3PP Release Upcoming Release: Deeper Magic from the Forgotten Vault

Timespike

A5E Designer and third-party publisher
This one is a ways further off than PMG releases usually are when I start talking about them, but I figured it'd be fun to pull back the curtain on one of the larger things we're working on.

Deeper Magic from the Forgotten Vault is going to be a sequel to Spells from the Forgotten Vault, focused on magic just like the first release was. But while that first release was entirely focused on the spells themselves, as you'll see below, this is a much more expansive release.

Also important to note: we're in the extremely early days on this, so it is subject to change. But as of right now, this is what's planned:

• The Forgotten Vault as a setting element with two versions available and notes for combining elements of each.
  • 5+ new motif classes. People have been asking when we'd release more of them, and my answer has always been "when I find a good place to put them." Well, a good place has been found!
  • Tarot spells - these special rare spells do not have non-rare versions and can be learned by any class. They also can be reversed. There will be a spell for all 78 major and minor arcana.
  • Incantations - these are basically rituals that can be cast by non-spellcasters, and will likely come with rules for group spellcasting. There will probably be around a half-dozen of these with some variation within them.
  • 10th-level spells available to single-classed primary spellcasters of level 19 and 20. These will require work to learn and prepare, and don't expect your 10th-level spell slot to just come back on a long rest, either. But if you do manage to learn, prepare, and cast one, the impact will be dramatic.
  • A bunch of "normal" spells including themes such as dream/nightmare logic, chess, the seven deadly sins and corresponding seven heavenly virtues and more!
  • Multiclass spells for the savant, scholar, and esper classes.
  • Multiclass spells for characters with multiple spellcasting classes.
  • New "wielded foci" magic items that take up a hand like a weapon or shield but expand your spell list while you're using them.
I should also note: this is basically just the scope statement at this point, so I don't have a lot of specifics I can share for how various things work yet because we haven't started work on them!

A note on formatting: The original Spells from the Forgotten Vault is one of the things I most get asked about a print version of. Because it wasn't designed with printing in mind, that's not likely to ever happen.

However, the plan for this release is to do concurrent product releases; the first will be Deeper Magic from the Forgotten Vault and it will be just the new material and will only be available in PDF. If you're a PDF customer and only want the new material, that will be your best bet. The second will be a combined volume that rolls the original Spells from the Forgotten Vault and Deeper Magic from the Forgotten Vault into a single, combined volume (title TBD) with everything in it, and that will be available in both print and PDF.

Release info: I'm hoping to have this out before the end of 2024, but given the scope, it may wind up being a 2025 release. The new material will probably wind up being around 2-3 times the size of the original Spells from the Forgotten Vault.

Pedantic

Legend
This is excellent news! I'm honestly always so excited to hear about your new work, and SftFV is perhaps my favorite book you've produced. I use it regularly.

Last edited:

Rebel Mage

Villager
I'm especially looking forward to the tarot spells, which will be great for an NPC in an upcoming campaign... Now if only we had Tarokka spells to really suit my beloved Ravenloft theme.

Timespike

A5E Designer and third-party publisher
I'm especially looking forward to the tarot spells, which will be great for an NPC in an upcoming campaign... Now if only we had Tarokka spells to really suit my beloved Ravenloft theme.
For Tarokka spells, you'll need to talk to WotC. That's their IP. ;)

Distracted DM

Distracted DM
Supporter
For Tarokka spells, you'll need to talk to WotC. That's their IP. ;)
Or uhh... Pathfinder has a version too. Harrow deck? I think?

Or just make them on your own and post them with no intention of profit.
Just to make sure no one gets the wrong idea, having no intention to profit isn't surefire protection against IP enforcement.
But in practice.. always depends on how litigious the IP holders are :D

Remove ads