Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana: Spirits Bard and Undeath Warlock

We have a new UA release with two subclasses. The College of Spirits Bard is a fortune teller or spirit medium type character with a big random effect table. Meanwhile the Undeath Pact Warlock is a a do-over of the Undying Pact Warlock.

We have a new UA release with two subclasses. The College of Spirits Bard is a fortune teller or spirit medium type character with a big random effect table. Meanwhile the Undeath Pact Warlock is a a do-over of the Undying Pact Warlock.

Screen Shot 2020-08-05 at 6.49.17 PM.png

Chaosmancer

Legend
I'm on the fence about a lot of these.

The bard is nice. Ranged Guidance is something fun for them to do, and getting a +1d6 to all damage and healing at level six is very very nice. The tales are odd for me though. Spend a die as a bonus action, roll, and hold that story until it is needed, then use your action later to cast it on someone within 30ft.

And most of them are great. Here, Barbarian, take a reaction 1d8 force damage on anyone that hits you. Hey guys, who wants 2d12+15 healing and no spell slot cost. Or, the ability to teleport yourself and four people 30 ft as a reaction?

But, I dislike random tables instinctively. I think since the cost is only a single bardic inspiration, it is fine, even if you never find a time to use it, you haven't wasted anything a short rest won't return. Honestly, it might even be a bit too powerful.

The Ceremony is nice. Had a friend immediately point out Bard's grabbing Revivify. I'm sure someone is going to compile a list of best spells for this. And it scales up to a free 7th level spell, so some nice stuff.... wait... okay good, simulacrum is illusion.

The Warlock, woof. I love it but that is some power.

At 6th level you can gain 1d10+6 temp hp, one of your attacks every round carry a rider for fear, and you can turn each bolt of Eldritch blast into 2d10 necrotic damage. That is a lot, even with a limited number per long rest (up to 6 times)

Mortal Husk is amazing, but I'd just make it 1 long rest, 1d4 is too long for a revival ability you won't be using that often anyways. And since it hits every creature and gives exhaustion it already has too many negatives on it. I mean, if you are dropping and you aren't a bladelock, you are likely to be in the back row with other squishies who can't take 2d10+10 damage.

Then a 1 per day ghost form that gives you resistance, etherealness, and if you transform, you get to recover HP from dealing that massive necrotic damage.

It is concentration, and you do have to leave your body behind, but since you can choose to teleport to your body, or teleport your body to you, that really limits the downsides.

Potentially, just a little too powerful, but I love it.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Quote from the UA:

This suggests that the book this will be published in is far off. An early playtest. That means more is coming.

Remember when WotC mentioned that they're going to put Vistani in 2 upcoming books. With the Spirits Bards, whatever book this goes in will definitely be one of the Vistani featuring books.

Maybe these UA will not make their way into Xanathar's 2.0? They could be playtests for a Ravenloft or Innistrad setting. It could explain why there are only 2 subclasses in this UA, as Setting books typically only have 2-3 subclasses in them. Both M:tG settings only had two subclasses. To me, this points to Innistrad.

Anyone else had similar thoughts?

The "early playtest" language is the same boilerplate as every other Subclass UA, so that doesn't really speak to when this might see the light of day, if at all, either way.

They said they were working with a Romani consultant, it could be the tropes they put here passed muster as cool rather than offensive...?

ZeshinX

Adventurer
The Warlock, woof. I love it but that is some power.

At 6th level you can gain 1d10+6 temp hp, one of your attacks every round carry a rider for fear, and you can turn each bolt of Eldritch blast into 2d10 necrotic damage. That is a lot, even with a limited number per long rest (up to 6 times)

Mortal Husk is amazing, but I'd just make it 1 long rest, 1d4 is too long for a revival ability you won't be using that often anyways. And since it hits every creature and gives exhaustion it already has too many negatives on it. I mean, if you are dropping and you aren't a bladelock, you are likely to be in the back row with other squishies who can't take 2d10+10 damage.

Then a 1 per day ghost form that gives you resistance, etherealness, and if you transform, you get to recover HP from dealing that massive necrotic damage.

It is concentration, and you do have to leave your body behind, but since you can choose to teleport to your body, or teleport your body to you, that really limits the downsides.

Potentially, just a little too powerful, but I love it.

That patron/subclass is screaming to have a vulnerability to radiant damage once it gains the Mortal Husk ability (saturated with necrotic energy and all that). I know D&D no longer favours actual disadvantages like that, but yeesh, does it scream for it, flavour-wise.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
The "early playtest" language is the same boilerplate as every other Subclass UA, so that doesn't really speak to when this might see the light of day, if at all, either way.
I just looked back through recent UA. It seems like the most recent UA they put the "early" marker on was the Subclasses Revisited UA.
They said they were working with a Romani consultant, it could be the tropes they put here passed muster as cool rather than offensive...?
IDK, I'm not Romani.

Remove ads

Remove ads