Unusual Food Thread

Nobby-W

Far more clumsy and random than a blaster
Some things can’t be rushed.
Rendang starts out with a lot of coconut milk in the recipe - about two cans per kg of beef - and you have to boil it down to quite a dry consistency without burning it. The last few hours consist of simmering it over a very low heat and stirring it every 10 minutes or so until it's dry enough for the coconut fat to be coming off.

The end result is delicious, though.

Nobby-W

A lot of Thai cooking uses coconut cream. Not a fan of it.
You might or might not like Rendang then - it uses a lot of coconut milk. Coconut milk is used all over south east asian food and seems to be a love or hate thing.

Zardnaar

Legend
You might or might not like Rendang then - it uses a lot of coconut milk. Coconut milk is used all over south east asian food and seems to be a love or hate thing.

I can eat Thai but it's usually because some is having a birthday or whatever.

I'll never think "gee I really want Thai tonight" and go get some.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Also have 7 or 8 Turkish places more or less on top of one another almost one every block. One street has 3 of them on a 100 meter stretch.
Along the big North/South street we live just off of, there are HORDES of restaurants. When we moved here in ‘98, the two biggest categories were Tex-Mex, Italian and Chinese. We had about 11 of each in a space it would take 30 minutes to drive on an average day.

Now, Indian restaurants in that same corridor easily rival that, along with at least 4 Indian/Pakistani groceries and a few Indian fusion places (Indian-Mexican, Indian Pizzeria, etc). There’s a strip mall near my Dad’s current office location that has 3 Indian restaurants, an Indian grocery...and an Indian-owned creole place. o_O

But for whatever reason, the Indian places haven’t been as stable. There’s one suite that had a Tex-Mex place 20 years ago that has since held 3 different Indian restaurants in the past decade. Another one a block down the street was nice, closed and changed to a different Indian place, then closed, only to be replaced by the same restaurant it had supplanted- all within 4 years.

We even had a location for a high-end Indian chain near us- 6 locations worldwide, on 3 different continents, each in a major city. They only lasted 5 years before being replaced by a different Indian place.

Nobby-W

I can eat Thai but it's usually because some is having a birthday or whatever.

I'll never think "gee I really want Thai tonight" and go get some.
Not sure where you'd go about getting Rendang in Dunedin, mostly what you would get in an Indonesian restaurant is Kalio, which is part-cooked Rendang, just down to about the consistency of an Indian curry. Rendang is not all that hard to make, though, just time-consuming.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
Not sure where you'd go about getting Rendang in Dunedin, mostly what you would get in an Indonesian restaurant is Kalio, which is part-cooked Rendang, just down to about the consistency of an Indian curry. It's not all that hard to make, though, just time-consuming.

Google tells me there's 3 in town all in the CBD.

Zardnaar

Legend
Decisions decisions.

IMG_20201003_185736.jpg

IMG_20201003_185720.jpg

Local Syrian place. 1NZD is about 0.7 USD.

Ordered lamb freekeh.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases