• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Unfortunate Wording

wwanno

First Post
I understood it this way:
You are a caster of appropriate class and level for that scroll: no roll.

You are a caster of the appropriate class for that scroll but of a lower level: you roll.

The "otherwise" is for the level prerequisite.

Maybe I am fooled by the knowledge of the old 3.x rules.

CrashFiend82

Explorer
While I can appreciate both rulings based on the game. I am also waiting to see more on scroll treasure rules in the DMG. With PCs no longer to purchase magical items such as scrolls in town based on my understanding from PHB rules. Also with craft time even for 1st lvl scrolls likely taking 50+ days to creat... waiting for more but IMO scrolls will be fairly rare, certainly you will need to seek the best chances to have it cast. But in extrodinary cases it does allow a non-caster the chance even a small chance to get the cleric or wizard back up. I will also likely houserule the necessay check Religion, Nature, Arcana based on the spell though I think this this is fun as some RP needed to determine the type of spell.

Agamon

Adventurer
Anyone can use a potion, all you have to is drink it. The magic is stored in the liquid.

Anyone can use a wand, the magic is stored in the wand.

I'm not sure what's so weird about anyone using a scroll. The magic is stored in the runes on the scroll. The only problem is deciphering the runes, thus the Arcana check.

None of these items require you to cast a spell, just apply the trigger to unleash the magic.

I think Yoda would agree with me that some people need to unlearn what they've previously learned. :)

pedro2112

First Post
Are you guys serious? Look at the Starter set rules, then look at the higher level "use magic device" ability of the Thief Archetype, which would be seriously lessened. What other rule is so dramatically different between the starter set rules and the basic rules? I'm mystified that so many people read it this way.

Agamon

Adventurer
Are you guys serious? Look at the Starter set rules, then look at the higher level "use magic device" ability of the Thief Archetype, which would be seriously lessened. What other rule is so dramatically different between the starter set rules and the basic rules? I'm mystified that so many people read it this way.

It might be stretching the rule a bit, but I'd say that the rogue can cast a scroll without making the Arcana check. That's pretty big. He can cast Wish from a scroll more easily than a Wizard that can;t cast 9th level spells.

Sir Brennen

Legend
I will also likely houserule the necessay check Religion, Nature, Arcana based on the spell though I think this this is fun as some RP needed to determine the type of spell.
I might go that one step further and require the character to be proficient with the relevant skill. It may be a "trigger" item with most of the work done for you, but it's still an item that uses magical writing. No untrained person is going to just "get lucky" in causing the spell to be cast, anymore than an English speaker is going to properly pronounce a sentence written in Sanskrit if he's never been trained in it.

Makes me wonder about the difference between the Starter Set and PHB wording, though. Will the DMG have different wording regarding using scrolls when it comes out? Or will perhaps even have a few different options, based on the type of campaign you want to run?

jadrax

Adventurer
Makes me wonder about the difference between the Starter Set and PHB wording, though. Will the DMG have different wording regarding using scrolls when it comes out? Or will perhaps even have a few different options, based on the type of campaign you want to run?

I am guessing the starter set was built with a slightly earlier set of rules. The NPC parry ability is also slightly different. Not spotted anything else yet.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
It might be stretching the rule a bit, but I'd say that the rogue can cast a scroll without making the Arcana check. That's pretty big. He can cast Wish from a scroll more easily than a Wizard that can;t cast 9th level spells.

I don't think that stretches the rule at all since the Use Magic Device rule for the Thief doesn't seem to say anything about needing a check, nor does it put a limit on the power of the magic item he's trying to use and in fact specifically says that you ignore level requirements. I think he just reads the scroll and it works - no check required - regardless of the level of the spell being read off the scroll. Considering that he can also use non-scroll magic items with no class/level requirements, I don't think letting other classes specifically use scrolls with an Arcana check lessens the Thief's ability at all.

Agamon

Adventurer
Considering that he can also use non-scroll magic items with no class/level requirements, I don't think letting other classes specifically use scrolls with an Arcana check lessens the Thief's ability at all.

Yep. How many fighters, likely untrained in Arcana, are going to risk wasting a high level scroll by even attempting to use it? Sure, they can try if they want, but it's not a good idea.

Remove ads