D&D 5E Unperceivable, Perceived, Hidden - an attempt to clarify invisibility and hiding

seebs

Adventurer
how to wreck life for every wizard everywhere: research a spell called "unsmelled servant", wait for them to think about the implications

CapnZapp

Legend
Honestly, the current system is so FUBAR the easiest solution is to simply use your common sense and your experience running a dozen other fantasy rpgs, none of which fails so spectacularly in providing an stealth subsystem that can actually be used right out the box.

I like this classification. It provides a useful framework for adjudicating all those fiddly Stealth, Hiding and Perception rules.

Given that you start by saying (my emphasis),

Relative to you, a subject is in one of four states of being noticed.

...I would change Hiding to Hidden.

The PHB uses the two terms differently, and a careful reading of the rules suggests that this difference is deliberate and meaningful.

Hiding represents the intent and activity of a creature (the hider) to avoid detection - to be Hidden from other creatures. Hiding is a property of the hider alone and is represented by the fact that it makes a Stealth check. If it is not Hiding then there is no way it can be Hidden from another creature.

When a creature is hiding, we don't know whether it succeeds at being Hidden from other creatures until those other creatures have a chance to perceive it, and contest its Stealth check with their Perception checks. If the hider is not perceived by another creature (let's call it C1), then we know it is Hidden from that creature, and that creature only.

If, on the other hand, the hider is percevied by C1, then it is no longer Hidden from C1. But the hider may still remain Hidden from another creature (C2).

So Hidden is a property of the hiding creature relative to a perceiving creature, something it has in common with the other items in your classification. Hiding is not like that, so I don't think it belongs in the classification.

PS I'm sure I could have said this in fewer words, but I hope you get my drift.

Remove ads