• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[UPDATED AGAIN!] PRINCES OF THE APOCALYPSE - First Review!

The first comments on Princes of the Apcalypse are in. Fildrigar is the first to rate and comment on the adventure in EN World's ratings system, and gives it a score of 5/5. The adventure doesn't technically hit the shelves until April 7th (or March 27th - next Friday - in preferred stores), so I'm not sure how Fildrigar got hold of one, but there it is!

The first comments on Princes of the Apcalypse are in. Fildrigar is the first to rate and comment on the adventure in EN World's ratings system, and gives it a score of 5/5. The adventure doesn't technically hit the shelves until April 7th (or March 27th - next Friday - in preferred stores), so I'm not sure how Fildrigar got hold of one, but there it is!

[UPDATE -- the author has deleted his review.]

UPDATE 2 -- he has kindly reposted it!

Click on the image below, read the comment, and as soon as you get your copy be sure to rate and comment on it yourself!

image.jpg

TRDG

Explorer
A bit wary of a 5 Star right out of the gate as the review did not really have listed a "5 star MUST HAVE IT" info, some problems do seem to exist but if it that much better/fixed than HotD and RoT then I'll be happy.

Pre ordered some time ago so I'll find out Friday, but this one kind of makes or breaks me with trusting them to do Hard Cover campaigns I will spend cash on.

Is there a way to do a 4.5 star system in the future, for me 5 Stars indicates no problems what so ever and a must have feel to it.

Very curious how he got it a week early, did a store sell it to him early, but good to have some feedback on it and curious to see what the boardgame will work out as to.

Tom

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Does that "unearth the deception" tagline they are using have anything to do with anything in the adventure?

Yep. Absolutely. Lots of cultists pretending to be something else.

They're very, very different cultists than those in Tyranny of Dragons, who weren't hidden very much at all!

Cheers!

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Sounds too much like the previous module for my tastes with elemental powers substituted for dragons. I'd still much rather have AP style adventures with the same amount of work put in that Paizo puts into APs. I miss APs a great deal. New monsters, world information, and a cool adventure every month was worth my gaming dollar. This once every six months or a year mega-adventure doesn't seem very interesting.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Sounds too much like the previous module for my tastes with elemental powers substituted for dragons. I'd still much rather have AP style adventures with the same amount of work put in that Paizo puts into APs. I miss APs a great deal. New monsters, world information, and a cool adventure every month was worth my gaming dollar. This once every six months or a year mega-adventure doesn't seem very interesting.

The two Tyranny of Dragons adventures are incredibly different from Princes of the Apocalypse. From the top level - "stop X from summoning Y" - they seem really similar, but once you look at the adventures, the stories and structures are completely different.

Cheers!

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
The two Tyranny of Dragons adventures are incredibly different from Princes of the Apocalypse. From the top level - "stop X from summoning Y" - they seem really similar, but once you look at the adventures, the stories and structures are completely different.

Cheers!

What exactly does "completely different" mean? The end enemies aren't dragons? I'm going into nodes instead of dragon lairs? Can you give some examples? From the review, I'm not seeing a huge difference. Cultists again? Why cultists again? I spent the last two modules fighting cultists. Why can't they do something like Rise of the Runelords or Kingmaker? You ever read or play Rise of the Runelords? That was an amazing AP from start to finish. Kingmaker was something "completely different" from everything else Paizo was doing.

If you compare Kingmaker to Tyranny of Dragons, you will find those two adventures are as different as night and day. How much different is Princes of the Apocalypse compared to the difference between Kingmaker and Tyranny of Dragons? The synopsis doesn't sound very different. If you didn't play Kingmaker, boy, did you miss out. Kingmaker easily equaled or beat the best D&D adventures of all time.

I'm also saying if WotC wants to compete with Paizo, they need to make sure their adventures are as good as Paizo's. I'm not getting my socks blown off by this next offering. Can you give some examples of why it's "completely different" and great?

delericho

Legend
I know every one had a different price point they are willing to pay. The pathfinder AP monthly books are 96 pages at 22.99 a piece. If this book is 256 pages and a hard back at $49.99, that's actually a better deal than 2 monthly APs from Paizo (45.98 for 192 pages and not a hardcover). I've had my copy pre-ordered for a while now and look forward to it's arrival.

Of course, if price is really an issue...

Pathfinder APs are best purchased on subscription (where you can, technically, subscribe for one month if you want), to get a 30% discount and a free PDF. So, a shade under $16 per volume.

Or Princes of the Apocalypse can be had from Amazon for $32.69. (But not in the UK. We get to pay full price. :( )

Remove ads

Remove ads