Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana: Spirits Bard and Undeath Warlock

We have a new UA release with two subclasses. The College of Spirits Bard is a fortune teller or spirit medium type character with a big random effect table. Meanwhile the Undeath Pact Warlock is a a do-over of the Undying Pact Warlock.

Screen Shot 2020-08-05 at 6.49.17 PM.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Most people ignore the multiclass rules. You can, too.

They explicitly ask us to think about it in the document.

"In early playtests such as this, character options are rarely tuned for multiclassing. We are nonetheless interested in multiclass-related feedback, accounting for it if we finalize the design for publication."

But even if they didn't, it's kinda rude to come out with effectively "the way you are playing is BADWRONGFUN".

Last edited:

I mean, casting with tarrot cards and crystal balls for bards and undead patron are pretty on themes for the speculated, yet to be announced, positively-presented Vistani centric november book!

This seems both highly likely based on available evidence and like a suicide mission to me.

"Steer a course straight through the Eye of Attempted Positive Fantasy-Romani Stereotypes!"
"But cap'n, no crew has ever survived that, and dozens have attempted it"
"I SAID STEER A COURSE, YER LILY-LIVERED SWABBY!"

(Their ship was never seen again)

The only way I see this not ending somewhere on the rocks of "But it's a positive dehumanizing stereotype! A positive one I tell you!" (as screamed by whoever wrote WoD:Gypsies when they dragged him away), is if they revert to the 4E take on the Vistani, where they're a trans-dimensional nomadic wagon-train made of all races, who are all Vistani, because it's a thing you become, by choice.

I am excited for a thousand Pop-Culture-Hamlet Bards who are at this very moment, preparing "hilarious" D&D-themed takes on the Yorick speech (or rather, a small part of it) given the "skull" option, though.

I love the randomized effect thing though, that's cool.

The Warlock Grave-Touched thing is either decent or totally broken depending on how you read it. It kind of sounds like if you're using your Form of Dread, you potentially turn your EB into Necrotic damage and then, what, roll another d10 for damage on every single attack?

I think maybe what they're trying to say is that you get the extra damage on the one attack where you use the FoD Frighten, but that is not what they wrote.

Olrox17

Hero
Maybe they just realized that it really, really sucks.
You know, if they really did realize that, I think they should've just revamped the undying warlock. Those of us that bought SCAG will now officially own a crappy subclass that is completely made obsolete, both mechanically and conceptually, by something that came out in a new book.

It's blatant power creep, littering the game with trap options that will never be directly fixed. Also, we're supposed to buy this "fix", since it'll take up pages in a future book.

Hey WotC, how about fixing the Undying warlock (and the banneret, and most monk subclasses, etcetera) and releasing it as a free errata? You used to do that back in 4e, it was a sensible and respectful consumer practice.

Tallifer

Hero
Hey WotC, how about fixing the Undying warlock (and the banneret, and most monk subclasses, etcetera) and releasing it as a free errata? You used to do that back in 4e, it was a sensible and respectful consumer practice.
I agree they should. However, they never really did as much of that in 4E as they needed. Now that I have gotten back to playing 4E again, there are hundreds of Powers, Feats and Magic Items which are simply trash, even entire classes and sub-classes like the Seeker, Witch and the Beast Master Ranger (some things never change LOL)

You know, if they really did realize that, I think they should've just revamped the undying warlock. Those of us that bought SCAG will now officially own a crappy subclass that is completely made obsolete, both mechanically and conceptually, by something that came out in a new book.

It's blatant power creep, littering the game with trap options that will never be directly fixed. Also, we're supposed to buy this "fix", since it'll take up pages in a future book.

Yep, I mean, the designs and directions you can go with the 5th Ed chassis are marvellous (loosey-goosey, fun space), yet continuous banality and patches from Hasbro-WotC.

Olrox17

Hero
I agree they should. However, they never really did as much of that in 4E as they needed. Now that I have gotten back to playing 4E again, there are hundreds of Powers, Feats and Magic Items which are simply trash, even entire classes and sub-classes like the Seeker, Witch and the Beast Master Ranger (some things never change LOL)
Yeah, that's true. I remember them errataing a slew of spells and powers from the PHB, bringing them up to speed. Unfortunately the edition was discontinued, I would've loved to see them tackling the PHB 2 and 3, also.

Yep, I mean, the designs and directions you can go with the 5th Ed chassis are marvellous (loosey-goosey, fun space), yet continuous banality and patches from Hasbro-WotC.
The Class Variants UA is my greatest (maybe only) hope for this edition.

Weiley31

Legend
You know, an exploding Undead Alligator Warlock sounds like an epic attack or just epic in general. And the Undeath Warlock does explode.

Or the Diablo Necromancer Corpse Explosion comes to mind. Now I want that for the Undeath Warlock.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases