Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana: The ranger, revised... overcompensation?

Erechel

Explorer
Wargs in ASOIAF are basically (Core) D&D Beastmaster Rangers. They act through their pets. And Greenseers are something of low level druids. Funny thing: there is no real paladins in ASOIAF, only fighters (and maybe barbarians). Eddard Stark would be one hell of a paladin, although arguably Howland Reed could be one, belonging to the Oath of Ancients (no one knows, really).

Einlanzer0

Explorer
Interesting updates. I will note that the one major thing that bothered me about Hunters wasn't addressed, and it's the level 11 ability.

The choice should not be between Volley or Whirlwind. The choice should be between Volley and Whirlwind combined or something else, probably something more useful against a single target, to emulate a predator-style single target attacker.

OB1

Jedi Master
You can communicate simple ideas, like 'fetch' or 'let us pass' and figure out if they are hungry or injured, but you can't talk to them. And how you flavor that can be very different depending on your concept. If you aren't a touchy-feely hippy Ranger there are other ways communicating. You can just size up a bear, give him a cold, unflinching stare and cause the bear to back down. Maybe pick out from subtle clues that it is underfed and probably hungry. Nothing says you have to be Snow White singing to birds and making little shirts for mice.

Again, IMHO, that just feels more Beast Conclave than Core Ranger to me, and I'll say so on the survey, but whichever way WoC goes with it I'm fine with. I think it just gives the Beast Conclave another spotlight opportunity at little cost to the Hunter Conclave.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Just a heads up that one of my players in a Thursday night Viking-themed one-shot is playing a UA ranger of the beast conclave. I bet the ranger buys the farm.

I will report back on Friday with a result in this ranger thread or whichever one replaces it.

Update: I'll have 2 UA rangers in my game tonight - one beast conclave and one hunter. So I'm guessing two deaths here.

Lord Twig

Adventurer
Again, IMHO, that just feels more Beast Conclave than Core Ranger to me, and I'll say so on the survey, but whichever way WoC goes with it I'm fine with. I think it just gives the Beast Conclave another spotlight opportunity at little cost to the Hunter Conclave.

Fair enough. Just a difference of taste I guess. Happy gaming!

Remove ads