Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana: Sidekicks

New playtest material fro WoTC. https://media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/UA_Sidekicks.pdf I think this would be my DM's nightmare if implemented.

Chaosmancer

Legend
I thought the sidekick class replaces the monster's normal hit dice, saves and skills? I think I'd only leave racial features intact.

It doesn't say that anywhere, and they utilize the HD of the statblock, along with their attacks, ability scores ect. So, I would assume you are just adding to the statblock all of the abilities of the class.

JPL

Adventurer
Let's be honest: the only reason for these rules to exist is so that every party can include an awakened giant goat. That's roleplaying magic, right there. Try it.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
IMO, this is fun, but all sidekicks need is to have the same prof bonus, and number of HD, as the PCs. And basic numerical scaling of damage. So, if they have less than two attacks, and the team hits 5, give them either another attack or an extra die.

Honestly, I think the revised ranger beast is set up quite well for this.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Let's be honest: the only reason for these rules to exist is so that every party can include an awakened giant goat. That's roleplaying magic, right there. Try it.
Sounds awesome...I've been wanting to play a goat PC since I was a kid.

Dausuul

Legend
I like it. Good way to fill out missing roles in a party, with an easy-to-run NPC that you can hand off to one of the more experienced players. Also useful when the party inevitably wants to "adopt" some NPC but you don't want to be hassled with a full-fledged character to run.

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
I like the rules, but I would add one change: competence levels.

A sidekick has a competence level that rangers from 1/8 to full. I gains levels at a rate equal to its competence level.

Therefore, A 1/8 competence soldier would need to follow a player around for 8 levels before it gained a level, while a full competence sidekick would gain a level every time the player they are following did.

Pauln6

Hero
It doesn't say that anywhere, and they utilize the HD of the statblock, along with their attacks, ability scores ect. So, I would assume you are just adding to the statblock all of the abilities of the class.
Admittedly they are only CR1 and below but I would not be keen to slobber racial hit dice on top personally or people might start coming up with nutty combinations like humanoid variations. That said, if AC is pretty static, maybe they do need the extra hit dice and fewer ASI and class features. Similarly, I would not allow animals to move their intelligence more than one rank higher than baseline without some McGuffin since 1e intelligence rankings are too ingrained in me.

Dausuul

Legend
I like the rules, but I would add one change: competence levels.

A sidekick has a competence level that rangers from 1/8 to full. I gains levels at a rate equal to its competence level.

Therefore, A 1/8 competence soldier would need to follow a player around for 8 levels before it gained a level, while a full competence sidekick would gain a level every time the player they are following did.
Seems overly fiddly to me. If you want a sidekick who doesn't keep pace with the party, just use a statblock out of the Monster Manual. A level or two of sidekick adds a bunch of rules overhead without changing anything significant: They're still just a warm body who tags after the PCs and will eventually die to a stray AoE blast.

Remove ads

Remove ads