Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana: Wild Magic and Draconic Bloodline

CapnZapp

Legend
No edition of D&D has ever given a satisfying reason why arctic monsters would use cold damage and volcano monsters fire damage, when the opposite is so clearly superior.

It simply is one of the unwritten rules of the universe.

A rule only plucky adventurers get to break, it seems.

CapnZapp

Legend
Most of the stormborn sorcerer's spells are utility spells that a sorcerer is unlikely to take. So it's adding them otherwise the weather sorcerer is very unlikely to have weather spells like fog cloud, gust of wind, or levitate. In contrast, the draconic sorcerer is very blasty, so it doesn't need more spells. The spells the sorcerer is likely to take already match its theme.

Also, many of the good weather based spells are on the druid list and not necessarily sorcerer spells. So it's an excuse to add call lightning and the conjuring spells. But the elemental and chaos based spells are already on the sorcerer's spell list, so they don't need to be added.

If adding new spells to the dragon and wild sorcerer, I'd really focus on utility spells and/or spells not on the sorcerer list.
Agreed.

I'm leaning towards giving the Wild Mage at least one spell making attack rolls at each level, and fill up the rest with themed spells, preferably spells with a "wild" chaotic and unpredictable nature.

Of course, now I'm talking about spells that doesn't exist. Yet.

The dragon sorcerer probably doesn't need anything. Let it be the base sorcerer.

Agreed.

I'm leaning towards giving the Wild Mage at least one spell making attack rolls at each level, and fill up the rest with themed spells, preferably spells with a "wild" chaotic and unpredictable nature.
An attack spell every other level would be fine, since they still get their own spells to choose from. Levels 1, 5, and 9 would be my suggestion as there's a lot of good boom spells to choose from. Even spell levels tend to be more utilitarian, so there's more opportunity for the sorcerer to take one of the blasty spell themselves (and more good utility spells to freely award).

CapnZapp

Legend
You probably realized this, but just so everyone's clear:

When I said every level, I meant spell level.

When I said attack spell, I meant spell that lets you make attack rolls.

Cheers

Last edited:

Remove ads