Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana Compendium PDF

Horwath

Legend
Copyright doesn’t stifle creativity, it encourages it. Lack of protection is what stifles it because people just steal your stuff rather than create their own. With copyright, you have to be creative with your own ideas.

It’s pretty simple. If a person creates something that has value and others want, they should be the beneficiary for as long as it has value. There’s a whole lot of selfish entitlement for someone to argue they should profit off of someone else’s work after X amount of time. Create your own stuff.

And phrases like “pitiful work” and “if you can’t keep cranking out equally popular stuff, then don’t be a writer” I find full of contempt, and tells me a lot about the person making them. Especially if the person never had success themselves. Jealousy. And greed.

I did not say that their work was pitiful as a whole.

I said that the work is pitiful in comparison to generating income 100 years after artist dies and how many years he/she lives after the making of the artwork.

I.E. singers;

I am huge fan of Iron Maiden and I was on 5 concerts(would be on alot more if they had more close by). But I do not own any CDs of theirs. Because I hold no value of CDs over live concerts.
I can listen for free on Youtube or if they come on some radio station.
I value their work they put in on concerts and the mood and atmosphere that is there.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yeah, copyright is a good tool to help artists benefit from their work, but the system has been mangled and broken so that public domain is being robbed.

Copyright is not necessary for creativity, as evidenced by thousands of years of human history prior to the 18th century...

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
"We should make a compedium of the UA articles. In fact here, I did it."

Two years passes, nobody seems to care much about the UA compedium, updating stops due to lack of interest, the topic fades into the background.

All of a sudden...thread necromancy for no apparent reason by a new user...people replying to posts from two years ago....COPYRIGHT ISSUES! GAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

?

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
"We should make a compedium of the UA articles. In fact here, I did it."

Two years passes, nobody seems to care much about the UA compedium, updating stops due to lack of interest, the topic fades into the background.

All of a sudden...thread necromancy for no apparent reason by a new user...people replying to posts from two years ago....COPYRIGHT ISSUES! GAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

?
The Internet is ForeverTM

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Copyright doesn’t stifle creativity, it encourages it. Lack of protection is what stifles it because people just steal your stuff rather than create their own.

Again, copyright for fiction is a lot more recent than fiction itself. It's demonstrably false that people wouldn't make up stories if copyright didn't exist, because that describes the vast majority of human civilization.

I also think it's naive as hell to think money is the only thing that motivates creative output, but that's just me.

And phrases like “pitiful work” and “if you can’t keep cranking out equally popular stuff, then don’t be a writer” I find full of contempt, and tells me a lot about the person making them. Especially if the person never had success themselves. Jealousy. And greed.

Oh yes, now this on the other hand, sure. People should be able to make a living on their artistic endeavors for a good long while. I'm not even sure I'd argue against "life of the author" (and maybe even a plus one for the family because dying in this day and age is stupidly expensive). Shakespeare got to get paid, son (and in a time where he didn't have copyright protections, either! Imagine that!)

But it's also, again, inarguable that copyright does stifle creativity. I mean, I guess you can argue against it, but you'd be wrong. Why?

There’s a whole lot of selfish entitlement for someone to argue they should profit off of someone else’s work after X amount of time. Create your own stuff.

Because there is nothing new under the sun. Vast swathes of our popular culture were not the product of genesis but rather of synthesis. Stories don't spring forth fully formed from the forehead of Zeus. They are, by and large, the product of other stories. The Disney Canon. Most of Shakespeare's works. Star Wars.

See, no one's arguing you should be able to copy a work whole cloth and start selling it yourself as your own work. But where copyright gets overzealous is in the way stories that exist within it can be used in the process of synthesizing new works. The vast universe of Star Wars or Star Trek inspire you to tell your own story, even with your own unique characters, personal contributions to the worldbuilding? Sucks to your assmar, Piggy, that's "fan fiction", and you're not allowed to profit from your creative output, because it shares one particular aspect with somebody else's. File all the serial numbers off, make a few tweaks to it? Nope, you're still liable bub.

Even if you could make a really good case, and even if the people suing you believe you, they still have to sue you. That's how current copyright law really screws with creative development. Why do they have to take your ass to court? Because otherwise they could be seen as not actively protecting their copyright, and then poof, it disappears. It's why you can't name your video game Scrolls without Bethesda sending a C&D. It's why you don't really see laser swords in a lot of things, in spite of laser swords being objectively awesome. And here's the thing... even fighting a completely baseless and frivolous lawsuit is expensive as heck. So even if Joe the Plumber has never even heard of a Star War before, if his debut novel has laser swords and telekinesis in it, he's going to get a letter from Disney, and odds are, he's not going to be able to afford to fight it.

And this kind of thing is happening all the damn time. And if you think that's good for creativity? For the enrichment of popular culture? Well, you're wrong.

Mistwell

LOL. Alright, Mistwell! I'll stop poking the bear with a stick. Pinky Swear!

Oh I don't care if you do. Poke away. In fact copyright bothers me in the same sense democracy bothers me. I know it doesn't work great, and it's not working as intended, but it's still better than any other system I've seen discussed. But if you can find the better answer, you should. And discussing it is one way to find that better answer. I just thought it was a curious turn of events.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Oh I don't care if you do. Poke away. In fact copyright bothers me in the same sense democracy bothers me. I know it doesn't work great, and it's not working as intended, but it's still better than any other system I've seen discussed. But if you can find the better answer, you should. And discussing it is one way to find that better answer. I just thought it was a curious turn of events.

I think copyright was working fine, up until the extent began getting pushed out. I find it interesting that the same didn't happen with patent, and certainly creativity in engineering and science has not been stalled.

Mistwell

I think copyright was working fine, up until the extent began getting pushed out. I find it interesting that the same didn't happen with patent, and certainly creativity in engineering and science has not been stalled.

The problem with copyright comes from the Berne Convention, and competition between member nations to beat each other as a place to attract creators. So Berne set the copyright date to Life of the Author Plus 50 Years, but allowed member nations to increase that time frame. The US increased it, then the EU increased more than the US, and so on, until the EU went to 70 years and the US matched them at 70 years in response.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The problem with copyright comes from the Berne Convention, and competition between member nations to beat each other as a place to attract creators. So Berne set the copyright date to Life of the Author Plus 50 Years, but allowed member nations to increase that time frame. The US increased it, then the EU increased more than the US, and so on, until the EU went to 70 years and the US matched them at 70 years in response.

Nothing good ever came from Berne...

Remove ads