Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana: Sorcerer and Warlock

There's a new Unearthed Arcana from WotC today, hot on the heels of the recent one for barbarian and monk. "Two classes, the sorcerer and the warlock, discover new playtest possibilities this week. The sorcerer receives a new Sorcerous Origin feature: the Aberrant Mind. Meanwhile, the warlock gains a new Otherworldly Patron feature: the Lurker in the Deep. We’ve also included a new cantrip...

There's a new Unearthed Arcana from WotC today, hot on the heels of the recent one for barbarian and monk. "Two classes, the sorcerer and the warlock, discover new playtest possibilities this week. The sorcerer receives a new Sorcerous Origin feature: the Aberrant Mind. Meanwhile, the warlock gains a new Otherworldly Patron feature: the Lurker in the Deep. We’ve also included a new cantrip: mind sliver."

Screenshot 2019-09-05 at 23.57.22.png

Parmandur

Book-Friend
They fit FR well enough, the Wild Soul Barbarians make sense in Feywild touched Rasheman and Yuirwood and even parts of Shou Lung.

FR has no shortage of Aberrants and even has a version of the Living Gate, a portal to the Far Realms in it, as well as other far realms/abberant stuff in it.

The Deep Lurker really super fits FR, the Kraken Society, Purple Rock, plenty of water Gods, Marid Princes, Elemental Lords, Primordials, Batrachi, Cults of Dagon and Demigorgan, Levithan, weirder stuff, Dragon Turtles, ect...

The Monk makes sense in places were the Githyanki raise their young and in Kara Tur.

Nentir Vale also fits it well, but Nentir Vale was kind of born of idea for FR that was spun out to be it's own points of light setting, so that is not surprising.

Yeah, but these probably aren't for a FR product, unless we get XGtE2. In contrast, see this trailer for the last Zendikar set, and note that the new set that will be released around the same time as any Q3 D&D hardcover is about moving more towards classic swashbuckling adventure (i.e., D&D material, the original Zendikar card set even had cards noted as "Cleric," "Rogue," "Fighter" and so on in internal playtests):

gyor

Legend
Yeah, but these probably aren't for a FR product, unless we get XGtE2. In contrast, see this trailer for the last Zendikar set, and note that the new set that will be released around the same time as any Q3 D&D hardcover is about moving more towards classic swashbuckling adventure (i.e., D&D material, the original Zendikar card set even had cards noted as "Cleric," "Rogue," "Fighter" and so on in internal playtests):

Cool video, but I think that if they do another MtG to D&D setting before getting more of the traditional D&D settings again, the Nerd rage will be epic. Plus they still don't seem to know how these setting fit within the greater D&D cosmology, I mean even Eberron now fits, while keeping it's uniqueness.

Plus Zendakar doesn't scream psionics to me.

I'm not saying it's impossible, just that I am skeptical.

I think this stuff is for a mostly setting neutral splat book, a PHB2, but it won't be called that, with maybe the Artificer, Psionics (both class and subclasses), and some other weird stuff. Maybe mass combat rules.

BacchusNL

Explorer
I'm pretty sure this is playtest material for a new player-focussed book like Xanathar's, not a campaign setting or so. Between this and the Barb/ Monk we got last time it seems to me they want to take that book into a more "weird" direction, isntead of the classical fantasy, which would be pretty cool imo. I'm wondering if we will see an actual Psionic class in there aswell, with subclasses like this that lean in on the mechanics, or wether they will backpedal and use this as a stand-in.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Cool video, but I think that if they do another MtG to D&D setting before getting more of the traditional D&D settings again, the Nerd rage will be epic. Plus they still don't seem to know how these setting fit within the greater D&D cosmology, I mean even Eberron now fits, while keeping it's uniqueness.

Plus Zendakar doesn't scream psionics to me.

I'm not saying it's impossible, just that I am skeptical.

I think this stuff is for a mostly setting neutral splat book, a PHB2, but it won't be called that, with maybe the Artificer, Psionics (both class and subclasses), and some other weird stuff. Maybe mass combat rules.

It would be a crpto PHB3/DMG3 since we already got the PHB2/DMG2.

Ravnica has been massively successful, and Stewart said there would be more inter-brand cooperation in the future. I wasn't actually suspecting this a week ago, but these weird high magic and Eldritch horror options, and the Zendikar announcement, make me think that's why they haven't put out something like the Wayfinders Guide.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I'm pretty sure this is playtest material for a new player-focussed book like Xanathar's, not a campaign setting or so. Between this and the Barb/ Monk we got last time it seems to me they want to take that book into a more "weird" direction, isntead of the classical fantasy, which would be pretty cool imo. I'm wondering if we will see an actual Psionic class in there aswell, with subclasses like this that lean in on the mechanics, or wether they will backpedal and use this as a stand-in.

Well, look at Zendikar: pretty weird gonzo fantasy, and fitting for a setting.

BacchusNL

Explorer
Well, look at Zendikar: pretty weird gonzo fantasy, and fitting for a setting.

Of all places...Zendikar? Really? It's Psionics, a Barb where the text refers to the Feywild, and a monk that has mastered the Astral Plane. How does that say imply "Zendikar" to you?

But baseless speculation aside, there is also the simple fact that according to WotC's own schedule we are due for a player-book again soon, cuz those pop 1x year. We also know the next FR campaign book will be Avernus and the next setting book Eberon.

Xanathar's has also been WotC's most well-recieved book in 5e so far, so it's a pretty logical assumption that they will do something along the same lines for the next one. And with the more niche, but still classic fantasy (like the cavalier, drunken master, warmage, god-sorc, scout ect) subclasses tackled i can see them going for a bit more fantastical ideas that tie into established lore (like aboleths, astral plane, feywild ect)

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Of all places...Zendikar? Really? It's Psionics, a Barb where the text refers to the Feywild, and a monk that has mastered the Astral Plane. How does that say imply "Zendikar" to you?

But baseless speculation aside, there is also the simple fact that according to WotC's own schedule we are due for a player-book again soon, cuz those pop 1x year. We also know the next FR campaign book will be Avernus and the next setting book Eberon.

Xanathar's has also been WotC's most well-recieved book in 5e so far, so it's a pretty logical assumption that they will do something along the same lines for the next one. And with the more niche, but still classic fantasy (like the cavalier, drunken master, warmage, god-sorc, scout ect) subclasses tackled i can see them going for a bit more fantastical ideas that tie into established lore (like aboleths, astral plane, feywild ect)

They've started a Xanathar's style book will come eventually, in 2-3 years from 2019 (though I admit, this could be misdirection, too). Don't think about the flavor text in thebUS, that's a distraction (they do that with UA since Crawford took the reins, see the "Greek Myth" tests for Ravnica). Think about how the characters describe would look illustrated: like Magic cards.

I have no idea what they are doing: but the stars are aligning for the possibility this is Zendikar related, given the timing of their recent product announcements on the Magic side.

Really, again, the only reasonable prediction right now is that WotC will have some surprises in store.

Last edited:

BacchusNL

Explorer
They've started a Xanathar's style book will come eventually, in 2-3 years from 2019. Don't think about the flavor text in thebUS, that's a distraction (they do that with UA since Crawford took the reins, see the "Greek Myth" tests for Ravnica). Think about how the characters describe would look illustrated: like Magic cards.

I have no idea what they are doing: but the stars are aligning for the possibility this is Zendikar related.

Ok. I prefer facts over stargazing though.

I also think that any smart company would support a big game release like Baldur's Gate 3 and Decend into Avernus with supplemental content for those projects. Not to try to push a setting where the first book (Ravnica) already had lower then avarage sales, and with many others like Dark Sun and Spelljammer still waiting in the wings.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Ok. I prefer facts over stargazing though.

I also think that any smart company would support a big game release like Baldur's Gate 3 and Decend into Avernus with supplemental content for those projects. Not to try to push a setting where the first book (Ravnica) already had lower then avarage sales, and with many others like Dark Sun and Spelljammer still waiting in the wings.

Ravnica has sold quite well, from what I've seen, and been quite well received. It's currently selling better on Amazon that the PF2 Bestiary, which is apparently selling very well on Amazon according to Paizo. Which means a lot of people are planning a possible game in Ravnica still at this time.

A tie in to Baldur's Gate may be a possibility, but just as equally continuing to work Magic and D&D together seems plausible. The big alarm bells that gives me this gut feeling is the timing of the Zendikar set at the same time as the big Q4 hardcover slot, along with these weird fantasy archetypes.

Remove ads

Remove ads