Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana: Sorcerer and Warlock

There's a new Unearthed Arcana from WotC today, hot on the heels of the recent one for barbarian and monk. "Two classes, the sorcerer and the warlock, discover new playtest possibilities this week. The sorcerer receives a new Sorcerous Origin feature: the Aberrant Mind. Meanwhile, the warlock gains a new Otherworldly Patron feature: the Lurker in the Deep. We’ve also included a new cantrip...

There's a new Unearthed Arcana from WotC today, hot on the heels of the recent one for barbarian and monk. "Two classes, the sorcerer and the warlock, discover new playtest possibilities this week. The sorcerer receives a new Sorcerous Origin feature: the Aberrant Mind. Meanwhile, the warlock gains a new Otherworldly Patron feature: the Lurker in the Deep. We’ve also included a new cantrip: mind sliver."

Screenshot 2019-09-05 at 23.57.22.png

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Judging by this interview, it doesn't seem like they are considering that.

And even if they were, that 1d4 accuracy boost would blow them out of the water anway.

It's interesting that he brings up the Archivist in particular: I think they might have a plan for that Subclass next year.

And even if they were, that 1d4 accuracy boost would blow them out of the water anway.
There's nothing in that interview that denies there being other psionic cantrips considered that could do other values of damage or have other effects from Mind Silver.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Soooooo, I'm no big Magic: The Gathering expert, but some digging around shows that Psionic/Telepathic themed stuff in Magic is always Blue Mana related...related to the sea and spooky things in the depths...much like these two Subclasses.

Indeed, running out the "they are going to Zendikar in D&D next year" hypothesis, the Archivist might have been a stealth test for M:tG setting assumptions, and last months Subclasses might have been Color Wheel related (I'm thinking Green). Maybe next month we'll see some Black or White flavored Subclasses...

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
If you're thinking MtG for the last couple of UAs, then I'd say that the barbarian was a red subclass. It's the magic of chaos and that subclass seemed pretty chaotic with its surge abilities. The monk I'd see as either blue or white. Both of the sorcerer and warlock subclasses could be blue. I'd have to read the sorcerer subclass again, if related to madness then it might lean more to black which also has some mind magic style spells, normally debilitating style mind spells. So you might see spells like charm and dominate person in blue but spells like crown of madness and dissonant whispers might be black.

I think about this sort of stuff far too much...

Parmandur

Book-Friend
If you're thinking MtG for the last couple of UAs, then I'd say that the barbarian was a red subclass. It's the magic of chaos and that subclass seemed pretty chaotic with its surge abilities. The monk I'd see as either blue or white. Both of the sorcerer and warlock subclasses could be blue. I'd have to read the sorcerer subclass again, if related to madness then it might lean more to black which also has some mind magic style spells, normally debilitating style mind spells. So you might see spells like charm and dominate person in blue but spells like crown of madness and dissonant whispers might be black.

It is not morbidly themed so much as explicitly slimy monster themed...

Parmandur

Book-Friend

So, looking at last months UA more closely, I think you are right that if it were M:tG themed, Red would be appropriate: several Red Enchantments seem to fit in with the "Astral Self" Monk's abilities, such as the cards "Extra Arms" and "Imposing Visage."

We'll see if we get a Radiant Healer Wizard or Necromantic Ranger or whatnot in the future. .

The "error" n that video really needs to be how it works - only affects intelligence saves.

I also think I would remove it from the wizard spell list and make it sorcerer/warlock/archivist only.

Remove ads

Remove ads