Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana: Sorcerer and Warlock

There's a new Unearthed Arcana from WotC today, hot on the heels of the recent one for barbarian and monk. "Two classes, the sorcerer and the warlock, discover new playtest possibilities this week. The sorcerer receives a new Sorcerous Origin feature: the Aberrant Mind. Meanwhile, the warlock gains a new Otherworldly Patron feature: the Lurker in the Deep. We’ve also included a new cantrip: mind sliver."

Screenshot 2019-09-05 at 23.57.22.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Honestly I don't see this coming in either a starter set or AP. Even a Setting is unlikely as it's not Darksun enough. I think it's going to be in a Psionics book of it's own.

I think there will be a publication similar to Xanathar's Guide, but with a linking theme, rather than a full-on psionics book. Something like "Murray the Mind Flayer's Guide to the Uncanny".

I think WotC may have decided to take psionics in a similar direction to Pathfinder did with it's "psychic" classes. It's weird alien magic, not something lifted from science fiction.

Another point: a while back we had a UA for Giant Soul sorcerer. Now it may be that it wasn't well received, but so far as I can see there hasn't been anything published that it could have gone in. It's not in the slightest Ravnica or Eberron-ish. So it might be sitting on the shelf waiting for a suitable splat book.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I think there will be a publication similar to Xanathar's Guide, but with a linking theme, rather than a full-on psionics book. Something like "Murray the Mind Flayer's Guide to the Uncanny".

I think WotC may have decided to take psionics in a similar direction to Pathfinder did with it's "psychic" classes. It's weird alien magic, not something lifted from science fiction.

Another point: a while back we had a UA for Giant Soul sorcerer. Now it may be that it wasn't well received, but so far as I can see there hasn't been anything published that it could have gone in. It's not in the slightest Ravnica or Ederron-ish. So it might be sitting on the shelf waiting for a suitable splat book.

Could be a generic supplement, though those have not been overly targeted: if it is a XGtE, I'd expect to see way more.

I think they were thinking about Eberron for the Giant Soul: Giants in Xen'drik have a long and strange history with the smaller races. The rule of thumb Crawford has given in the past is that if am option isn't in a book within 12 months, or retooled for another UA, it's DOA. So, pretty sure we will never see the Giant Soul in anything.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
The rule of thumb Crawford has given in the past is that if am option isn't in a book within 12 months, or retooled for another UA, it's DOA. So, pretty sure we will never see the Giant Soul in anything.

Was the giant soul ever in a UA? It was just something Mearls tinkered around with in the happy fun hour. We are just now seeing the fruits of the Kraken patron he tinkered with.

Further, a rule of thumb is inherently not definitive. Being pretty sure about something extrapolated from a rule of thumb is pretty shaky ground.

Ash Mantle

Adventurer
With these recent UAs, and especially with the path of wild soul barbarian and the way of the astral self monk, Wizards seem to be subtly integrating increasingly complex mechanics into their subclasses. This is really a good thing. It implies that Wizards acknowledges that 5e is at the point in its lifespan where more complex mechanics can become the norm. I'm eagerly awaiting the next classes to be given the UA treatment, and here's really hoping we're getting another Xanathar's/PHB soon.

gyor

Legend
They've said there won't be another XGTE style book for awhile, but that doesn't mean they can't have a different style of book with Player options, I mean VGTM and MTOFs and the Setting books had Player options.

I think this will a book more focused on classes the just subclasses, like alternate class features, and new classes, maybe republished the Artificer in a more setting neutral way.

Also I just don't seem them publishing the Psions class and subclasses in a Zendakar book, even if they do a Zendikar book.

Was the giant soul ever in a UA? It was just something Mearls tinkered around with in the happy fun hour. We are just now seeing the fruits of the Kraken patron he tinkered with.

Further, a rule of thumb is inherently not definitive. Being pretty sure about something extrapolated from a rule of thumb is pretty shaky ground.
Yes, 18/06/2018, so it was just over a year ago: Giant Soul.

It's closely tied to the ordning, which I'm not sure was ever a thing in Eberron lore. And I don't think any of the Eberron books is planned to include Xen'Drik at this time, so I'm sceptical that it was ever pencilled in for an Eberron book.

I quite liked it - not as much as the Aberrant Mind, but more than the Kraken warlock with his pet tentacle, or the fatabulous expoding barbarian.

Parmandur

Book-Friend

UA is for testing material for books in the next year, full stop: Crawford has made that clear in his inimitable style. Giant Soul Sorcerer was in UA a full year ago. Ergo, it was something that they were considering for a 2019 book. So, either Ghosts of Saltmarsh, Acquisitions Incorporated, Descent into Avernus, or Rising from the Last War. The latter is the only one that would seem to fit at all.

At any rate, it won't be published at this point.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases