Update: The Union was Recognized! Noble Knight Games employees Unionize.

When talking about the US and Unions, you also have to remember there is not a blanket federal law, like in other countries. Each state has it's own laws for Unions. So while a company like Kroger, and subsidiaries, are nationwide, and the Union is represented in all locations, support and enforcement vary by state.

MGibster

Legend
If the company is refusing to recognize the union, well, that's not a good sign.
This is fairly typical when the union didn't go through the National Labor Relations Board. Noble Knights can certainly recognize the union at this point, but most company's will require them to go through the NLRBs voting process before they'll recognize it.

When talking about the US and Unions, you also have to remember there is not a blanket federal law, like in other countries. Each state has it's own laws for Unions. So while a company like Kroger, and subsidiaries, are nationwide, and the Union is represented in all locations, support and enforcement vary by state.
That's partially true. While states may have their own employment laws regarding unions, the federal government also has laws that each state must obey. The National Labor Relations Act of 1935 and the Labor-Management Reporting Disclosure Act of 1959 are two such laws.

This is fairly typical when the union didn't go through the National Labor Relations Board. Noble Knights can certainly recognize the union at this point, but most company's will require them to go through the NLRBs voting process before they'll recognize it.

That's possible. Maybe it will just take a little more time. But the ICv2 article makes it sound like they have filed properly with the NLRB. And the association with the CWA lends further credence that their paperwork is in order. I am not an expert on how the legalities work, but even if you're right it still sounds like NKG is using a delay tactic rather than addressing worker's concerns.

Last edited:

MGibster

Legend
That's possible. Maybe it will just take a little more time. But the ICv2 article makes it sound like they have filed properly with the NLRB. And the association with the CWA lends further credence that their paperwork is in order. I am not an expert on how the legalities work, but even if your right it still sounds like NKG is using a delay tactic rather than addressing worker's concerns.
It's likely that management wants the formal vote to fail and they might even take this opportunity to try to convince workers not to join the union. Some unethical managers take this time to fire union organizers for contrived reasons, I'm not arguing that's what Noble Knight's will do, but it's one of the reasons many people aren't happy about their decision not to recognize the union at this stage.

That's partially true. While states may have their own employment laws regarding unions, the federal government also has laws that each state must obey. The National Labor Relations Act of 1935 and the Labor-Management Reporting Disclosure Act of 1959 are two such laws.

I live in a state that is "Right to Work" and has "At Will" labor laws, so no notice or reason needed to fire someone, as long as those few federal laws are not violated, and can't be forced to join a Union to practice certain professions or trades. So employees in jobs that do have Union representation can either join it or tell them to F off and not have it affect their job.

MGibster

Legend
I live in a state that is "Right to Work" and has "At Will" labor laws, so no notice or reason needed to fire someone, as long as those few federal laws are not violated, and can't be forced to join a Union to practice certain professions or trades. So employees in jobs that do have Union representation can either join it or tell them to F off and not have it affect their job.
There are 28 right-to-work states and and most states have at-will employment. In a right-to-work state, employees cannot be compelled to join or pay dues to a union, but they still receive the benefits of any collective bargaining. i.e. Whatever employment deal the union negotiates for applies to non-union members as well. So the union bargaining does affect their jobs.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases