Undermountain Campaign

wwanno

First Post
Hello there boys and girls!

I want to run an Undermountain campaign, character will start at 1st level (so they will have 20+ levels to spend exploring).

I want ideas, villains (with their reasons, motivations and interactions between power groups), I want Skullport, I want lore and maybe a little plane-walking. . . I want it epic!

More than anything else I want your help flashing out this huge dungeon, and I will be very grateful to anyone willing to help.

Let's start!

I read here & there and I found that the House Anteos of Waterdeep is involved in slave business, Hletvagi Anteos (unknown to most people) is a cleric of Loviatar (7th level on the 2E book "Ruins of Undermountain", 10th level on the 3E book "Expedition to Undermountain". I own both books). The Anteos business in Undermountain and Skullport allow them to obtain "exotic" merchandise in abundance to sell at lower prices in their Waterdeep storehouses. This could be a nice reason to get the player involved in Undermountain. Representative of the others mercant noble houses (whose business is ruined becouse of Anteos lower prices) hire them to track down the source of those items. The PCs have to find their way to skullport, where they uncover the source of the exotic items and the involvment of house Anteos with slavers. But things are never easy, and Hletvagi Anteos is member of a noble house, and spend most of his time in the city above (using spells and an orc shaman to rule in the north-east portion of the 1st level of the dungeon complex). PCs have to find proofs in order to accuse him in public (or they may kill him, breaking the law in the process)

So this first part of the plot let the players explore the first 3 levels of Undermountain.
First great problem. I wil have to map the dungeon's levels, but I am unable to find on the net maps of levels 2 & 3 (and I WILL NEVER WRITE numbers on the original ones of the boxed set). I found a great map of level 1 on WotC website.

So, who is going to help me?

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
Do you have a DDi subscription? If so, I would strongly recommend downloading The Xanathar article from Dungeon 206 which gives you a rough outline of a campaign involving the eponymous beholder crime lord. That should tie-in nicely to your plans for House Anteos.

I am surprised you haven't been able to find the maps from levels 2 and 3 on the 'net. After all, they're in the first Ruins of Undermountain and that was one of the PDF products WotC began selling back in 2000 (?) or so.

Personally, if I was going to run an Undermountain-focussed campaign I would use the marvellous cover art from Scoundrels of Skullport to inspire the overall theme: Halaster, the Xanathar, and a mind flayer make a perfect triumvirate of villains, and any one of them could be the real power behind House Anteos... or not.

Edit: PS: Welcome to ENWorld.

wwanno

First Post
I'll check dungeon 206. And scoundrel of skullport too.
I won't buy a pdf if I already have the old box set.

Thank you.

zepherusbane

Explorer
I suppose you could scan in your original map one section at a time if you didn't want to also purchase the PDF. Technically they are two separate products, owning the box doesn't automatically give you the right to a free copy of the PDF.

Remove ads