Dragonlance Unlocked on D&D Beyond: Dragonlance Shadow of the Dragon Queen!

A couple of weeks earlier than the December 6th street date for the hardcover, Dragonlance: Shadow of the Dragon Queen has been unlocked in digital format over on D&D Beyond for early access. If you have purchased a SotDQ bundle you can redeem your code at this link. If not, you can pre-order now: https://dndstore.wizards.com/us?icid_medium=article&icid_content=dragonlance-bundles...

A couple of weeks earlier than the December 6th street date for the hardcover, Dragonlance: Shadow of the Dragon Queen has been unlocked in digital format over on D&D Beyond for early access. If you have purchased a SotDQ bundle you can redeem your code at this link. If not, you can pre-order now:

Screen Shot 2022-11-22 at 4.57.59 PM.png

DISCLAIMER: THE DRAGON ARMIES CANNOT ENSURE THAT OWNERS OF THIS BOOK WILL NOT HAVE THEIR LIVES REPURPOSED IN THE SERVICE OF THE DRAGON QUEEN’S GLORIOUS WILL. PROMISES TO THE CONTRARY SHOULD BE CONSIDERED BEST-CASE SCENARIOS, NOT STATEMENTS OF CERTAINTY. THANK YOU FOR SUPPORTING THE DRAGON ARMIES AND A CATACLYSMICALLY BRIGHT FUTURE FOR ALL OF KRYNN.​

OK, I've read the first chapter of the actual adventure (in Vogler), and I'm pretty impressed so far. It's full of lots of fun and/or interesting role-playing opportunities, with fairly well-developed NPCs who interact with the party in various ways (and will in some cases continue on into later chapters) - but it also throws 2nd and 3rd level characters straight into the meatgrinder, with two mass combat scenarios right away. A lot of 5e adventures have really weak, or even disconnected, first acts (STK and BG: DiA I'm looking at you), but this one definitely doesn't seem to fall into that group.

It is somewhat railroady, but at least the railroad has lots of branches for the characters to do interesting things. And of course, it's just the first part of the adventure, for characters who are still squishy, so that's probably not too bad of a thing. And it is being very true to the setting - a heroic Knight of Solamnia, lots of draconians (no one have seen them before), and if you perform healing magic in front of anyone, you'll be greeted with awe and NPCs might ask about your newly-rediscovered god(s).

Baumi

Adventurer
In the old Editions, the High Sorcery forbids Spellcasters to advance above 3rd Level. How did they handle it here? Is the Background mandatory and what about non-wizards (Sorcerers, Artificers, Bards,..)?

jgsugden

Legend
I'm not a fan of the access only being there for people that bought the bundle. How that will really play out - People that get the bundle will spend 2 weeks posting everything on Reddit, message boards, and forums to answer the questions from the people that also bought the books, but are not being provided with them. All it does is move content outside their paywall.

agrayday

Explorer
Ah, so the Lunar Sorcery schools from the preview did have a misprint.

Full Moon. Abjuration and divination spells

New Moon. Enchantment and necromancy spells

Crescent Moon. Illusion and transmutation spells

Also, the High Sorcery feats are pretty neat - you get one extra spell and a free daily spell slot to cast it for each you take (1st level for the first one, and 2nd level for whichever of the second group you choose). They definitely steer you towards certain schools, mirroring the Lunar Sorcery subclass - Black Robes to necromancy and enchantment, Red Robes to illusion and transmutation, and White Robes to abjuration and divination - although you're not forced that way if you don't want to. Also, while there aren't any strict alignments for them, the descriptions of both the Orders and the gods they follow very strongly indicate the alignments that each group has...

Edit. Actually, it's a cantrip and two 1st level spells that you get for free with the first feat (and each can be cast for free once a day). Very nice.
I read the book is misprinted. So, that's going to be awesome for those players bringing their books to the table (w/ characters) and having a long discussion with the DM on "errata" (Or the other way around). :/ of course, if everyone is on D&D beyond, is not an issue. I assume that's a selling point. how much other errata is there?

Remove ads

Remove ads