D&D 5E Update: pdf links are being sent! Lankhmar 5e, Monsters & Magic of Lankhmar from Goodman Games indogogo is live

Dire Bare

Legend
I just pledged for a digital copy . . . WARNING . . . Indiegogo seems to be defaulting to adding a "tip" to Indiegogo on top of your pledge. I was able to change my "tip" to $0.00, but the default options ranged from $1-3. That was irritating.

Voadam

Legend
Oh man, I missed this entirely.

I have most of the 1e and 2e Lankhmar materials, the DCC PDFs, and I recently picked up some Savage World sourcebooks in the SW sale a little bit ago.

A lot of fun novels in the Lankhmar series and I believe Lieber coined the phrase Swords and Sorcery to define what he was writing.

Voadam

Legend
Given that Lankhmar is the template for all big sprawling corrupt fantasy cities (Goodman is underselling it, honestly; everyone has just been ripping off Lankhmar forever), I'm intending to use this with my Ptolus game, just sanding off the names.
I believe Greyhawk is a D&D version of the fantasy novel Lankhmar with a Midwest Chicago sensibility the way Lankhmar was a fantasy sword and sorcery version of New York.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I believe Greyhawk is a D&D version of the fantasy novel Lankhmar with a Midwest Chicago sensibility the way Lankhmar was a fantasy sword and sorcery version of New York.
This is why everyone in Greyhawk won't shut the hell up about their beef sandwiches and insisting they have pizza in more than just one way.

But I agree, and I think we see a lot more of these analogues around. It took me way too long of running a Ptolus campaign (more than 15 years) to realize "oh, this is Lankhmar overlayed with Seattle and Catholicism." I've used both the endless, nameless slums and neighborhood of thousands of temples in Ptolus recently, both of which are straight out of Lankhmar.

Voadam

Legend
Lankhmar - Metropolitan fantasy city on the East Coast with a lot of organized crime.

Greyhawk - Metropolitan fantasy city on a giant lake in the middle of the continent map, with a lot of organized crime.

Ptolus I am not familiar enough with Seattle to say much of how much it maps with any Seattle touchstones (I don't really see a lot of coffee shops, the Pike Place market, etc. type of references) Ptolus seems a bit Monte's Greyhawk (metropolitan fantasy city on a big lake in the middle of the continent map). But given the empire set up it could be a bit western edge of the empire.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Ptolus I am not familiar enough with Seattle to say much of how much it maps with any Seattle touchstones (I don't really see a lot of coffee shops, the Pike Place market, etc. type of references) Ptolus seems a bit Monte's Greyhawk (metropolitan fantasy city on a big lake in the middle of the continent map). But given the empire set up it could be a bit western edge of the empire.
Non-stop rain and a giant iconic spire are the Seattle tells.

And yes, it's almost, but not quite, the western edge of the Tarsisian Empire. (You've got Trolone to the northwest, but they're three-quarters out of the empire now, with the restoration of the monarchy, etc.)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases