Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana: Sorcerer and Warlock

There's a new Unearthed Arcana from WotC today, hot on the heels of the recent one for barbarian and monk. "Two classes, the sorcerer and the warlock, discover new playtest possibilities this week. The sorcerer receives a new Sorcerous Origin feature: the Aberrant Mind. Meanwhile, the warlock gains a new Otherworldly Patron feature: the Lurker in the Deep. We’ve also included a new cantrip...

There's a new Unearthed Arcana from WotC today, hot on the heels of the recent one for barbarian and monk. "Two classes, the sorcerer and the warlock, discover new playtest possibilities this week. The sorcerer receives a new Sorcerous Origin feature: the Aberrant Mind. Meanwhile, the warlock gains a new Otherworldly Patron feature: the Lurker in the Deep. We’ve also included a new cantrip: mind sliver."

Screenshot 2019-09-05 at 23.57.22.png

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Zendikar's niche could be exploration
  • 3D battles/challenges
  • Improved rules for navigating this changing world
  • New environmental effects stated as creatures or complex traps, like 4e did

Whether they do it next year, or in 2036, I'd like to see them do a proper Zendikar D&D book eventually. The setting is perfect for D&D, and lots of room for development.

I'm all down for any Magic crossover, D&D revival, or new setting, honestly.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I really want to see a world of archipelagoes instead of continents, with no single landmass larger than real world Australia or maybe even no bigger than Indonesia.

With core cultures in the focused-upon area representing Oceanic/Pacific Islander cultures and mythology, and delving into other less well explored areas of inspiration as well, it would pack a lot of new ideas into a fantasy world, and present a very different type of world with different assumptions and challenges.

Yeah, it was up just over a year ago. Best case scenario, it's back on the drawing board. Doubt it will come down again anytime soon.
My suspicion: it's not just the subclass that was shelved, it was the whole book. If you remember, round about that time the Wayfinder's Guide was released with the rider "if it sells well we will release a print book". Which means they must have had a Plan B for if it didn't sell well. The Giant Soul would have featured in Plan B.

I really want to see a world of archipelagos instead of continents, with no single landmass larger than real world Australia or maybe even no bigger than Indonesia.

With core cultures in the focused-upon area representing Oceanic/Pacific Islander cultures and mythology, and delving into other less well explored areas of inspiration as well, it would pack a lot of new ideas into a fantasy world, and present a very different type of world with different assumptions and challenges.

I seem to recal discussion of adapting Earthsea to D&D, possibly in 1980s White Dwarf.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
My suspicion: it's not just the subclass that was shelved, it was the whole book. If you remember, round about that time the Wayfinder's Guide was released with the rider "if it sells well we will release a print book". Which means they must have had a Plan B for if it didn't sell well. The Giant Soul would have featured in Plan B.

Reasonable speculation: at least half the reason they don't tell us about their books until a few months beforehand is so they can rearrange things without causing a ruckus. But if that is the case, maybe there is still hope for the Giant Soul...

Undrave

Legend
As was mentioned I hope we see a Paladin and Druid build that specializes in fighting planar incursion.

Another idea for a new Druid subclass would be a new one that uses Wildshape in combat, but in a different way to the Moon Druid.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
In a book that features Psionics, I suspect there's probably going to be cantrips that do even more damage than 1d6 and require an intelligence save. They probably won't have rider effects though.

Intelligence looks to be the go to saving throw for many attacks that do psychic damage.

Judging by this interview, it doesn't seem like they are considering that.

And even if they were, that 1d4 accuracy boost would blow them out of the water anway.

Remove ads

Remove ads