• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[UPDATED AGAIN!] PRINCES OF THE APOCALYPSE - First Review!

The first comments on Princes of the Apcalypse are in. Fildrigar is the first to rate and comment on the adventure in EN World's ratings system, and gives it a score of 5/5. The adventure doesn't technically hit the shelves until April 7th (or March 27th - next Friday - in preferred stores), so I'm not sure how Fildrigar got hold of one, but there it is!

The first comments on Princes of the Apcalypse are in. Fildrigar is the first to rate and comment on the adventure in EN World's ratings system, and gives it a score of 5/5. The adventure doesn't technically hit the shelves until April 7th (or March 27th - next Friday - in preferred stores), so I'm not sure how Fildrigar got hold of one, but there it is!

[UPDATE -- the author has deleted his review.]

UPDATE 2 -- he has kindly reposted it!

Click on the image below, read the comment, and as soon as you get your copy be sure to rate and comment on it yourself!

image.jpg

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
I'm also saying if WotC wants to compete with Paizo, they need to make sure their adventures are as good as Paizo's. I'm not getting my socks blown off by this next offering. Can you give some examples of why it's "completely different" and great?

That is the most disconcerting part of WotC's plan for 5e. They decided to put all their eggs in the AP basket. A type of product they never mastered and have a poor repution with adventures. Their main rival pretty much wrote the book on APs and is at the top of its game. WotC needs to out perform Paizo to impress everyone.

If only WotC also bet on one of D&D's strenghts as a back up. Um... What are D&D's strenghts nowadays that can be profitable? Campaign settings? Simple rules? Doesn't that mean more splat or rule variants?

delericho

Legend
If only WotC also bet on one of D&D's strenghts as a back up. Um... What are D&D's strenghts nowadays that can be profitable?

They could have stuck with the DDI. ~40k subscribers at $6 a month isn't bad - probably more than either the CS or the supplement treadmill, at least.

ssvegeta555

Explorer
A bit wary of a 5 Star right out of the gate as the review did not really have listed a "5 star MUST HAVE IT" info, some problems do seem to exist but if it that much better/fixed than HotD and RoT then I'll be happy.

Pre ordered some time ago so I'll find out Friday, but this one kind of makes or breaks me with trusting them to do Hard Cover campaigns I will spend cash on.

Is there a way to do a 4.5 star system in the future, for me 5 Stars indicates no problems what so ever and a must have feel to it.

Very curious how he got it a week early, did a store sell it to him early, but good to have some feedback on it and curious to see what the boardgame will work out as to.

Tom

Yeah, I'm skeptical of the review myself. It was very vague and didn't really give me a clear picture of what it is and why it deserves the 5 star rating. I want a chapter breakdown, story points, what's unique, cool and interesting that stands out, what are the mechanics, so on and so forth. I want details, not a simple summary. I mean, if you're going to be the first review up, take advantage of that, go hog wild! Like you, I'm a bit wary of this review as well.

But from the sounds of it, this seems to be leagues better than the **** that was HotD (I didn't bother getting the second half of that adventure. I dropped the campaign and did my own thing). So that's a good sign.

delericho

Legend
Yeah, I'm skeptical of the review myself. It was very vague and didn't really give me a clear picture of what it is and why it deserves the 5 star rating.

I'm not sure how relevant it is, but Fildrigar has done 7 reviews, all of which are 5-stars.

More generally, I've found that a single review from someone I don't know is largely useless - tastes are so subjective that what he likes I might hate, and vice versa. I've found two strategies can work: either wait for there to be a lot of reviews and then look at a sample, or find a reviewer I generally agree with and see what that person says. Neither of which really applies here, sadly.

I want a chapter breakdown, story points, what's unique, cool and interesting that stands out, what are the mechanics, so on and so forth. I want details, not a simple summary.

Presumably Neuroglyph will have a review coming soon that will provide these things. That's one I'm waiting for! (That said, I've put Neuroglyph on probation after his reviews of HotDQ and RoT. It's fair to say I didn't entirely agree.)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'm not sure how relevant it is, but Fildrigar has done 7 reviews, all of which are 5-stars.

Some folks prefer to review (or recommend) stuff they like. Unless they're a professional reviewer, spending time reading and writing about stuff they don't like it probably not high on their list of priorities. :)

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
They could have stuck with the DDI. ~40k subscribers at $6 a month isn't bad - probably more than either the CS or the supplement treadmill, at least.

I have doubts about those (speculated) number of subscribers. That would mean revenues of 2,880,000 dollars a year. In an industry that generates 15 million dollars of revenue a year, DDI would be almost one fifth of the industry. It is something I would support and develop, heck, I would make it a priority.

Fildrigar

Explorer
Some folks prefer to review (or recommend) stuff they like. Unless they're a professional reviewer, spending time reading and writing about stuff they don't like it probably not high on their list of priorities. :)

Yep. If I don't like something ( HotDQ ) I'm just not going to review it. I'm not a professional reviewer, just someone who loves games. And this module blew me away. I quickly shelved the plans I had for my campaign, and pushed the party towards the Sumber Hills. My review is deliberately a little vague, because the book isn't out yet, and I don't want to get anyone in trouble. ( I shouldn't have it yet, not until Friday. ) I will try to expand it more this week.

And I wish there was a way to rate with half stars, because I would have rated several of the things I've reviewed 4.5. ( Including this one.)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads