Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana: That Old Black Magic

Random racial spells.... not my cup of tea but could be fun. Summoning demons seem like fun spells. Reminds me of the instinctive actions of some 4e summons.

Random racial spells.... not my cup of tea but could be fun.

Summoning demons seem like fun spells. Reminds me of the instinctive actions of some 4e summons.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
I like it. The Unearthed Arcana articles have been very solid. I look forward to these articles more than the most of the books. I can switch out similar level devils for devil summoning.

Kite474

Explorer
Kind of disappointing that theirs no Warlock options, you know that class that can MAKE A PACT WITH A DEMONIC HORROR!! Besides that though the spells are nice but once again this one is just disappointing compared to last months.

NotActuallyTim

First Post
I'm weirdly OK with the Warlock not getting these options. They already have one significant otherworldly being in their life, and it might be jeaaaaaaaaalous...

I'm actually digging the tiefling subrace, too. It's nice to have an option that's free!

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
The Fiend Warlock doesn't feel demonic though. D&D demons are all about base and raw "sin". Wild animalistic action. They kill, burn, steal, eat, horde, and do lusty things. The Fiendlock doesn't get you much that is abyssal outside of fire spells. The regular spell list has flavor though.

But here is the real reason.

Warlocks cannot get conjuration spells that conjure creatures because pact magic recharges after a short rest

Step 1: Conjure Barlgura
Step 2: Dimension Door away
Step 3: Take a 1 hour nap.
Step 4: Step 1-3 until area is cleared.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
I don't feel that way, at all. I'm trying to pinpoint why I don't.

Don't get me wrong - complaining about the UA articles is akin to complaining about the size of your free lunch. But they all feel - meh. Like WoTC is just throwing half-baked ideas at the wall. I would rather, for example, that the articles came out once every two, or three, months, and had just a little bit more. Think about the variant rules article- that was two pages, and one page (!) was devoted to explaining that, hey, um, alignments... go figure! Or presenting classes that top out at 5 levels - sure, I know they are meant to be playtested ... but that makes them fairly useless for, um, playing.

Just getting my grumpiness out.

My group is getting more use out of the Unearthed Arcana articles than the books they've been releasing after the core books.

We viewed the psionic class as a way to enhance a martial with multiclassing rather than needing to be a class all by itself.

Psikerlord#

Explorer
Personally, nothing useful in this UA for me. I dont like tieflings as PCs, and demon summoning etc is an NPC thing, so I can just adlib that as DM. Nothing to see here.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads