Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana Revisits Psionics

The latest Unearthed Arcana from WotC revisits some psionic rules! “Shine with the power of the mind in this installment of Unearthed Arcana! Today we revisit several psi-themed options that we released in the past few months. Studying your feedback on those options, we’ve crafted this new collection of subclasses, spells, and feats, found in the PDF below.“...

The latest Unearthed Arcana from WotC revisits some psionic rules! “Shine with the power of the mind in this installment of Unearthed Arcana! Today we revisit several psi-themed options that we released in the past few months. Studying your feedback on those options, we’ve crafted this new collection of subclasses, spells, and feats, found in the PDF below.“

F07971E8-C0BB-4025-A151-D48852409FCA.jpeg

Kurotowa

Legend
Is it possible to replenish the Psionic Talent die if it is depleted (i.e. it was a d4 and you rolled a 4)?

The wording is unclear. And it's a huge difference, between having to use Replenishment if your die drops to a d4 and only having to use it if it becomes completely depleted.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yes, on first reading it looks a nice mechanic.

What's the typical turnaround time at WotC? Could this appear in a Fall/Winter book?

About 2 fiscal Quarters, for UA to final book form. This is about when they tested the final Class stuff for Ravnica and Xanathars Guide in the past. And this looks just about ready for primetime.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Is it possible to replenish the Psionic Talent die if it is depleted (i.e. it was a d4 and you rolled a 4)?

Based on the text, on a long rest for the Fighter and Sorcerer, with a once a day bonus round for the Rogue and the Wild Talent Feat (so the Feat would be good for the Psi Knight still...)

Parmandur

Book-Friend
What? Every subclass gets Psi Replenishment, not just the Rogue.

So it does! Missed that in skimming, oops!

So, worst case scenario, each Psionic character would have at least four uses per day at low levels. Wonder what the statistical spread for that is in a full adventuring day.

zedturtle

Jacob Rodgers

Nope. You lose it until you take a long rest. Which means when to use that bonus action to restore the d4 back to its starting size is a gamble, which is nice.

Pretty much the same for me. I think they've finally managed to walk the line of psionics feeling unique and interesting without needing its own system and/or being incredibly broken.

... That's the happiest I've been reading a psionics ruleset in a long, long time. I've not looked at the balance much yet, but it on first glance it looks okay. What's more, I can see character concepts I want to try out with pretty much everything there.

I look forward to finding out how people are going to hate it :-D

Remove ads

Remove ads