Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana: Spirits Bard and Undeath Warlock

We have a new UA release with two subclasses. The College of Spirits Bard is a fortune teller or spirit medium type character with a big random effect table. Meanwhile the Undeath Pact Warlock is a a do-over of the Undying Pact Warlock.

Screen Shot 2020-08-05 at 6.49.17 PM.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
I like the theme of the Spirits Bard a lot.

I would prefer the tales to be out of combat uses of inspiration. Let it be a 10 minute story resulting in a small party buff based on the roll.

The 6th level feature is very weak. Limit it to 3rd level spells or lower and let them cast it 1/day for free.
YES!

Bards are at their best when the mechanics point them toward the other two pillars of game. A Ouiji Board summoning does not take 2 minutes, let alone less than 6 seconds (also, bonus actions are bad and need to be avoided as much as possible). Let it be something this Bard does when they're singing their Song of Rest, between bouts of combat and exploration. We all know that getting around a board under blankets in our pyjamas and holding pillows is the only way to do these kinds of spooky summonings, anyway. Best for the short/long rests, rather than expiring at the next short/long rest!

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Anyone else feel the urge to multiclass Undead Warlock with Oathbreaker Paladin?

It has so much roleplay potential. Be a Dragonborn/Kobold Draconic Sorcerer, multiclass with the Undead Warlock. Boom! Now you're a dracolich character.

Be a Whispers Bard, multiclass into Undead Warlock with Pact of the Blade. Now, you're a shadow snatching, shapeshifting, psychic damaging, curse-binding, horrific nightmare character. This would make any race horrific. Tortle now becomes a Death Turtle. Gnomes are now sneaky mastermind assassins, occasionally murdering and replacing children of their targets. Imagine this character as a Shadar-Kai or Hollow One.

Yes, while in the Form of Dread. At 6th level that's 3 minutes per day.

IKf you think that's too strong, how about if the extra die was a flat bonus? like d6?

Turning all of your eldritch blasts into 2d10+Cha for a minimum of 3 combats a day is super strong, especially when you get into a higher level sorcerer combos. This should be one die per round, tops.

Undrave

Legend
Turning all of your eldritch blasts into 2d10+Cha for a minimum of 3 combats a day is super strong, especially when you get into a higher level sorcerer combos. This should be one die per round, tops.

I think it'd be more interesting if it was just a flat d6 instead, with a boost in die size at later level.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Undead warlock + blade pact + eldritch armor, thirsting blade, lifedrinker, sculptor of flesh = a superb a vampire-knight

Spells: Deathward, Misty step, spiderclimb, gaseous form, vampiric touch, spirit shroud (UA), Charm X also add to the theme.

The bard reminds me of the Chanter from PoE, if only bards had more summoning spells.

I'm guessing her name is also Rose? ;)

So part of the playtest is to see if this class archetype avoids ethnic race-bating?

The crystal ball and tarot cards might be a bit too on the nose for Romantic Era "gypsy" stereotypes.

Maybe expand the options of divination methods to include other cultures as well?

Otherwise it seems ethnically neutral. It could be a Twilight Zone episode from any ethnicity.

The fiction becomes real, or the story summons the spirit, or speaking the name, seem widespread (maybe universal?) tropes.

I like the fact that "spirit" includes any magical creature: fey, giants, dragons, angels, fiends, etcetera.

ZeshinX

Adventurer
So part of the playtest is to see if this class archetype avoids ethnic race-bating?

The crystal ball and tarot cards might be a bit too on the nose for Romantic Era "gypsy" stereotypes.

Otherwise it seems ethnically neutral. It could be a Twilight Zone episode from any ethnicity.

The fiction becomes real, or the story summons the spirit, or speaking the name, seem widespread (maybe universal?) tropes.

I like the fact that "spirit" includes any magical creature: fey, giants, dragons, angels, fiends, etcetera. Maybe include elementals too.

Maybe expand the options of divination methods to include other cultures as well?

I don't care if it's testing the water for sensitivity or not. It's an argument I find generally eye-rolling for a genre that explores imagination.

My comment was meant to suggest that while some/many view this as a medium/fortune teller, I see it as a shaman...which I find all just a rose by any other name. :)

Last edited:

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases