[UPDATED AGAIN!] CURSE OF STRAHD Will Be Available March 15th

The new Dungeons & Dragons storyline will be called Curse of Strahd. I'm hearing that Tracy and Laura Hickman, who wrote the original 1983 Ravenloft adventure, have some involvement, and it will be set in Castle Ravenloft. The PCs will be sent to Strahd's realm by Madam Eva (using a tarokka deck). While the Ravenloft name is being used, I don't know if it's actually set in a demiplane or if it's set in the Forgotten Realms, but the land of Barovia certainly exists. More if I hear it!

2400188-strahd.jpg

Ravenloft was originally an adventure in 1983, and later became an entire campaign setting set in a pocket dimension called the Demiplane of Dread. The original adventure, for AD&D 1st Edition, has Strahd von Zarovich, master vampire, as its main villain. The land of Barovia is surrounded by a magical fog, and Strahd rules the domain. The adventure featured an interesting card-based random generation process which determined the locations of items, NPCs, and Strahd's motivation, making the adventure replayable. Strahd was an intelligent villain who loomed over the entire adventure, taunting the PCs throughout. Strahd is probably one of the most well-known D&D characters, after Drizzt and Elminster, and possible some Dragonlance characters.

I don't know how much of that old adventure matches the new storyline. I hear that Strahd's love story is at least cited, if not part of the adventure, and that it is shorter in scope than the previous adventure paths. WotC has sent some preview images to various outlets, as I reported yesterday, and the announcement is coming on Monday.

Personally? I am really excited about this. I can't wait to run it! Out of the storylines so far (and I really liked the Underdark whimsy), this one probably hits me right in the sweet spot. I was hoping for this.

The book is on Amazon already, albeit with no cover image, and is available for pre-order. 224 pages, $49.95, March 15th , 2016. With these 'placeholder' Amazon pages details sometimes change; but here's the product description:

Unravel the mysteries of Ravenloft® in this dread adventure for the world’s greatest roleplaying game

Under raging storm clouds, the vampire Count Strahd von Zarovich stands silhouetted against the ancient walls of Castle Ravenloft. Rumbling thunder pounds the castle spires. The wind’s howling increases as he turns his gaze down toward the village of Barovia. Far below, yet not beyond his keen eyesight, a party of adventurers has just entered his domain. Strahd’s face forms the barest hint of a smile as his dark plan unfolds. He knew they were coming, and he knows why they came — all according to his plan. A lightning flash rips through the darkness, but Strahd is gone. Only the howling of the wind fills the midnight air. The master of Castle Ravenloft is having guests for dinner. And you are invited.

Some more snippets of info:
  • There's going to be a twitter campaign hashtag thing called #DNDFortune during the lead up to the adventure. You can get a 'reading' each day from Madam Eva using her tarokka deck.
  • The tarokka deck will be produced by Gale Force 9 and should be available when the adventure releases. It can be used to randomise locations in the adventure.
  • The adventurers are trapped (I assume in Barovia by the mists, but maybe in the castle itself; not sure).
  • Mike Schley has strongly hinted that he worked on maps for the adventure, as he did for the previous 5E adventures.

Last edited by a moderator:

pkt77242

Explorer
So when WotC has done this before... they took them down and the book never came out.. and yet ENWorld linked that and rumor was abounding about that book. (The Adventurers Guide) So... Yea I guess... WotC never messes with people like that. Or they are completely perfect.

That was on a third party website wasn't it? If so that is a big difference from having it on their own website.

It will be interesting to see the tie ins too. Strahd already has his board game, which is good fun. I'm enjoying the campaign in the ToEE with my kids. Maybe we won't get a board game to go with this one.

Hopefully this adventure matches up to the original modules greatness! Not long if it's mid-March

JoeCrow

Explorer
If you go to http://dnd.wizards.com/search/site/strahd

you get a couple of semi-phantom page refs. The links don't work right, but the previews say

RETURN TO RAVENLOFT
ARTICLE - 01/14/2016
News Today, Wizards of the Coast announced Curse of Strahd, a new Dungeons & Dragons adventure ... and Laura Hickman, the authors of the original Ravenloft adventure published in 1983, Curse of Strahd pits ... players against the vampire Strahd von Zarovich. Curse of Strahd will be available to everyone on March ...

Looks like somebody didn't delete all the stuff when they changed their minds about when it got announced.

Ehrandil

First Post
Blah. I'd be looking forward to this if I had finished Rage of Demons already. Or felt I would be close to finishing it by mid-March.

Nikmal

First Post
Just saying that the Adventurers Guide WAS announced here and linked to WotC's site.. and yes it was a header like the ones cited here. So... (This is my last post... just saying that it is still a rumor and I would wait until Monday before someone gets their hopes up too high). It would be cool.. but would rather wait for it to see if it is going to be.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bera

Explorer
RETURN TO RAVENLOFT
ARTICLE - 01/14/2016
are based on which random card she draws from her tarokka deck and displays for each reading. Check back ... of the adventure. The tarokka deck is a powerful tool for both Madam Eva and for Dungeon Masters running Curse ... of Strahd. By using the tarokka deck to randomize locations within the adventure, Dungeon Masters can ...

Dare we hope it comes with a tarokka deck? Boxed set or some sort of licensed item?

kalani

First Post
I would take this rumor as a grain of salt until WotC or the D&D Adventurers League confirms it, especially in light of the anger people had when the Adventurers Guide never happened.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases