding lands in darkness and undeath. Any army of undead will be raised from this flood wave of necrotic shadow water, of a size unheard of in modern times.
Flesh Ripper: Flesh Rippers are murderers who took pleasure in mutilating their victims before leaving the bodies to rot, which has been given undeath as a reward in their afterlife by Orcus.
Fearsome Undead: ?
Shadow Binder: When souls that have lived most of their lives chained, entrapped, enslaved, or in other ways bound against their will, they sometimes burn with a desire for revenge on the living. These dark souls are sometimes given a dark purpose by the Blood Lord, if he finds them fitting. They are given a chance to take revenge on the living for a lifetime of misery.
Mad Wraith Master: ?
Wraith Figment: When the [mad] wraith [master] kills a humanoid, that humanoid becomes a wraith figment at the start of this wraith’s next turn. The new wraith appears in the space where the humanoid died or in the nearest unoccupied space, and it rolls a new initiative check.
When the [mad] wraith kills a humanoid, that humanoid becomes a wraith figment at the start of this wraith’s next turn. The new wraith appears in the space where the humanoid died or in the nearest unoccupied space, and it rolls a new initiative check.
Specter: ?
Wraith Minion: ?
Kalarel, Shadow Lich, Shadowy Man: My Master has graced me with a second chance to put an end to your meddling.
Shadow Reflection, Shadowy Form, Shadow Minion: ?
Minotaur Skeleton: ?
Blazing Skeleton: ?
Elder Aranthem: ?
Mauglurien of the Ebon Riders: ?
Ghovran Akti the Planeweaver, Eladrin Necromancer: ?
Shonvurru the Blood Serpent: ?
Lesser Perditazu, Maze Demon: ?
Mad Wraith: ?
Poltergeist: ?
Taurus Zabath, Ghost, Spectral Minotaur Ghost: Behold the final resting place of the high priest Taurus Zabath, denied the final rest for my betrayals of Baphomet the Horned King, my former master. I was the one that saved the minotaurs of Saruun Khel from the vile plans of Orcus, the Blood Lord. But it was only through the guidance of the Raven Queen I could create the artifact that led to the death of the treacherous Tzaruum’ze, high priest of Orcus – the one that betrayed his kindred for the promises of unlife.
Az'Al'Bant, Deathlock Wight: ?
Rotwing Zombie: ?
Foul Undead Horror: ?
Undead Horror: ?
Undead Minotaur: ?
Wight: ?
Boneshard Skeleton: ?
Skeletal Minotaur: ?

Last edited:

Voadam

Legend
H3 Conversion
4e
Ashgaunt, Desiccated Corpse With Dark Nails Shriveled Features and Evil Gleaming in its Eyes: ?
Zombie Rotter: Ashgaunt Wake the Dead power.
Undead Guardian: ?
Grave Harpy: Wizards argue what makes some harpies to rise as grave harpies after their death. Some argue that there must be some foul necromantic ritual involved, while other argue that it has do with the harpies fey spirit itself being trapped between the Shadowfell and the Feywild, resulting in these vile abnormalities.
Dangerous Undead: ?
Vicious Undead: ?
Vile Abnormality: ?
Powerful Undead Master: ?
Battle Wight Commander: ?
Foul Undead: ?
Undead Warrior: ?
The Revenant of Ruin, Revenant Invoker 7: The Rod of Ruin was created under the guidance of Orcus to break down the boundaries of the multiverse, opening gates to the Shadowfell in order to spread the demon lord’s armies and will to the world of the living. Karavakos have managed to control the Rod of Ruin from within the pyramid, influencing the wielder of the Rod and sending them on a quest into the Pyramid of Shadows to kill his shards. Orcus does not like this – not at all. He wants Karavakos soul, as was the original contract, signed in blood by Karavakos for the demon hordes he received.
As the players step into the Pyramid of Shadows, the Rod of Ruin is instead influenced by Orcus who use it as a mean to bring his will into the demiplane which is the Pyramid of Shadows. Something he has been unable to do since creation of it by the combined efforts of fey and human wizards. The artifacts entrance into the prison demiplane suddenly gives him a mean of access, however small it is.
As the wielder of the Rod of Ruins enters the demiplane that is the Pyramid of Shadows, the living entity that is the Rod of Ruin merges with the wielder of the rod, and both contest for the supremacy of the wielders body – or rather the new body or aspect of the body that arises within the demiplane. Few mortals can win such a battle and in the end the mind of the Rod emerges as a revenant within the demiplane - becoming the will of Orcus - the means for the demon lord to reach his ends. This new being, however temporary and bound to the morphic laws of this demiplane, is conscious of its original past and history, but also have some knowledge and memory or the purpose of the Rod.
Revenant: A revenant arises not as an aimless corpse of a life lost but as the embodiment of a lost soul given new purpose. Such a creature walks in two worlds. Though the revenant moves among the throngs of the living, it has a phantom life—a puppet mockery of the existence its soul once knew. The revenant is an echo haunted by the memory of itself.
Undead Follower: ?
Living Dead: As the goddess died, so did her realm and everything around you. Your Master channeled it into the Shadowfell where he could hide it and you were given the task to cultivate it for future use. Together, your master weak from the effort, you channeled the dark energies of the Shadowfell to raised the slain residents as the living dead.
Chillborn Zombie: ?
Flameskull: ?
Headless Corpse: ?
Frightful Wraith: ?
Wraith Figment: When the [frightful] wraith kills a humanoid, that humanoid becomes a wraith figment at the start of this wraith's next turn. The new wraith appears in the space where the humanoid died or in the nearest unoccupied square, and it rolls a new initiative check.
Skull Lord: ?
Skeletal Tomb Guardian: ?
Wailing Ghost, Banshee: ?

R Wake the Dead (necrotic) * Recharge 5 6
Effect: Ranged 20 (targets up to 4 destroyed undead creatures reduced to 0 hit points within range); the targets become zombie rotters, which fight on the behest of the ashgaunt until the end of the encounter or for 5 minutes, whichever comes first. The zombie rotters rise as a free action, and act after the ashgaunt in the initiative order.

Last edited:

Remove ads