Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana: Spirits Bard and Undeath Warlock

We have a new UA release with two subclasses. The College of Spirits Bard is a fortune teller or spirit medium type character with a big random effect table. Meanwhile the Undeath Pact Warlock is a a do-over of the Undying Pact Warlock.

We have a new UA release with two subclasses. The College of Spirits Bard is a fortune teller or spirit medium type character with a big random effect table. Meanwhile the Undeath Pact Warlock is a a do-over of the Undying Pact Warlock.

Screen Shot 2020-08-05 at 6.49.17 PM.png

grimslade

Krampus ate my d20s
The Undead Warlock is... ok. I kind of like the transformation piece, but the effects are too scattershot for a caster. A rage for casters is fun, but it should be a bit more focused than it is right now.
The College of Spirits bard is flavorful but I agree with @doctorbadwolf The whole random story and effect is a big negative.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Honestly I like both of them. I think the Undying Patron gets crapped on more than it deserves, but this is more of a Death Knight or War Witch kind of necromancer, which I really like.

The Bard isn't a replacement for an actual Shaman, and it doesn't need to be. If there had been a Shaman in the PHB, I'd still be planning on giving high marks to this subclass.

Mike Myler

Have you been to LevelUp5E.com yet?
Form of Dread is level dip city. Kinda weird that they tied it to proficiency bonus.

|makes note to remember this patron for the next time he's playing a martial class|

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
The Undead Warlock is... ok. I kind of like the transformation piece, but the effects are too scattershot for a caster. A rage for casters is fun, but it should be a bit more focused than it is right now.
The College of Spirits bard is flavorful but I agree with @doctorbadwolf The whole random story and effect is a big negative.
I would prefer something less random, but I do think that the fact that you can go into fights already knowing what your effect will be makes it work. It's like portent, you won't know what the best use of it is until you roll for it, but you'll never accidentally fireball your friends with it.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Huh. I read it as a medium/spiritualist class and thought both classes had a more "gothic horror" theme. Ymmv

Any time I see talking/communicating with spirits, and getting powers from said spirits, that screams "shaman" to me, as that's sort of one of the biggest identifiers for shamans (from most cultures that we associate with "shaman")

Remove ads

Remove ads