D&D 5E Unseen Servant, fun with

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
Unseen Servant has always held a special spot in my heart. Maybe because boy, would I sure like to have this spell in real life. The 5E version has some welcome specificity that nevertheless inspires some intriguing, undefined possibilities. I'm curious how this community feels about the topics below.

1. Space occupancy.
"This spell creates an invisible, mindless, shapeless force that performs simple tasks at your command until the spell ends.The servant springs into existence in an unoccupied space on the ground within range." "Once on each of your turns as a bonus action, you can mentally command the servant to move up to 15 feet and interact with an object."

The above three sentences deal with the Servant's nature. It's "shapeless", yet must be conjured into an unoccupied space. It's position is also specific to a single space; if you want it to an interact with an object, you have to command it to move from where it is, to where you want it to be.

So: does the Servant occupy a space? From the description, yes of course it does. But from a game point of view, does it occupy a space? Can another creature move into its space? Would it block movement?

The "shapeless" nature of the Servant makes the answer ambiguous. If the shapelessness means that the Servant does not occupy a space, does that mean it can move through barriers, such as jail bars, nets, or walls? Does that mean it doesn't register to Blindsight? That it doesn't leave ripples when it enters water?

It's a tricky question. It seems to me you could think of Unseen Servant as essentially an invisible mindless gnome (OCCUPIES A SPACE), or as essentially a persistent, command-following version of The Force that for some reason is limited to interacting with things within 15 feet of the last thing you interacted with (DOES NOT OCCUPY A SPACE). If it's the former, you can use it in combat as an obstacle. If it's the latter, it's a lot stealthier, and a valuable aid to thieves.

Another consideration: the Unseen Servant has an AC (10) and HP (1). If it occupies a space, it stands to reason that it can be attacked with weapons and spells, and suffer from AOEs and environmental damage. If it doesn't occupy a space... what purpose do these stats serve?

Personally, I'm coming down on the "occupy a space" side. Unseen Servant is not telekinesis.

2. Complexity of tasks
"The servant can perform simple tasks that a human servant could do, such as fetching things, cleaning, mending, folding clothes, lighting fires, serving food, and pouring wine."

These are excellent, specific examples. What else can the Servant do? Keep in mind it's further limited by a Str of 2.

Can it dig a ditch? Build a wall? The PHB p 178 says that a 2 Str can "carry" 30 pounds, and "push, drag, or lift" 60 pounds. A typical shovelful of dirt is less than 10 pounds. A typical 12"x7" concrete wall block is 22 pounds. That 2 Str is actually pretty useful.

Can it copy a letter? Can it search a book for an instance of a specific word? The Unseen Servant is described as "mindless", yet some of its described uses, such as starting a fire (selecting tinder, building a fire, igniting a spark, nurturing a flame, feeding the fire) and serving food (using utensils, identifying food and serving plates) indicate some level of observation ability and competency. Surely the Unseen Servant cannot read--it can't comprehend written language--but could it dumbly use a pencil to match the shapes on another page? Could it CTRL-F for a specific word in a book?

3. Getting the most out of your Unseen Servant
Your mindless friend can prepare camp, perform boring physical labor, and open suspected-as-dangerous doors and containers. But he can do so much more.

Charlatan's assistant: Your buddy sticks around for a solid hour. Plenty of time to call him, mosey (15' move) to a mark, and have some fun. The Servant responds to mental commands, so you can order him around in secret. Have him tap shoulders, lift cloaks, rattle glassware, flip cards, move Ouija board markers, or otherwise enhance your act. He's spooktacular. And unlike Prestidigitation or Thaumaturgy, he can do all this while you do other things (commanding the servant takes no action), and you don't give the gig away (requires no Verbal, Somatic, or Material components). He's on-demand supernatural effects. For the Performers in the party, he can keep simple time on a drum, cowbell, or other simple percussion instrument, and effect set changes. He can even pass the hat.

Dungeon Pal: Torchbearer is obvious, but keep in mind the Servant's vulnerability and low speed. He can't keep up if you need to pursue or run away, and he'll drop that torch at the first AOE spell or trap. Use him for unusual solutions to unusual challenges: he can prod weird mushrooms or stalagmites, fill containers from strange pools, pick up golden idols, pry gem eyes. And of course: he's the designated opener of doors, coffins, and chests.

Force multiplier: A single Unseen Servant can fetch wood and start a fire, dig a latrine, unpack and brush the horses, lay out the bedrolls, and serve the pork n' beans. But why settle for a single Servant? The spell takes ten minutes to cast (as a ritual) and lasts for an hour. It doesn't require Concentration. So cast it once, and set that Servant to digging a perimeter ditch. Cast it again, and have that Servant join in. Cast it again, and have that Servant chop some small trees. Cast it again, and have that servant trim the branches and sharpen the ends. Cast it a fifth time, and have that Servant dig small holes along the perimeter of the ditch. Cast it a final time, and right when the first Servant expires this sixth Servant can start sticking the sharpened stakes in the holes. Set the other Servants to help finish this task and the ditch. With one hour of casting you get six man-hours of tireless labor. Assuming the other PCs pitch in, you can sleep in the security of a (tiny) Roman-style field fort each night.

You can extend this to other scenarios. Spend 20 minutes casting before heading into a situation, and you'll have two allies for 50 minutes. Invisible, no-action-requiring-to-mentally-command allies. Have each one carry a sack of caltrops, and you've got instant hazards to deploy. Or have them deploy a spread cloak between them, thereby giving you full cover. Or have them both follow you around on either side, each carrying a skull at head height, for major creep cred. Or have them bear shields, as your two ethereal bodyguards. For extra fun, light up these props with Prestidigitation, Light, or other special effect cantrips. "Flaming" swords are fun! Sure, these Servants are useless in combat. But whoever you're trying to intimidate doesn't know that. "You and what army", indeed.

What other fun uses of Unseen Servant can y'all think up?

*EDIT: commanding the servant does require an action. Specifically, a bonus action.

Last edited:

Income generation. Unseen servants bus the tables at my inn, get hired out for posh parties, and perform simple repetitive manufacturing tasks so I can sell trade goods.

Wik

First Post
Aw, man, don't even.

The party bard has just realized that this spell is a ritual, and it seems he is now making sure EVERY spell he can cast is ritual-ready. Unseen Servant being able to occupy a space (but not be seen) is dangerous territory for this guy. I can imagine him doing it to block attacks (put the servant in front of the archer!), or to help seize combat objectives. Then there's the good ol' "crouch down low by this cliff face, and use your body to trip any schmuck that gets close to you".

Personally, I'm against anything that lets this guy be used inside of combat. Giving it space can be used among some players (and I have one! Two, even!) as a new combat prop, and I've had enough of that malarkey. Then again, I've begun to re-implement 1e style strict timekeeping, and every 10 minutes is a roll on a random encounter table, so if they want to spend the time to recharge the servant, why not let them....?

As for the low strength requirement, I don't know about what a 2 strength could actually DO. Sure, lifting 30 pounds is nice and all, but what about the actual power required to get that shovel into the ground? Or to cut a tree? Never mind lifting the aftermath.

A fun use though... I wonder if an unseen servant could draw from a deck of many things...?

HarrisonF

Explorer
One neat use I have done is to combine Unseen Servant with Illusions. You can have the unseen servant move something around, but pretend your Silent or Major Image is doing it. It really makes it hard for people to have a reason to disbelieve illusions when they see the illusion interacting with physical objects.

Riley37

First Post
I did a long post a while ago about magical harassment, for example, if a level 1 wizard and level 1 bard, in the Cult of the Dragon, want to make the PC's lives miserable. Some things you can have your Unseen Servant do:
- spill the mug of the person sitting next to your target, at a tavern, possibly starting a brawl
- trip the barmaid as she walks past the target
- if your target visits a library, knock books to the floor, everywhere the target goes
- stick papers into a nearby lamp or candle
- if your target goes to a market, knock over produce etc.
- put valuable items into the target's bag, then tell have it deliver an anonymous note to the Watch, advising them to search the target for stolen property

I had a wizard use Unseen Servant do the mug-knocking and barmaid-tripping tricks at a tavern. Another PC, who was nearby and invisible, noticed the barmaid's skirt bunching up just before she tripped. The barmaid glared at the target PC, then got a mop and bucket. Watching closely, the same PC on invisible overwatch saw the bucket rise to spill its contents over the barmaid's head while she cleaned up the spill. That PC cast a Web over the area, and I had to decide, on the fly, whether the Unseen Servant occupied a volume, a volume which would be apparent within the Web (because no strands passing through that volume). I decided yes. Another overwatch PC shot an arrow into that gap within the Web, easily hitting AC 10 and doing overkill damage. Okay, the unseen servant pops out of existence.

The PCs have ruled out an invisible *person*, and are working on the theory of an invisible *familiar* (the wizard has also harassed them and spied on them with familiar). Meanwhile, they're now unwelcome in that tavern, for suspicion of minor mischief, and no-doubt-about-it having cast Web and fired an arrow in the tavern's main room.

The harassing wizard, meanwhile, merely expended the 10 minutes to create a Servant, the time to direct the servant, and the risk that somehow the PCs would recognize him as somehow connected to their troubles... but he was just one of a dozen people who happened to be in the tavern's common room at the time.

Two things worth noting:

* Commanding a servant doesn't take an action, but it does require one bonus action per Unseen Servant.
* You don't have to take 10 minutes per Unseen Servant. If you want to have ten servants simultaneously, you can always burn spell slots. It's not something you would do in combat, but if you just want to clean up after a messy dwarven tea party, ten spell slots and two minutes of work may be more appealing to a wizard than spending the next hour summoning Unseen Servants.

I'd argue they could builld a wall or dig a ditch, but I'm not sure on it or a group of them chopping down a tree in any reasonable amount of time given that its weaker than a housecat and the blows just wouldn't have the appropriate force. You get an hour of tireless labor, but it is weak labor.

The spell say's it's mindless, but I think an Intelligence of 2 sounds more appropriate given the tasks listed as you note. It should be able to copy words as that is just pattern duplication. However it might have more trouble finding a word, particularly given how people's handwriting differs. In a library full of typed books it would be easier. So I'd give it an investigation roll, at -5. Base DC depending on circumstance (written, DC 2 say, normal writing DC 5, madman's scribblings, DC 12).

I'd argue they could builld a wall or dig a ditch, but I'm not sure on it or a group of them chopping down a tree in any reasonable amount of time given that its weaker than a housecat and the blows just wouldn't have the appropriate force. You get an hour of tireless labor, but it is weak labor.

I'd estimate my housecats' Strength at less than 1. Unseen Servant can lift 30 pounds, my cats can't even manage 4 pounds.

Remove ads