D&D 5E Update! Goodman Games Announces Dark Tower for 5E and DCC

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Mod Note:
@darjr - There is no way in which that was appropriate. I see you've changed it, but it should never have been typed into a reply, and you know it.

@Rogerd1 - technically, not ad hominem. It was, however a personal insult. We ask that, when faced with such, you report them to the moderators, rather than engaging with them in the thread.

Rogerd1

Adventurer
Mod Note:
@darjr - There is no way in which that was appropriate. I see you've changed it, but it should never have been typed into a reply, and you know it.

@Rogerd1 - technically, not ad hominem. It was, however a personal insult. We ask that, when faced with such, you report them to the moderators, rather than engaging with them in the thread.
I was about to, but when i refreshed the page all his posts vanished so I am guessing he put me on ignore or something?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I was about to, but when i refreshed the page all his posts vanished so I am guessing he put me on ignore or something?

If you have a comment you want to make on moderation, we ask that you take that to private message. We aren't going to discuss it in the middle of a thread.

Yora

Legend
I got the original Dark Tower a couple of years ago, and being a venerable module from the 70s, these things are not easy to read and digest. I managed to slowly grind down Caverns of Thracia to get a good understanding of that dungeon and what's going on there, but Dark Tower still eludes me.
Does anyone know of a decent overview and summary of the module? I always find it much easier to comprehend a module once I have a general understanding of the whole thing, but for Dark Tower I've never been able to find any such a thing.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
I got the original Dark Tower a couple of years ago, and being a venerable module from the 70s, these things are not easy to read and digest. I managed to slowly grind down Caverns of Thracia to get a good understanding of that dungeon and what's going on there, but Dark Tower still eludes me.
Does anyone know of a decent overview and summary of the module? I always find it much easier to comprehend a module once I have a general understanding of the whole thing, but for Dark Tower I've never been able to find any such a thing.
Didn't The Alexandrian do some writing on it? I remember Justin did some detailed work on the level connections, at least.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I've admired Jennell Jaquays designs since before I knew who she was. I was so sad when they were no longer available. But now the Dark Tower is and hopefully more will be!

From Goodman Games

We here at Goodman Games love bringing the classic adventures of tabletop’s formative era to the contemporary RPGers of today. In fact, we’ve just recently announced our latest classic conversion project at Gary Con, during the “What’s New With Goodman Games” seminar, but we couldn’t wait to share a little bit more with you.
The new edition will feature new cover art by Sanjulian.

View attachment 134754
So step back in time with us to 1980 and have a crawl through the only non-TSR module to ever make Dungeon Magazine’s cut as one of ‘the greatest D&D modules of all time:’ Dark Tower. Goodman Games has acquired Dark Tower from the Judges’ Guild, and will republish it in fully converted 5E and DCC RPG editions later this year. Director of Product Development Chris Doyle will lead the conversion to 5E, and original Dark Tower creator Jennell Jaquays will be included in design work on the new edition.

Update: the Kickstarter sign up is live! From Jennell Jaquays
Goodman Games is adapting my 1979 AD&D adventure Dark Tower for both D&D 5e and their own DCC rules. Backers in the first 48 hrs get an original print I created for this campaign. BUT... The first 100 backers will get a signed version of the print.

So make sure you sign up!

View attachment 156372
Every time.

Every time I see news about this I think for a moment that a Dark Tower series game or conversion is being announced, and get my hopes riled up.

Yora

Legend
I think it was part of his Jaquaying the dungeon series.
It's just a table which stairs connect to which stairs on another floor. Which the maps don't indicate and the text often doesn't mention.
I'm still trying to figure out where the cave entrance of the dungeon is.

This thing isn't just multiple dungeon levels stacked on each other, it's an atual 3D maze. Level 1 has six connection to the village, four connections to level 2, one connection to level 3, one connection each to section A, C, and E, and two connections to section L.
I don't think I want to try running this, or even playing this.

And I still have no clue what's going on inside of the dungeon.

Remove ads