Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana: That Old Black Magic

Random racial spells.... not my cup of tea but could be fun. Summoning demons seem like fun spells. Reminds me of the instinctive actions of some 4e summons.

Random racial spells.... not my cup of tea but could be fun.

Summoning demons seem like fun spells. Reminds me of the instinctive actions of some 4e summons.

Eejit

First Post
The Fiend Warlock doesn't feel demonic though. D&D demons are all about base and raw "sin". Wild animalistic action. They kill, burn, steal, eat, horde, and do lusty things. The Fiendlock doesn't get you much that is abyssal outside of fire spells. The regular spell list has flavor though.

But here is the real reason.

Warlocks cannot get conjuration spells that conjure creatures because pact magic recharges after a short rest

They could get it as an invocation 1/day

SailorNash

Explorer
Was hoping for Mystic as well. Kind of short this time, but nice to see the additional spells.

I agree a demonlock would be a cool addition to have added here, and even more Tiefling traits is bordering on overkill. And the spells should be on the Warlock list first and foremost, given their general theme.

Main thing I'm looking forward to now is having my 'lock Repelling Blast someone out of one of those circles.

maceochaid

Explorer
the real reason.

Warlocks cannot get conjuration spells that conjure creatures because pact magic recharges after a short rest

I think the best way to fix this, and the route I am sure they will go, is to make it an invocation that recharges on a long rest, or one of those 1/day shenanigans, probably with pact of the Chain as a prerequisite. As for "does it fit the fiend" Personally I hope they leave it up to the player to decide if it makes sense for their character. I could see the Prince of Frost or the Queen of Air and Darkness promising they will reveal the secrets for conjuring demons, not because they are demonic themselves, just that in their long lives and quest for eldritch secrets they discovered the true name of a Hezrou or two.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
They could get it as an invocation 1/day

I think the best way to fix this, and the route I am sure they will go, is to make it an invocation that recharges on a long rest, or one of those 1/day shenanigans, probably with pact of the Chain as a prerequisite. As for "does it fit the fiend" Personally I hope they leave it up to the player to decide if it makes sense for their character. I could see the Prince of Frost or the Queen of Air and Darkness promising they will reveal the secrets for conjuring demons, not because they are demonic themselves, just that in their long lives and quest for eldritch secrets they discovered the true name of a Hezrou or two.

That's how I'd do it as well.

An invocation to Conjure shadow demon or Conjure balgura 1/long rest with no spell slot.
Maybe at level 12 or 15.

It would be really warlocky to turn your shadow into a shadow demon and it turn on you 30 seconds in.

The Fiend Warlock doesn't feel demonic though. D&D demons are all about base and raw "sin". Wild animalistic action. They kill, burn, steal, eat, horde, and do lusty things. The Fiendlock doesn't get you much that is abyssal outside of fire spells. The regular spell list has flavor though.

But here is the real reason.

Step 1: Conjure Barlgura
Step 2: Dimension Door away
Step 3: Take a 1 hour nap.
Step 4: Step 1-3 until area is cleared.

Both good points. I think part of it is that demons don't have a damage type associated with them the way devils have with fire (I know not all devils are primarily fire users, but that is what people think of them as). Demons are more hands on then blasting. You could do a madness thing (like OotA), but outside of crown of madness, confusion, and dissonant whispers, there aren't a lot of spells that scream "madness" to me. Necrotic seems more undead then demon.

The 4-step barlgura plan is pretty cool, but I will have to give some thought to what a party with a warlock who can cast 4th level spells is likely to run into. Still, all those demonic resistances/immunities and advantages against magic could make a tough day for the DM.

NotActuallyTim

First Post
Well, if it's just a punch up, the 4-step plan is great. But what about alternate win conditions? Such as not applying damage to your party members?

gyor

Legend
Well the current warlock is Infernal, Fey, GOO, or Light. They need to make the Abyssal warlock first.

You forgot Undying, which basically some sort of immortal.

Thoughts on the racial variant tiefling, I like it, but it did make something occur to me.

One of the most common ancestors was the demonic Succubus and in previous editions the lawful succubus equivalants like Enyrines and Brachinas (pleasure devil), now that Succubi are thier own race seperate from devils and demons and Eryrines aren't seducers anymore, it means that most likely ancestor of Tieflings aren't demons or devils, but depending on setting, Succubi/Incubi and thier Cambion desendants.

So maybe a Succubi Tiefling subrace and Evil God subrace (for th Forgotten Realms) should be added.

Corpsetaker

First Post
I'm sorry but these spells "SCREAM" Warlock. The problem is they kind of backed themselves into a corner with the way the Warlock is designed.

I think I may use Invocations as a way to allow the Warlock to use them and of course they would be usable once per day.

I hate tieflings BTW.

I'm all over this. Not for the tiefling stuff; I can take or leave that. But I've wanted 1) fiend-summoning spells, and 2) more ally-conjuring spells for wizards since I first cracked open the PHB. These are fantastic additions as they are, and also great guidelines for other fiendish summons. :)

Dire Bare

Legend
Im not saying this isnt nice or interesting, bit werent we promised that the new updated rules for psionics woyld be released in this monts UA? Im extremely disapointed that it isnt the case u.u

No, we weren't.

Seriously WTF? Wizards, I have been waiting for two months for the next Psionics Unearthed Arcana and they drop another UA of non-psionic dung after giving the impression that that's what would be released this month. again WTF?

YEAH! How dare WotC not provide free content on MY TIMETABLE! WTF indeed! (Why art Thou Foolish?)

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads