• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Unfortunate Wording

ccooke

Adventurer
I think this is a great change. It opens up new room for character building that previously weren't possible. For instance, a failed Wizard's Apprentice:

Variant Human, taking the Magic Initiate feat (True Strike (this is lovely for a scouting Rogue!) and Minor Image as cantrips, so many useful 1st level spells but let's go with Mage Armour)
S: 8(-1), D: 16(+3), C: 14(+2), I: 14(+2), W: 10(+0), Ch: 12(+1)
Class: Rogue
Background: Urchin, replacing Sleight of Hand with Arcana.
Expertise in Arcana and Stealth.
At level one, she would need to roll 4+ to cast a Cantrip, 5+ for 1st level spell from a scroll - doable, but not perfect. That quickly goes up, though, with expertise.
By level 5, she needs 2+ which is pretty decent. 5% failure chance.
At level 9, automatic success on cantrips and 1st level, 5% failure chance per level above 1st.
At level 11, thanks to Reliable Talent, she can cast any scroll automatically (+8 from expertise (double proficiency), +2 from Int, any roll lower than 10 treated as 10 makes the minimum check 20, enough to cast a 9th level spell).
She asks a lot of questions (Trait), believes in helping people who help her (Ideal), still believes she owes a debt to the Wizard who took her in, even though she ended up stealing from her (Bond) and has a bit of a weakness for gold (Flaw)
I'd probably get her a few 1st level scrolls and cantrips (cantrip scrolls should be cheapish, and she can keep on picking them up to "stay in practice". Mending, Light and Mage Hand are probably the most likely ones). Maybe pick up the ritual caster feat eventually.

She doesn't even need to go with the Arcane Trickster subclass, although it would be completely natural (and provide automatic success to some scrolls much sooner)

Last edited:

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
I think it's a good thing that people can attempt to use scrolls of spells they otherwise couldn't cast. It makes Intelligence and Arcana valuable. It also means that the DM doesn't have to worry about giving the party scrolls for classes that the party doesn't include, rather than the players going "Bleh. Another scroll we can't use. Vendor trash!"

Pickles JG

First Post
It's brilliantly worded so that each gaming group will play it exactly the way they want to.

Except gaming groups do not read rules, people do & individuals within a group may well read it differently

Still 10/10 for making lemonade. I would rather have unambiguously draughted rules than the reverse & fortunately this is one.

Pickles JG

First Post
But gaming groups agree on how to use rules.

Or disagree & bicker & have huge fallings out & don't speak to one another for years then get back together when a new edition comes out then start bickering again when they can't agree on hoethe rules are supposed to be read & have a weak DM & so it continues

Ravenheart87

Explorer
Or disagree & bicker & have huge fallings out & don't speak to one another for years then get back together when a new edition comes out then start bickering again when they can't agree on hoethe rules are supposed to be read & have a weak DM & so it continues

In this case there are two options: don't play D&D or grow up.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads