Unusual Food Thread

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Weetbix. Intergenerational breakfast cereal very low in fat,suger, taste etc

Yeah, we have it here, too.

1598193115817.png

It's the wheat version of unsweetened cornflakes pressed into biscuits.

Except, you know, bad. Like eating compressed sawdust. Have used it as a representation of dwarven waybread, to give players the idea that dwarves will put up with a lot if it serves a purpose.

Zardnaar

Legend
Yeah, we have it here, too.

View attachment 124987

Except, you know, bad. Like eating compressed sawdust. Have used it as a representation of dwarven waybread, to give players the idea that dwarves will put up with a lot if it serves a purpose.

It was for the benefit of the Americans and others. Outside UK/NZ/Oz a few foods don't exist as such.

You can get the UK version here. Try marmite or Vegemite on them.

As I said low in suger, salt, fat and taste.

Cereal has a shocking amount of suger in it. More than soda in a lot of cases.

We were raised on the stuff like most NZers. Hot water, milk suger enjoy tough luck if you don't like it.

Zardnaar

Legend
Bacon
IMG_20200826_173521.jpg

Big deal right? Manuka smoked bacon however. Manuka is a wood indigenous to NZ. Has a nice smokey flavour moreso than most bacon. IDK if it's exported.

Very little fat as far as bacon goes either.

Added to home bad cheeseburgers with aioli and sweet chilli sauce, cooked an egg for wife's burger as well, not for me as I don't like chicken+egg that often.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I’ve never heard of manuka, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the guys who write those serious BBQ books knew about it in depth. Sounds pretty nice.

Zardnaar

Legend
Kumara (Polynesian sweet potato) fries in a pot.

IMG_20200829_182952.jpg

Beer battered (pilsner) blue cod.

IMG_20200829_182939.jpg

Not really unusual I suppose idk how it's done overseas.
IMG_20200829_201223.jpg

Peach roll ups, whipped cream carrot cake.

Last edited:

Ryujin

Legend
Dulse. Just stick a wad of it in your mouth and chew it like chewing tobacco. Salty and full of essential vitamins, and minerals. It's a thing from my youth in the Canadian Maritime Provinces and, unfortunately, the only places that I can seem to find it these days are vegan shops, at insanely marked-up prices.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I got some dried dulse a few years ago at a Nature’s Grocery near me. That’s a store 1 part grocery, 1?part vitamin store, 1 part new age shop.

It wasn’t bad, but I was the only one who really enjoyed it at all.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases