Update: The Union was Recognized! Noble Knight Games employees Unionize.

Lazvon

Adventurer
Sooooo… I need more data to figure how supportive I am of the unionization…

Is there evidence of extreme profit margins? Does the owner(s) drive new $120k+ cars, changing pretty often? Massive $2m+ house? Have crazy mahogany office setup?

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas

Is there evidence of extreme profit margins? Does the owner(s) drive new $120k+ cars, changing pretty often? Massive $2m+ house? Have crazy mahogany office setup?
Profit margins is probably the key question (though it's up to the workers and not either of us, of course). I can definitely see wanting Bezos to cough up a few of Amazon's billions, but it's possible Noble Knight might just go under.

You can try to support worker-owned cooperatives (Mondragon in Spain comes to mind), but I don't know if that exists in the gaming industry, which after all has a nonessential product and usually thin margins.

Lazvon

Adventurer
the gaming industry, which after all has a nonessential product and usually thin margins.

Exactly my thoughts. I can’t work in my hobby and live the lifestyle I desire - so I don’t.

I am thankful folks sacrifice for this hobby - but I have to assume a large chunk of working in this hobby industry do so for the satisfaction that comes with it. Much the same as many “starving artists”…

Again, I might be very supportive of NKG becoming unionized if there is clearly a profit margin there to support higher wages, working conditions, and better benefits. If there isn’t, then my view is - hey, at least you get paid (however little) to work in an industry that I hope you find fulfilling in other ways. Generally, could the workers cut back to 20-hours a week, taking (I assume) product discounts, getting “dibs” on new (or “used” as NKG) shipments… and then finding a union job at your manufacturing industry, or a non-union food/retail/service industry for 40-hours for your primeJob.

Again, if lots of profit (that I have trouble imagining)… absolutely unionize to get a fair wage for 40-hours, overtime above that, healthcare, 401k access, whatever you are seeking…

However, know depending on how profit motivated the owner(s) are, that might lower their profits enough to make them give up and liquidate and find their next profit maker… and then… you’ll be looking for a new job… not in your passion industry.

No idea right answers on this one.

MGibster

Legend

There are considerations other than profit margins and even employee pay that a union might address. A union might negotiate for benefits (medical, dental, vision, etc., etc.), better working conditions, stable work schedules, and job security.
You can try to support worker-owned cooperatives (Mondragon in Spain comes to mind), but I don't know if that exists in the gaming industry, which after all has a nonessential product and usually thin margins.
If a company can only stay in business by paying their employees less than a living wage, maybe they shouldn't be in business. After all, those company's are actually a drain on society because social services often have to step in to assist the employees.

I am thankful folks sacrifice for this hobby - but I have to assume a large chunk of working in this hobby industry do so for the satisfaction that comes with it. Much the same as many “starving artists”…
This reminds me of the joke about the circus employee complaining about having to clean the animals' cages. He friend turns to him and asks why he doesn't quit and he replies, "What, and give up show business?" In this particular case, we're talking about employees of a retail store/warehouse. I'm not sure those folks are in it for the satisfaction of working in the gaming industry.

Generally, could the workers cut back to 20-hours a week, taking (I assume) product discounts, getting “dibs” on new (or “used” as NKG) shipments… and then finding a union job at your manufacturing industry, or a non-union food/retail/service industry for 40-hours for your primeJob.
Cutting people down to 20 hours a week means they won't qualify for benefits. Under the Affordable Care Act, it means their employer doesn't have to offer them any medical benefits. Product discounts and getting "dibs" on shipments doesn't put food on the table to feed their children. People shouldn't have to hold down multiple jobs just to make ends meet.

Again, if lots of profit (that I have trouble imagining)… absolutely unionize to get a fair wage for 40-hours, overtime above that, healthcare, 401k access, whatever you are seeking…
The Fair Labor and Standards Act is a federal law that requires employers to pay their hourly employees overtime when they work more than 40 hours a week. The union could negotiate a higher overtime rate, but generally speaking they don't need to because overtime is enshrined in law.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
There are considerations other than profit margins and even employee pay that a union might address. A union might negotiate for benefits (medical, dental, vision, etc., etc.), better working conditions, stable work schedules, and job security.

This is incredibly important.

A union does not negotiate over wages, or even wages and benefits, but over the terms and conditions of employment. Things that people might take for granted if they are in a white collar or professional job ... not so much in other industries.

Bathroom breaks? That's an issue. Or you might be familiar with the recent rail issue we had ... most of the coverage was about the possible supply chain disruption. But the union wasn't interested in higher wages- the reason for the action was because ... and this might shock you ... because the workers in question were required to be "on call" 90% of the time. They had no sick days (either paid or unpaid). They could not take time off for funerals (!!!) that were not ... planned well in advance (!!!????!!!!!!).

These things matter to people. I hope that the workers at Noble Knight Games succeed given that they have expressed their preference, and if the employer chooses to use union-busting tactics against the union as opposed to allowing a fair vote to happen ... I will make sure to never allow a dollar of my money go to anything sold by them.

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
I emailed them and let them know that as somebody who has spent thousands upon thousands of dollars with them with my account there that I would not be shopping there anymore until their workers unionize. And that was before they hired union busters. Now I'm of a mind to never shop there again. Disgusting.

You have nothing to lose but your chains

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases