[Updated] Who's Playing What On Fantasy Grounds? Final Stats For 2016!

I've just received the latest usage statistics from the good folks over at the Fantasy Grounds virtual tabletop showing which game systems are being played on their system. The last set of stats from Fantasy Grounds were back in January, covering up to Q4 2106. This latest set runs through June 2017. So, what's changed? Not a lot as it happens. D&D 5E's share has increased from 58% to 62%, Pathfinder has drooped to 11%, Savage Worlds has increased to 7%, and D&D 3.5 has dropped from 6% to 4%, leaving Other Games to drop from 17% to 16%.

I've just received the latest usage statistics from the good folks over at the Fantasy Grounds virtual tabletop showing which game systems are being played on their system. The last set of stats from Fantasy Grounds were back in January, covering up to Q4 2106. This latest set runs through June 2017. So, what's changed? Not a lot as it happens. D&D 5E's share has increased from 58% to 62%, Pathfinder has drooped to 11%, Savage Worlds has increased to 7%, and D&D 3.5 has dropped from 6% to 4%, leaving Other Games to drop from 17% to 16%.

UPDATE - they sent me the wrong pie chart. This is the correct one. Updated notes, above.​

RulesetUsage2017Q2.png

RulesetUsage2014_17990_image001.png

RulesetTotal Games
5E331,744
PFRPG61,137
SavageWorlds36,082
3.5E24,061
CoreRPG11,497
4E10,510
Call Of Cthulhu9,186
Star Wars EotE8,313
GURPS5,153
MoreCore5,075
Iron Kingdoms4,818
DSA3,702
RolemasterClassic3,548
Castles and Crusades3,140
Numenera2,735
AD2,617
WH40K2,324
Fate Core1,803
Basic Roleplaying1,800
AD&D1,562
DCCRPG1,279
WHFRP1,223
VtM1,212
Shadowrun1,180
World of Darkness1,053
Grand Total536,754

SaveSave
SaveSave

SaveSave

darjr

I crit!
Add to that if you can't get decent internet then roll20 may not be an option while FG will still work just fine.

Most places decent internet is a given. But in a room with 62 other tables with goodness knows how many con goers and me trying to use my tv I'll be lucky to get decent internet access either via wifi or tethering.

The user growth and the continued dominance of 5e is the take-always for me from this. But pretty good growth across the board for most games. There are official versions of the Pathfinder rules now available on FG, so if that is your preferred system, the books with the art are available.

I wish that people would stop pretending that the WoTC DLC is a set price for FG. The SRD is included and automated. You can create the rest of the content yourself (the tools are all there in the game) or buy it for the WoTC set price. Same for the adventure modules.

I am glad that there are several good options available with different business models as choice is good and the ability to play online grows the industry as a whole. I prefer FG but this is not a religious choice and people that use another VTT are cool with me.

So, with Roll20, if they were to go out of business you’d lose all of your content purchases (unless somebody else bought the company and renegotiated). But if Smiteworks were to go out of business (Gods forbid) all content would be safe and one could continue to use the software so long as the client/server remained compatible with the current OS? So content purchases are “safer” with FGs, in the unlikely event of a company going away? Did I read that right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes (mostly). What you describe about Roll20 is accurate. If SmiteWorks (company that owns FG) were to go out of business their server that provides game aliasing would most likely go away. This means that you would have to use the GM's IP address and not their server alias in order to connect. And, there is a check with a free user connects to an Ultimate license to validate the license that is required.

So, if SW (FG) went out of business you would not be able to use the server alias capability unless someone else stepped up and provided that service (which would probably require SW permission). And the Ultimate license would effectively revert to a standard license unless SW provided some sort of going out of business patch to no longer require the license validation.

Jhaelen

First Post
Well, the fact that you can play 3.5 entirely free and have enough material, all online, to run for the next century, does make it a pretty strong incentive. Why move on to Pathfinder?
Isn't all of the Pathfinder stuff also available online for free?

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
Is the Numenera % for ALL Cypher system games or have the core rules not been adapted for FG? If it is for all, that seems a little low - good game.

Also a shame not to see Mutant: Year Zero / Coriolis on there - I take it that ruleset is not on there either? They really need a 'core' ruleset. ;)

No AGE either?

smiteworks

Explorer
We only have a very lightweight ruleset for Numenera at this point. It's included with the base product but doesn't have any data or graphics. It's quite possible that there are more games being run with either our CoreRPG or MoreCore rulesets since those support running any game system. For those, the default character sheet and NPC sheets are basically blank and you have to add in the different sort of attributes, rolls and abilities you want to track.

Roll20 has an official license for Numenera. Fantasy Grounds does not -- although we attempted to secure one. At this point, I doubt that will change in the future.

Is the Numenera % for ALL Cypher system games or have the core rules not been adapted for FG? If it is for all, that seems a little low - good game.

Also a shame not to see Mutant: Year Zero / Coriolis on there - I take it that ruleset is not on there either? They really need a 'core' ruleset. ;)

No AGE either?
As mentioned earlier, just because their is not a dedicated ruleset, does not mean the system is not played or can not be played.

CoreRPG and MoreCore rulesets allow any game system to be played. And when it comes to this report the systems can not/will not be tracked. They will just be reported as CoreRPG or MoreCore.

And I don't know the answer to your first question. Don't know those systems.

Nylanfs

Adventurer
Hmmm, I wonder if it would be worth it for Doug to add a "Gamesystem" plain text field that would be in the dialog for CoreRPG and MoreCore.

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
As mentioned earlier, just because their is not a dedicated ruleset, does not mean the system is not played or can not be played.

CoreRPG and MoreCore rulesets allow any game system to be played. And when it comes to this report the systems can not/will not be tracked. They will just be reported as CoreRPG or MoreCore.

And I don't know the answer to your first question. Don't know those systems.

Thanks. I did not see/understand the CoreRPG & MoreRPG entries. :)

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads