[UPDATED] Out of the Abyss Reviews Have Started Rolling In

I just found one of the first reviews of Out of the Abyss. I thought it could be nice to keep all links to reviews in one thread, so here is the first I found: http://diehardgamefan.com/2015/09/04/tabletop-review-rage-of-demons-out-of-the-abyss-dungeons-dragons-fifth-editiondd-5e/ The previews have been okay, but this review is what has me stoked. This kind of adventure is right up my...

CapnZapp

Legend
Also did a quick review of the first 4 levels on my personal blog :) Add to OP if you don't mind!

dndtroop (dot) com/out-of-the-abyss-review/

"While we won’t tell new DMs to play the Lost Mines of Phandelver first"...

..."For a brand new DM though, we’d suggest getting your bearings in the starter set adventure “Lost Mines of Phandelver” before tackling this one."

Good call! ;)

TheObserver

Explorer
I agree, I got the adventure this last Friday and I'm making preparations to run it. It would be nice if it came with pre-printed maps and handouts or at the very least a free download on the WOTC site but I though the whole point of putting out something like this would be to make the DM's life a little easier, especially for those of us that run the game and are busy professionals as well.

Von Ether

Legend
Hmmmm. Savage Worlds' main products are in this format, but those aren't known for being disorganized. I wonder what the differences are that trip WotC up.

TroyBentonGames

First Post
One of the big negatives with the 256-page tome style of book is that the monsters are always conveniently located in the back of the book. So when you run a combat, you often have to save your previous spot and turn to the back of the hardcover, use the monster, and then flip back to your original spot. Literally the only space-saving thing they do (aside from, in the case of OOtA, repeatedly referring the reader to the DMG rules for poison) is to not have any stat blocks in the middle of the text. It's really a shame that 5e's monster format doesn't allow for a "quick view" so that we could have nice, compact monster listings along with the running text.

At the prices we're paying, if boxed sets could be done for $10 or even $20 more, I'd gladly pay it. For instance, with OOtA, I'd picture four booklets. You have one called "Into Darkness" covering chapters 1-7, and one called "Against the Demon Lords" covering chapters 8-17. Both could be sturdy perfect-bound softcovers. Then you'd have a big poster map of the Underdark hex map on page 19, and a separate booklet with all the other maps in the adventure. Then, one more booklet, this one saddle-stitched, with all of the appendices. You could even have cardstock sheets with all of the NPC stat blocks that get distributed to the players in chapter 8. WotC seemed willing to play with boxed sets in the 4e era, but has since retreated, which is a shame. An adventure this big deserves one.

Going back to old school boxed sets for a bit higher cost?
I like your style.

Sacrosanct

Legend
I don't think you even need a boxed set. Just go back to the module days of AD&D. You had a separate map and hand outs from the adventure booklet. Being able to have those is a huge benefit.

Nemio

First Post
TL:DR so apologies if already covered, but what are people's thoughts on running OoTA with existing PCs, that are starting at, say, level 6-7? Doable?

***spoilers***

In a recent interview Chris Perkins said that characters start captured and should get to the surface around lvl 7.
At that time they are recruited by King Bruenor Battlehammer to return to the Underdark and investigate the madness that is spreading.

Sound perfect for you in other words :)

GobiWon

Explorer
I get that they want people to buy the books. I wonder how hard it would be to set up a web site and provide the handouts based on a random product key. Prove that you have the book ... what is the second word on page 97? ... what drow npc is named on page 247? ... etc.

I get that they want people to buy the books. I wonder how hard it would be to set up a web site and provide the handouts based on a random product key. Prove that you have the book ... what is the second word on page 97? ... what drow npc is named on page 247? ... etc.

The problem is that artists are trying to SELL the maps. WOTC distributing free copies undermines that. All that tells me is that the artists aren't getting paid enough for their work if they have to sell the same pieces to the same customers twice.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
If only there was a digital tool that allowed you to quickly pull up the relevant stats for the NPC you encountered or pull up a map when you need it instead of flipping back and forth between pages... hmmm....

If only we could drag anything we wanted from the adventure down to a convenient hotkey bar of shortcuts. Oh wait... there is. The Fantasy Grounds version will be releasing on the 15th along with the print versions. :D

We're doing in-thread advertising now?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads