Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana: Wizards & Warlocks -- Hexblades, Raven Queens, and Lore Mastery!

Master of Hexes Starting at 14th level, you can use your Hexblade’s Curse again without resting, but when you apply it to a new target, the curse immediately ends on the previous target. Does this mean you can cast it one more time, or over and over again? And does the 1 minute duration reset upon a new target, or does it continue from the previous target?

Master of Hexes
Starting at 14th level, you can use your
Hexblade’s Curse again without resting, but
when you apply it to a new target, the curse
immediately ends on the previous target.

Does this mean you can cast it one more time, or over and over again? And does the 1 minute duration reset upon a new target, or does it continue from the previous target?

Sascha

First Post
I like most of it. But charisma on attack rolls is too much. Way too much. That makes warlock multiclass too good. With a single level you have a great ranged and melee option. The curse on top. No thanks.

Tomelocks has the option to take the Shillelag Cantrip that enables the Warlock to use Cha to Attack/damage rolls... What´s the difference!?

Sascha

First Post
Warlocks don´t have 9th Level Spell Slots, the maximum ist 5th Level.

Curse Bringer, as mentioned, can´t be used with the Hexblade´s CHA-Attack-Modifier, because you get a Greatsword.

I only tell one thing, that you must to read before you write nonsenseless things... "MYSTIC ARCANUM"

Shadowdweller00

Adventurer
I think the Loremaster is a disgusting transgression against balance, flavor, and class niche. The initiative bonus, while not inherently overpowered, is not appropriate for any subclass that does not involve stealth, scouting, or seeing. It is most definitely not appropriate for a generalist subclass. Magic and spells in 5e have been deliberately balanced by energy type and save type; for example each class is proficient with a common save type and an uncommon save type. The ability to swap out spell saves is extremely powerful, let alone an unlimited number of times per day. That this has been combined with the capacity to swap energy type under the purlieu of a single, low-level class ability is beyond imbecilic from a balance perspective. As many have mentioned these also tread significantly and even overshadow the sorcerer's niche.

Better and more flavor-appropriate abilities for a generalist wizard might include items such as:
* The ability to prepare a few more spells per day; or possibly swap preparation of a couple spells partway through the day
* A couple more spell slots (particularly low-level) per day, perhaps via arcane recovery
* Some extra facility with consumable or charged magic items (retain or recharge with expenditure of spell slots, perhaps)
* Improved ability with ritual casting (perhaps reducing the time expenditure)

I think the Loremaster is a disgusting transgression against balance, flavor, and class niche. The initiative bonus, while not inherently overpowered, is not appropriate for any subclass that does not involve stealth, scouting, or seeing. It is most definitely not appropriate for a generalist subclass. Magic and spells in 5e have been deliberately balanced by energy type and save type; for example each class is proficient with a common save type and an uncommon save type. The ability to swap out spell saves is extremely powerful, let alone an unlimited number of times per day. That this has been combined with the capacity to swap energy type under the purlieu of a single, low-level class ability is beyond imbecilic from a balance perspective. As many have mentioned these also tread significantly and even overshadow the sorcerer's niche.
I don't think anything the loremaster does would be inappropriate... if it had to prepare the modified spells.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
I don't think anything the loremaster does would be inappropriate... if it had to prepare the modified spells.

There is noway I would allow the loremaster as written, not even a tamed version. Ok, I might, but only if both of the following happened:

The sorcerer class is errated to have double the spells known, 1.5 more sorcery points, more metamagic options -both to choose from and known, including elemental shift-, and full free reign over any spell ever.

Then the loremaster can keep those abilites, but the modified spells have to be prepared ahead of time, these are fire and forget, and only one version of each spell can be prepared ever. Oh, and the full class is errated to become more and more ghoulish and zombiesh over the levels and finally become a lich at 20th without a way out, yeah give them bonuses for it, but they have to become more and more monstruous period.

So basically, there is no way I'd ever allow it or play on a table that allows it.

There is noway I would allow the loremaster as written, not even a tamed version. Ok, I might, but only if both of the following happened:

The sorcerer class is errated to have double the spells known, 1.5 more sorcery points, more metamagic options -both to choose from and known, including elemental shift-, and full free reign over any spell ever.

Then the loremaster can keep those abilites, but the modified spells have to be prepared ahead of time, these are fire and forget, and only one version of each spell can be prepared ever. Oh, and the full class is errated to become more and more ghoulish and zombiesh over the levels and finally become a lich at 20th without a way out, yeah give them bonuses for it, but they have to become more and more monstruous period.

So basically, there is no way I'd ever allow it or play on a table that allows it.
Do you really think overt spitefulness is a good tone to adopt if you want your opinion to be taken seriously?

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads