Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana: That Old Black Magic

Random racial spells.... not my cup of tea but could be fun. Summoning demons seem like fun spells. Reminds me of the instinctive actions of some 4e summons.

Random racial spells.... not my cup of tea but could be fun.

Summoning demons seem like fun spells. Reminds me of the instinctive actions of some 4e summons.

turkeygiant

First Post
I was under the impression that fiend was supposed to cover demons too, but I will admit outside of the quasit familiar there is very little that screams "demon" to me in the fiend patron.

It wouldn't hurt my feelings to have another, more demon focused warlock patron type and a new cleric domain that gets some of these as bonus spells.

I think you are right, pretty sure fiend refers to Devils and Demons in 5e.

Dormouse

First Post
I like that the DC on concentrating for the summon Hezrou goes up by 2 every round, but they thought it was important to cap the concentration at one hour, by which time the charisma check would be DC 610. I know you can mitigate the DC with how much food you offer, but it does seem like an oddly worded duration under the circumstances.

mellored

Legend
I like that the DC on concentrating for the summon Hezrou goes up by 2 every round, but they thought it was important to cap the concentration at one hour, by which time the charisma check would be DC 610. I know you can mitigate the DC with how much food you offer, but it does seem like an oddly worded duration under the circumstances.
You can end the spell while you are concentrating on it, dismissing the demon.

But after you lose concentration, he sticks around for 1 hour (total).

All in all it's a pretty good system IMO.

Eejit

First Post
I was also really expecting some Warlock love when I read the title of the UA.

Also the 1h duration on Hezrou means that even if you keep feeding it it won't stick around for a Planar Binding to be completed.

Orlax

First Post
Yeah these spells should be on the warlock list no question. The only pact they make little sense for use with is the fey pact. The fiend pact covers demons (I'd think about subbing in these spells for the bonus spells of my player is planning on his fiend being a demon of some kind), and the great old one is all about lost Eldritch secrets so them taking the demon summoning spells makes a kind of sense in that it's a bit of an off the wall kind of spell not many casters would know or use. At least in my campaign settings of course.

I was planning on having a mad Gnome Wizard causing havoc and spreading madness as the theme for a one-shot on Thursday. I'm delighted to see that Wizards read my mind and provided me with some perfectly appropriate summoning spells, right in the nick of time. :D

The spells are dangerous; the demons are barely controlled, and you are provided with ways to protect yourself from them. These make really amazing bad guy spells, and I can see the chaos unfolding as casters lose control over their minions. All in all, regardless of the spell's power level or balance, they have truly amazing flavour.

The Tiefling stuff is fun, but I'm a little surprised that they feel the need to keep spitting out new options for that one race. Between the PHB and the SCAG, I thought that they had a goodly range of stuff; clearly Wizards feel the need to beef up their ability to match their Planescape guise.

johnsolo

Explorer
I am all for the Warlock love too, but the choice to omit it makes sense as none of the demon conjuring spells are part of their list already.

No Gate or Planar Binding (WHAT Bards and Druids but not Locks or Sorcs?!)

Warlock can get Chains of Carceri, but its Hold Monster for 1 minute ... boo ... and for Conjuring only: Fey, Elemental or Undead (but can't use at higher slots for Undead, garbage).

Kithas

First Post
Is it weird to anyone else that Warlocks can't summon Demons?
Apparently so, shoulda read more than page 1 >.<
I guess to some extent it makes sense as they have a pact with the demon not dominion over them :/

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads