Under A Darksun: PART I SEGMENTS 1-124

Roman

First Post
I love Dark Sun, but I do not know the world well and certainly not in detail, so I will not even notice if you change things around. Hopefully (I am sure), your story will teach me something more about Dark Sun. :)

The only thing I have changed greatly at this point is the availibility of metal. I did that strictly because of the concerns of doing hardness, item hp and working out the money.

Eventually, (though maybe not ever seen here) I want to develop the gods/elementals lords better. Either I will reintroduce the gods or develop specific ementals with personalities and defined domains. Currently, I do divine worship as one domain= 1 of 8 elemets/paraelements and the second domain reflects cleric's personality. The exception being Templars whom use the Evil Domain then choise one elemental domain.

This said, I plan to explore Nibenays templerate and nobles in the next story arc then move away from the city and explore other cities.

UNDER A DARKSUN
SEGMENT 017
“Stuck”

“I don’t think they’re coming after us”, answers Mania quietly.

Dutch says nothing. He just continues to stare at the dim light above them….

Another 30 minutes go by and Mania begins to move away from the crack in the ceiling where they fell in. Dutch is no longer as tense but remainds mindfull of the entrance.

“That was something else. We slid down many feet of earth and sand then through that crack and down twenty feet. If not for the loose sand, we would have broken something falling into here…where is here?”, Mania inquires now relieseing that this is no cave or pit.

“It is man made….hasen’t been used in a loooong time. Perhaps a tomb or ruin”, replys Dogg. “I still haven’t found a way out.”

“Humph” is all Dutch can answer.

Knowing he led them into this and may now have them all trapped, Mania remains quiet and decides to look about.

Little light streams in from the long curving tunnel that leads to the damaged ceiling. He can only make out slight images and forms. By his guess, they are in a 30x30 room with a ceiling 20+ feet above. All stone and well done. Dozens of large 4ft tall ceramic pots line the walls. Uncertain of what he sees on the walls he moves closer to them. “Reading” them by feel, Mania trys to get a mental picture of the deep carved reliefs that fill the area of 5ft to beyond his reach. Under five foot are two inches marking…possibly a code or language.

“What do you make of it Dogg? He asks”

“Tombs are not my thing but I know a bit about them. There are carving of a language that I doubt is common. The carvings are those of humaniods. Based on the carvings, an extinct race. They are big and tall. Large pointed noses with course hair braided like that of Urikittes. Not sure of the meaning, but the sun is depicted several times. It either was a source of worship or of great danger. Over here has a curious depiction. A large human, over weight, is carried by several other humans. These big humaniods are either worshiping him or begging or pleading for something. Wish I knew more ancient history.”, replys continuing to search the walls.

Dutch, satisfied the Gith are not following them or aware of their location, rises up and fumbles through his pack. Pulling out two torches and several stones wrapped in leather, he strikes the stones together several times before getting sparks. Several more strikes before he gets a spark that ignites a torch. “We search for a means out before anything else. Come dusk- the torches go out. We don’t need to alert the gith of our location.”

He hands one torch to Mania and instructs him to follow Dogg to give him light. With the other torch he too searches about, only he searches for threats and dangers instead of a means out.

Peering carefully at the vases, he pulls out one sword and lifts up a lid. Dust. Whatever it contained has dried up and turned to dust. He moves onto the next vace and the next until he has looked at about 15 vases. All of them several inches of blackish-brown dust and rotted organic material.

For the next two hours Dogg looks for a way out and finds none. “I know there has to be a way out,” summises Dogg.

If you have food rations- conserve them. I may be able to summon up water once a day but I can’t even guarentee that. Dutch sits down.

“We’re stuck aren’t we?”

Well, Roman, I saw you're checking out the PbP also now. What are your thoughts there? Is Krook a stinker or what. Funny thing about him- he is a [secret]...and no one knows it! Not even the Templars!

I am trying for memorible NPCs in both games....have I achieved that?

UNDER A DARKSUN
SEGMENT 018
“Nibenese forces”

Jocasta was not sure of Keela’s tactics. Keela was in command however as decreed by the High Templar. She was given use of 2 ½ Giants and 9 human “guards”. They were just thugs to her. The thirteen of them walked most of the day directly to the nearest post with no attempt at scouting or preparing for the worse. Jocasta was uncertain if this was the arrogance of the templar Keela, or Veela’s attempt at getting rid of the lower templar. Either way, this method was unwise.

She would have normally not gone but her friends were out there…hopefully still alive. It had been several days now since leaving them. She wanted to gather her own force but her father forbid it. This was now a templar issue. The boys would be fine.

She and Keela walked sorrounded by the humans with bows ready. The two ½ Giants, Keg and Zeg were brothers. Each were 10 feet tall of rippling muscles and bad manners. The Datchi clubs they each carried had various colored hairs pinched between the hard wood and the imbedded obsideon and stone shards. It was very macabre.

Keela now wore magical armor and carried a large shield and heavy mace, undoubtably magical also. Generally, Jocasta avioded talking to templars but this one wouldn’t shut up. She was a noble’s daughter and thought herself a gift to all men to look at and desire. Such arrogance and greed. A perfect templar.

The gith saw the dust cloud long before they saw it’s source. They had gathered into a group of 17 made from three patrol groups. Each thought it was a stupid caravan deserving to be over thrown. Reghast would be proud of them if they took it and brought to her shiney things and food (caravaners). When the templar’s forces were seen for what it was the gith were disappointed but still eager to attack. It was afterall what Reghast wanted of them.

Most of these gith were not yet true Blue Bones. They were survivors of clan meetings involving joining Reghast. Those that said no died horribly. Most of these gith needed to prove themselves first. Perhaps that is why they continued on even after recognizing Keg and Zeg as being ½ Giants.

They stood there a few moments too long amazed and uncertain of this battles outcome when they were spotted by the sharp eyed humans…humans with drawn bows! To turn back now would mean facing Reghast later. Better to fight ½ Giants and humans in masse.

Keela commands the ½ Giants to charge once she felt they were in range. She herself turned inward quietly and her skin glistened from the effort. The humans began to shoot arrows onto the charging Gith. Few hit the hunched over gaunt creatures as they hopped one foot to the other making it hard to strike them. The ½ Giants snarl and bellow with raised clubs. One Gith noticeably goes wide to aviod his long reach.
The Gith spread out hoping to thin out the humans whom seem to be protecting someone or something important within it’s midist. Jocasta, hating combat, summons up a Spiritual Club to strike at a safe distance behind the templar and much of her guards.

Keela cunjures up her own Spiritual Heavy War Mace and strikes the closest unsuspecting gith whom now (too late) notices a templar is within the group. More arrows are shot by the human host driving the charge to grind to a halt. The ½ Giants continue their own ways killing one with a wide but strong sweep of it’s weapon, adding greenish-grey skin now to the gore. Zeg strikes one hard enough to break several bones and burst several organs. It still feeblily trys to swing but finds it is very dark to do so. Jocasta calls up a Celestrial Dog to protect the humans holding off a flanking attempt by the gith.

Keela swings her heavy mace missing but close enough to hold back the gith before her. Her magical force weapon continues to batter at a gith attacking the easier targets of the humans before her. The human guards are ill suited for this mission. They try all they can but must switch to swords for melee combat. Many of them are forced to toss their bows aside as they are hurried by the advancing gith. Both ½ Giants miss while caught up in the glee of combat, the gith around them however do not. Minor cuts and bruises begin to appear on their exposed legs. Two humans go down in a sickening blood filled strikes. This allows the LG dog to strike but does little but give cover. Jocasta decides to Bless her “teammates”. Hopeing that will aid in defeating these creatures.

Keela strikes with a massive downward stroke. The gith is blinded and badly injured. The human guards begin to rally a bit as they now begin to create flanking formations to confuse and entrap the humaniods. The ½ Giant Keg clears the gith around him while Zeg remains surrounded by four. The gith do poorly this time but do savagely injure one human guard. Jocasta, sensing this is not going well draws apon a tatoo she has on her forearm. It is laregly hidden under her bracers. The hammer shaped tatoo seems to take on a life of it’s own as it whirls about along the ground striking an amused gith whom no longer is amused by this trickery!

Blinded, the Gith takes another strike that breaks bones within it’s slightly reptilian hide from Keela. A few Gith begin to get worn down and succomb as the humans weed out the weak from the strong. One gith non-magically takes flight through the air as a ½ Giant (Zeg) critically strikes the already badly damaged gith. His strike continues down onto a surprised gith watching it’s clan brother soar. Startled but not done, the gith press on giving Keg a serious calf injury. Two humans drop then another. Jocasta reluctantly pulls out her club and moves into the existing humans to fight in direct melee. The whole time hoping Keela has Curing spells at the ready…assuming a templar has some.

Keela dispatches the broken and blooded gith a moves into a position where she can strike, but to be struck involves the gith to move by her guards. The humans rally as they see the oncoming ½ Giants whom now join them. Too bad the gith didn’t see them. Four go down as Keg nearly cuts one in two with his club killing it instantly and pieces of body and the club pummel another into darkness; all in one swing. Then Zeg strikes critically tent-posting his already bleeding foe. Jocasta strikes one with her club during the chaos. It is now she relieses her summoned dog has already left the battlefield.

With only himself left, Drenz, the last surviving Gith desides to bolt. He successfully does so leaving Keela and Jocasta the job of saving lives.

Jocasta begins her healing using sweat and water. Keela has but one healing spells to use. Pressured to use it by Jocasta, she uses it to save the life of her worthless guard. She makes sure he screams louder and longer being healed then when receiving the wound.

“Will you continue to barge in or will you listen to me now Keela,” asks Jocasta angerly. The two ½ Giants move beside the templar uncertain what to do but willing to do whatever it may be come that time. There are too many Gith to charge in. We- YES we need to plan this out more.”

The two spirited women stare hard and unforgiving at each other. Everyone else uncertain what to do remain alert to protect the templar.

Perhaps that is why the undead get so close…

UNDER A DARKSUN
SEGMENT 019
“Skeletal Charge”

“Barge in!” Keela screams loudly. “What do you mean by that?!?” Energy crackles around her medallion calling for to use it.

“You are forwarning the gith that we are here. We defeated this group but one got away. Others will be warned and more will come- Many More!”

“Did you ever think that is what I want?!?”

“Want! Want! You want them to charge into us from an ambush!”, I have witnessed it. These Gith are not be be taken lightly! They….oh….crap…..”

Following Jocasta’s stare, the Nibenese templar force turn and see several rows deep of charging skeletons.

The human forces divid in two groups- the barely recovering group move to the back. The stronger but by no means 100% members go before Keela. Keela, wide eyed, fumbles for a horn hanging on her pack. She finds it and brings it to her mouth. “Back to the Gray for you you bastards…” and she gives one sharp but long blow into the horn. Powerful sonic waves blast out taking three human guards down and destroying 24 skeletons in full charge. Dust lifts high and wide from it. Jocasta is shocked. The blast has given away any chance of getting close undetected and the rush of sonic force has driven a plumb of dust and sand into the air giving away their exact position!!!!!! The remaining skeletons, undaunted by the show of force, charge into the group. Jocasta is hit hard by a spear. The force so great she can not do nothing but grunt hard at the grinning skeleton before her.

The remaining skeletons go down quickly as the ½ Giants Keg and Zeg move it turning them into boney power with each strike of their Datchi clubs. The human guards and Keela finish off the rest as the bleeding and aghast Jocasta looks at the three downed guards…downed by Keela and her blasted magical horn.

She stabilizes each but can do little else to help them. She looks at Keela with utter contempt.

Keg spots several gith on a rock pointing to them. “Thin lizard men look at me….point at me..”

“We WILL discuss this later”, each say to the other as if in stereo before gathering up the three unconscience men and moving away quickly.

UNDER A DARKSUN
SEGMENT 020
“Secrets Revealed”

“You know Dogg….it could be worse….a lot worse.” Mania says staring at the dark ceiling in a very dark room. “We came out here on an adventure to discover the answers to several mysterys.”

“Several?” Dogg replys staring at the tip of his favorite knife.

“Yes. Several… I’m no complete fool. You guys are checking me out. I can tell by the questions you ask and the looks Dutch gives me.”, Mania turns onto an elbow to better face his rogueish friend. “All you guys need to do is ask. I don’t recall much but I’ld tell you everything I remember.”

Dogg looks at him for a moment freezing in motion, then goes back to inspecting his knife. Several moments go by…. “Okay…I can tell you want to tell me so tell me” he answers while putting the blade back into his hip sleeve.

“Well..in truth I remember little. I guess the slavers hit me harder than I thought. I remember growing up in a slave tribe. I don’t remember names but I do remember faces. I remember several strangers coming into the village yearly. One of the people would always take me to gather water and seeds when they came. One was a mysterious almost elven woman. The other two were tall thin red heads…1/2 elves I think. I always knew it it was about me. What I don’t know.”

Dutch settles down next to Dogg. “What makes you think they were elven?”

“They were tall and thin…mysterious even.” Mania replys happy that Dutch has taken interest in him.

“Could be elves….not many have red hair however. Did they ever show a talent for psionics?” He says without looking towards him.

“Not that I remember” pausing for a moment….”Why?”

“Tall, gaunt and mysterious fits several races…..”, Dogg looks up suddenly suspecting the answer, “Could even be a new race….or Villichi Preistesses.” Offers Dutch.

Dogg settles back thankful he did not mention the one race that fit the description and the mysterious motiff. In his past dealings with persons wearing a veil, he had heard of a near extinct race called Pyreen. They were druids and agents of the planet itself that learned to not combat the defilers head on but in secret ways. Much like a rogue. Only, their ways of combating the defilers took place over decades, even centuries of time. Dogg couldn’t comprehend that kind of patience…it was beyond humanly possible.

“Villichi… That rings a bell but I couldn’t tell you how. As Preistesses, who do they follow? “, inquires Mania with a thoughtful look on his face. He honestly couldn’t remember….

“They follow no one element or modern god. They are an order. All of them are born special. They are born tall , with fiery orange hair and have developed psionics at a very young age…some within their first year of growth. They have a hidden temple somewhere west of here. Sometimes the go on journeys through the valley in search of knowledge and others like them. If ever you meet one, treat her with great respect…they deserve it” Dutch almost shows a look of compassion or feeling and emotions at that brief moment.

“Yes, well last year my village was ravaged by a sand storm that tore and ripped about houses. Many people died by the force of the sand tearing into them. It was horrible. I remember it well but in a way of if you looked at pictures…not experienced them.” Mania is speaking quietly and distantly now. The memories proving overwhelming for him. “I began to wonder the desert looking for help or other survivors then.”

Dutch bites on his tongue. He tenses up and gives off a growl not heard as much as felt.

“I recall nearly dieing of dehydration…” Mania goes on, “…but I saw this stupid bird. Everywhere I went, there it was. Whenever I was willing to give up, it would annoy me, forcing me to go on out of spite. Damn thing saved my life I guess…it lead me to an oasis.” Mania shifts in the sand seat he had created feeling uncomfortable talking about a bird that saved his life.

“I stayed here for another day trying to recover when Geraldzon’s men found me. They surprised me, used nets and the way to subdue me. Next thing I knew I was on a slave ship with several other humans, a dwarf and a elf whom said he was a prince.” Mania rubs his head at the memory. “That’s about when you found me.”

“Mania…I know you seek acceptance with us but it’s been crazy lately. House Shom and the Shadows are having an on/off relationship lately. Everyone else is caught in the middle. Now you are also,” answers Dogg. “We all have secrets. Most can be shared with a select few..I’m glad you shared yours with us. It suggests trust.”

Mania…expecting more, waits

Dutch slumps down…”your turn for watch…and Mania- tommorrow I’ll start to go over the weapon training you hinted at earlier.” And just like that Dutch closes his eyes and goes to sleep.

Dogg smirks and curls up.

Mania is happy but also feels there is more to his story…..”why can’t I remember…?”

Horacio

LostInBrittany
Supporter
How have I manage to not see this story until now?

Wonderful, you have got me hooked to your story! More, I want more! :)

'allo H. I've been waiting for a Hive member to check this out and report. If you like this, you'll like Killer in Kalidnay also.

Enjoy

I hope to get a few more Segments in today so that I can start the second story arc next week. Deals with the Nibenese nobles, templars and merchant houses a bit. Game politics...nothing like them.

That is of course if everyone can regroup and deal with Reghast and her Blue Bone gith!

UNDER A DARKSUN
SEGMENT 021
“Reflections”

“You’re over stepping on the follow through Mania. Watch me.” Dutch swings his short sword in his right hand then steps in and swings his left hand. “To fight with two separate weapons at once you need to build a rythum. It’s not hack n’ slash.”

Mania trys again. His impressive grace almost covers up his poor posture.

“ehhh! Take a break Mania,” the secretly impressed Dutch grumbles.

In the two days they have been down here Dutch has not only come to like and admire the kid, but come in awe of him. He is overwhelmingly fast, strong and smart….smart-mouthed that is. Everything in his gut says this boy is special. No one is just born this good, this talented. The Nature’s Defender continues to watch Mania as he continues to practice with a grin only seen on children. His missing history disturbs Dutch however. Was he a victum of a mind-bender or was it a truth that was just too damning powerful for his innocent mind to handle? This boy would make or break any group…that was clear.

This entire trip was beset by omens. Greene Blewes had a powerful dream. He confided in him about this. A dream calling to him. A dream about water…lots and lots of water. A place of peace and hope. It sounds grand…too grand. But Greene was hooked. Dutch had seen that look before. He or another group were going to be sent to Tyr in search of information. It wasn’t so much destiny but an accepted truth.

Mania swings high then low twirling then runs and jumps onto a large clay vase pretending to be fighting gith.

“Watch those pots! Have some damned respect for this tomb!”. Secretly he hopes it will not be there tomb also. They had tried throwing ropes up but to no avail. Dogg searched for secret doors but found none. Mania broke three pots and nearly his elbow trying to stack then climb up the pile to reach the ceiling. Everyone knew there was a way out…but where?

Mania noisily runs across the row of pots, cracking several. He leaps up onto the wall and back flips into a fighting stance. With a big smile, he awaits applause. After getting none, he continues his game of combating phantom gith.

The people Mania described has Dutch’s curiousity as well. He has a sinking feeling that was a pyrenn accompanied by two Villichi. If so, this boy was especially important. The thought of it, the responcibility of it, bothered Dutch to his stoic simple core. Could he train such a boy? Could he make sure he did not become another Valsavis? How long until the Veiled Alliance made a move. Certainly by now, their watchers have seen the boy and are judging him even as Greene is.

“OW!”
Dutch turns to see Mania upended beside a tall pot. “That’ll teach you boy’” is all he can say.

“No Dutch- he was tripped on something…I saw it.” Dogg looks around then sees it. An impossibly thin bland colored cord, thickly covered by webs and silt is found. Looking to the wall, Dogg follows it and finds a hidden seam in the wall- behind the vases. Dogg turns over his shoulder- “oh Duuutch…” he almost sings.

Remove ads