Upcoming Arthurian Movie The Green Knight Has An RPG

The Green Knight, an Arthurian-themed movie starring Dev Patel as Sir Gawain has been delayed because of the global pandemic. However, you can pre-order the official RPG which releases in August! The game is called The Green Knight: A Quest for Honor. Characters come in the form of knights, nobles, hunters, sorcerers, and bards, and comes in a boxed set with a rulebook, a book of encounters...

The Green Knight, an Arthurian-themed movie starring Dev Patel as Sir Gawain has been delayed because of the global pandemic. However, you can pre-order the official RPG which releases in August!

The game is called The Green Knight: A Quest for Honor. Characters come in the form of knights, nobles, hunters, sorcerers, and bards, and comes in a boxed set with a rulebook, a book of encounters, a d20, character sheets, and a map. The game costs $35 and ships on August 7th.

20200706_A24_TheGreenKnight_Game_4420gray.jpg

As for the movie itself, here's the description: "An epic fantasy adventure based on the timeless Arthurian legend, The Green Knight tells the story of Sir Gawain (Dev Patel), King Arthur's reckless and headstrong nephew, who embarks on a daring quest to confront the eponymous Green Knight, a gigantic emerald-skinned stranger and tester of men. Gawain contends with ghosts, giants, thieves, and schemers in what becomes a deeper journey to define his character and prove his worth in the eyes of his family and kingdom by facing the ultimate challenger. From visionary filmmaker David Lowery comes a fresh and bold spin on a classic tale from the knights of the round table."

20200706_A24_TheGreenKnight_Game_4449gray.jpg

Here's a quick look at the movie's teaser trailer.

I would get this, but worry this is just a step up from the Wendy's RPG, and I that my money would be better spent supporting something like Chaosium's Pendragon.
I read through it, and it has some neat ideas related to honor, but it seems like more of a high-concept one-shot than something you'd play more than once. Plus it has the Green Knight in it and stuff that feels like echoes of what happens in the movie, so it's hard to not see it as just slick marketing, or like the RPG equivalent of those songs that would run during a movie's credits, rehashing everything you just saw.

Last thing, the person who wrote the game isn't, as far as I can tell, an experienced designer. His main claim to fame is as a professional DM who was written up by Wired.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
It speaks of Moves on the sheets. The language is that of the PBTA/AWE design trends. I very strongly doubt it will play OSR-ish.
I don't think it'd be too hard to swap in D&D NPCs and monsters for the ones in the adventure. The beats of a mythic fantasy adventure are largely system-independent and rely more on Campbell than Gygax.

pemerton

Legend
It speaks of Moves on the sheets. The language is that of the PBTA/AWE design trends. I very strongly doubt it will play OSR-ish.
Having watched the review, it sounds like it's close to Wuthering Heights: roll above Dishonour to do honourable things, roll below it to do dishonourable things. (Wuthering Heights uses a similar high/low system based around Rage and Age/Decrepitude as its stats.)

The review made it seem pretty cool! And as you say, not at all OSR-ish.

Remove ads

Remove ads