Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana Mass Combat

http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/2017_UAMassCombat_MCUA_v1.pdf I wasn't expecting an article today...looks like a rehash of the old Mass Combat rules. I was really hoping for the Mystic.... Pretty radically different from the previous attempt, much more abstract and fast paced; which is good, because it has been gestating for two years! mearls has been talking up various DM...

http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/2017_UAMassCombat_MCUA_v1.pdf

I wasn't expecting an article today...looks like a rehash of the old Mass Combat rules.

I was really hoping for the Mystic....
Pretty radically different from the previous attempt, much more abstract and fast paced; which is good, because it has been gestating for two years!
[MENTION=697]mearls[/MENTION] has been talking up various DM options in the works; looks like those will get the exposure for a little bit, now.

Sent from my BLU LIFE XL using EN World mobile app

Quickleaf

Legend
400+ modifiers are indeed silly. Here's my attempt at revising the rules from http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/2017_UAMassCombat_MCUA_v1.pdf:

(1) Every mass combat turn takes 10 minutes, not 1 minute. (This is an aesthetic choice to make battles feel right; choose a different timeframe if you prefer.)

(2) Use everybody declares/everybody acts resolution, like BattleTech or AD&D, instead of turn-by-turn resolution. This is important for resolving battles.

(3) There is no Attack only, only a Fight action. When a unit Fights another unit, both of them are fighting and either one can take damage. See below.

(4) Resolve movement before resolving Fights. You don't need to Disengage unless you were already adjacent to the enemy at the beginning of your turn (during action declaration).

(5) When a fight occurs, you total up the BR of all allies involved in the Fight on each side, and roll 3d6 * (BR/100, not rounded). The enemy units in the fight must lose that many BR--the enemy commander(s)/players can allocate the losses wherever they chose. Whoever loses the most BR is the loser and must make a morale check or disband and be destroyed. There is a cumulative -1 penalty to the morale check for every 5% casualties the unit has taken.

Example: If 200 BR of dwarves are Fighting 300 BR of Yetis while 150 BR of elven archers fires arrows at the Yetis, the dwarves and the elves roll 3d6 * 350 and the Yetis roll 3d6 * 300. If the elves and dwarves roll 11 and the Yetis roll a 12, then Yetis lose (11 * 3.5) = 38.5 BR, rounded down per usual 5E rules to 38. The elves and the dwarves lose 12 * 3 = 36 BR, which the dwarven commander allocates to the dwarves (because that makes sense, since the elves aren't in the melee and Yetis don't have spears). The DM is playing the Yeti commander and allocates all 38 BR to the Yetis. Since the Yetis took more BR damage, the elves and the dwarves win the field, and the Yetis must make a DC 10 morale check at -2 (they've taken 12% casualties) or be disbanded. The DM rules that the Yetis are normally Stalwart (+4), so the Yetis roll at +2 total. They roll a natural 14, for a total of 16, and remain intact. The Yetis and the dwarves will continue to fight next turn.

Nice! That looks like a nice start to me.

The next question I'd have is: what's the advantage of cavalry in mass combat?

In this system, if we have a unit of 400 Thugs (CR 1/2, +1 BR per 5 creatures, total BR 80) versus a unit of 100 Thugs mounted on Riding Horses (total BR 40), there appears to be no advantage to a lord putting his thugs on horseback.

I'm no military historian, but I always thought cavalry would be more potent? Like, in the mass combat rules, maybe cavalry (and archers?) get to deal their damage first or something?

designbot

Explorer
Imagine that unit of 399 Veterans and CR 12 Commander (total BR 816). These rules are telling me that if my unit of Death Knights were to win an attack by 10 or more against these Veterans, that I would inflict -5 BR worth of damage. What?!? So they're down to BR 811 now? My goodness, how long are these mass combats supposed to take?

If I understand correctly, BR is not like HP. The goal is not kill all the enemies by wearing units down to zero. In fact, "a unit’s BR can be reduced by being attacked, going as low as 0 or a negative number."

The purpose of the combat is entirely to reduce morale and then force morale checks to get units to flee. This was not obvious to me at first.

I guess this is where chance comes in, though it will still only be one side making morale checks if the BR of the units is more than 20 apart.

S

Sunseeker

I dunno, it's interesting and all but mass combat to me still feels like something cinematic within the game. Mathing it out just produces weird results as mentioned already, no weirder than what's already written though. Getting players involved is sort of like the Aragon, Gimli and Legolas fighting off 10000 Uruk. They're awesome and have absurd kill-counts and do absolutely doofy things in combat but they're still just outnumbered. It always seemed to me that the battle itself was more of a foretold outcome, based on the player's ability to build an offensive or defensive military force, recruit allies to the cause, undermine the plans of the enemy, and so forth. Leave a battle up to the dice rolls seems...silly.

I get that some people don't want D&D to be Tactics and Triremes, but that's what warfare is. For all the ridiculous thoughts of "no plan survives the enemy" the real world says otherwise: better tactics and better forces lead to victory, not random chaos.

Chaosmancer

Legend
The PCs can still interact, as generals, with the mass combat rules. I still haven't read these particular rules thoroughly, but in general the point of mass combat rules is to provide a higher level of abstraction for times when details don't matter as much--then you zoom in whenever details matter.

That's when you want mass combat rules, when the PCs are not onscreen. If they are onscreen that's just regular combat against a large number of foes, perhaps using the horde rules.

It's about reducing the number of dice that are involved, and providing enough rules support that the DM can let the players give orders to/roll the dice for "their side." Without mass combat rules, all you've got is DM fiat, which leaves no way for players to be involved at all.

The bolded part explains why it seems we are in disagreement then. The math of these rules is so insanely out of balance with what you would expect to happen or matter, that it makes your proposed scenario not work.

A minor difference (20 BR) is all it takes to assure victory. So I’m thinking to myself, perhaps I’m being harsh, and this is only meant to be used when units are relatively close in power.

Let’s take a horde of orcs, led on a holy war by their warchief, against… well guards don’t work because @ CR 1/8 they’ll be destroyed by the superior orcs, so let’s go with Thugs or Scouts, your choice, led by a Veteran.

399 orcs, 1 BR per 5, so 1/5 BR is 80, plus the CR 4 Warchief brings us to 83.
399 defenders, 1/5 BR, 80 plus the CR 3 Veteran gives us 82

These guys are neck and neck, and we’ll assume equal moral and no walls or other structures to give one side advantage.

They both roll. One of two things is about to happen, either one will roll 10 or more than the other, deal 5 damage to that 80 plus hp, and then that defender fails a DC 10 morale roll and immediately dies or the confrontation will end with only 2 or 5 damage done.

How long do you think it will take to work out this combat? If we assume DC 10 moral checks are automatically made (not difficult with a few modifiers like “the battle is important” and “I’m well equipped” along with a +3 charisma on our leader figure) then if they deal max damage every round to get to the 40 damage they will need to get the DC 15 morale check will take 8 rounds of combat.

If they only deal damage 2 at a time, that becomes 20 rounds of combat.

And, that Veteran army we keep throwing around has a BR over 800, meaning you need to do 400 damage to them to break them. That is 80 to 200 rounds of combat.
The PCs can only be in one place at a time, and nobody wants to sit around doing nothing while the DM rolls five thousand attacks that don't involve the PCs.

I couldn’t agree with this more. And at it’s most intense, where the die rolls actually matter instead of just being a formality, that is exactly what this system seems to be.
400+ modifiers are indeed silly. Here's my attempt at revising the rules from http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/2017_UAMassCombat_MCUA_v1.pdf:

(1) Every mass combat turn takes 10 minutes, not 1 minute. (This is an aesthetic choice to make battles feel right; choose a different timeframe if you prefer.)

(2) Use everybody declares/everybody acts resolution, like BattleTech or AD&D, instead of turn-by-turn resolution. This is important for resolving battles.

(3) There is no Attack only, only a Fight action. When a unit Fights another unit, both of them are fighting and either one can take damage. See below.

(4) Resolve movement before resolving Fights. You don't need to Disengage unless you were already adjacent to the enemy at the beginning of your turn (during action declaration).

(5) When a fight occurs, you total up the BR of all allies involved in the Fight on each side, and roll 3d6 * (BR/100, not rounded). The enemy units in the fight must lose that many BR--the enemy commander(s)/players can allocate the losses wherever they chose. Whoever loses the most BR is the loser and must make a morale check or disband and be destroyed. There is a cumulative -1 penalty to the morale check for every 5% casualties the unit has taken.

Example: If 200 BR of dwarves are Fighting 300 BR of Yetis while 150 BR of elven archers fires arrows at the Yetis, the dwarves and the elves roll 3d6 * 350 and the Yetis roll 3d6 * 300. If the elves and dwarves roll 11 and the Yetis roll a 12, then Yetis lose (11 * 3.5) = 38.5 BR, rounded down per usual 5E rules to 38. The elves and the dwarves lose 12 * 3 = 36 BR, which the dwarven commander allocates to the dwarves (because that makes sense, since the elves aren't in the melee and Yetis don't have spears). The DM is playing the Yeti commander and allocates all 38 BR to the Yetis. Since the Yetis took more BR damage, the elves and the dwarves win the field, and the Yetis must make a DC 10 morale check at -2 (they've taken 12% casualties) or be disbanded. The DM rules that the Yetis are normally Stalwart (+4), so the Yetis roll at +2 total. They roll a natural 14, for a total of 16, and remain intact. The Yetis and the dwarves will continue to fight next turn.

This works significantly better. I may just steal this for my own use.

If I understand correctly, BR is not like HP. The goal is not kill all the enemies by wearing units down to zero. In fact, "a unit’s BR can be reduced by being attacked, going as low as 0 or a negative number."

The purpose of the combat is entirely to reduce morale and then force morale checks to get units to flee. This was not obvious to me at first.

I guess this is where chance comes in, though it will still only be one side making morale checks if the BR of the units is more than 20 apart.

Problem is though, any well maintained army is going to have at a minimum a +6 mod on a DC 10 check.
Or, we give them a +0 and any unit disbands, flees and dies with first contact with the enemy

Either Morale removes the need for the combat, or the combat will drag on longer than any other fight in 5e, with less interesting choices for the players to make at any point

The rules don't work for hundreds of elite creatures. Only units of 1 or less in masses make sense.
I think groups of 400 creatures may be too much. Everything is too crowded. Maybe archers make sense in those formations...
So the rules need to have some more limitations that limit BR to numbers that allow a d20 to have an impact.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
It does seem the current math is somewhat funny...but that's not too surprising: this UA is probably about gauging if this structure works for folks, not the specific math formulae: they want to know how people want to mass combat before they commit to smoothing out the numbers.

From what I hear, they could just update the BECMI mass combat War Machine, and it would work fine...

Sent from my BLU LIFE XL using EN World mobile app

pming

Legend
Hiya!

First...YAY! Some DM stuff! :)

Second and the rest...

I see where they are going with this, but I don't think it's there yet. To me it looks like they are trying to do what BECMI has with it's "War Machine" rules (which, IMNSHO, are the best mass combat rules for any version of D&D). With those, each 'unit' and each 'physical set-piece' (siege machine, defense structure, etc) is given a rating. Those are totaled up. Both sides roll and add their BFR, lower total subtracted from higher, a chart is consulted, and the results of that indicate how many of each force is lost. Rinse, repeat. (that's a very basic run down of how it works).

Personally I'll probably just keep using the BECMI rules and converting as needed.

Oh, one last note; someone mentioned Aragorn and company fighting off 10000 urak'hai. I think this is misleading...they never fight that many. They are only, individually, taking on a handful at a time...but the bad guys just keep on coming. So it's not 1-to-10000, or even 1-to-100...closer, at most, to 1-to-10. This is what the PC's end up doing in a mass battle; facing off against a dozen of these, a trio of those, or a super-huge war-oliphant, for example. The "Battle Force" shouldn't try and incorporate PC's as BR...it should try and incorporate PC "tactical successes/failures" in stead. A list of PC-tasks with risk/reward adjustments to the BR. For example, if the PC's choose "Engage Unit Leaders", the DM runs the PC's part in the battle as 'normal combat rules'. Depending on how that goes, the PC's side gets a bonus or penalty that 'round'. So if/when the PC's take out a war-oliphant, a siege-engine commander, and a wyvern rider, that translates into some big bonuses. If they fail in these, then it translates into some big penalties.

^_^

Paul L. Ming

seebs

Adventurer
There's definitely problems with the thing where you simply can't overcome significant gaps in BR, ever.

Say you have 20,000 CR 1/2 creatures. They can make 400-creature units, which are BR 80.

Now say you have 120 CR 1 creatures. They are a single unit, which is BR 120.

The 120 CR 1 creatures can kill all 20,000 CR 1/2 creatures. They could also kill 200,000 CR 1/2 creatures. Doesn't matter what dice roll; nothing the low-CR creatures do can ever affect them.

That seems like a flaw.

Nice! That looks like a nice start to me.

The next question I'd have is: what's the advantage of cavalry in mass combat?

In this system, if we have a unit of 400 Thugs (CR 1/2, +1 BR per 5 creatures, total BR 80) versus a unit of 100 Thugs mounted on Riding Horses (total BR 40), there appears to be no advantage to a lord putting his thugs on horseback.

I'm no military historian, but I always thought cavalry would be more potent? Like, in the mass combat rules, maybe cavalry (and archers?) get to deal their damage first or something?

The actual military advantage of cavalry is getting there "firstest with the mostest".

BTW, anyone who is interested in intricate mass combat rules should also check out the Immortals Companion for 5E: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/194619/Immortals-Companion. My softcover copy just arrived in the mail today, but there's also a pay-what-you-can online option if you just want to check out the rules immediately. They are considerably more intricate/wargamey than the UA rules we're discussing in this thread.

Interesting, but I suggest the monster subtype "squad" for units, something like "swarn" monster subtype.

Other matter, if, for example, Mulan causes an avanlanche againts againts Shan Yu's Hun army, how many XPs would be?

* Will we see the warlord/marshall class for mass battles? It could be a "variant class", a pack of optional class features but showed like a class.

* I guess WotC wish to create the ultimate D&D RTS, something like Warhammer or Warcraft.

Remove ads

Remove ads