• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Upper level limit solo encounter for this party...?

Quickleaf

Legend
[MENTION=94831]Vhex[/MENTION] Solid advice. Thanks! I'll have to look up Kobold Press' disease-style environments. I agree there needs to be some power/healing recovery options for you guys since resting seems to be off the table.
[MENTION=43019]keterys[/MENTION] I like the idea of an ablative magic barrier which requires a small skill challenge (including attacks) to lower. I was actually looking at Blur (the wizard spell) as an option, providing the ranged PCs with some way to lower the Blur effect via puzzle or skill challenge.

I'm going back to the drawing board on designing Infyrana a bit, and have been inspired by http://at-will.omnivangelist.net/2010/04/1511/. I'm thinking there will be two different "world breakers" between stages 1&2 (sulfur geysers and heat vents which blind and create a hazard) and stages 2&3 (planar energies unleashed from ritual focus which teleport, impose vulnerability, and/or summon).

I'm also focusing on trimming down Infyrana's stat blocks by focusing on her "core concept": a paranoid red dragon mage with fabulous magic treasure and kobold minions. I'm thinking she'll start as a controller, shift to an artillery or lurker, and end as a skirmisher or soldier.

Following the advice of one of the players I'm going to give her a list of wizard spells (as a 19th level mage PC) to choose from throughout the encounter.

Vhex

First Post
For power/healing recovery, do keep in mind that the party up to this point has made two rather large "bad" decisions so the dragon should be structured as if they didn't make those decisions. There was the issue of splitting the party and triggering traps that caused a drop in healing surges requiring those who didn't lose a bunch of surges to replace the surges for those that did. There was also an all-out assault on an area that was likely meant to be a sneak/stealth encounter (but then...SLAVES, FREE THEM!). These two decisions should mean the party has lower resources than the encounter was designed for. Bad decisions should have consequences. If the encounter takes into account these bad decisions then the bad decisions don't really have consequences. You mentioned that you don't want the encounter to be unfair, but if you were designing the encounter in a vacuum then you wouldn't yet know what bad decisions the party had made. You would just know what you expected them to do with a bit of allowance for error. For that reason, don't go too overboard on providing methods of action/surge recovery.

Another caution I would have would be on using player abilities. It worked okay in 3.5 due to the way the math was, but in general player spells are much different from monster spells. In many cases they're weaker or focus on certain feat combinations to make them work well. A stronger path would be to pull spells and abilities for different monsters of that level and use those (perhaps reflavored). The adventure tools monster builder is actually kind of nice for this.

Quickleaf

Legend
Yes, good points. What I noticed from the group's first dragon fight was that the fight lasted long enough that they started running out of power options, so one thing I know I want to include is an encounter recharge mechanic...thinking I can tie that into the later "Worldbreaker".

I just wrote up the Stage 1 version of Infyrana, and I'm debating making a unique sort-of Blur+Otiluke's Resilient Sphere combination trait which will illustrate her preparedness and mastery of magic (while slightly evoking the 1e/2e Minor Globe of Invulnerability). Something like this...

Minor Globe of Invulnerability
Infyrana has total concealment against attacks from greater than 5 squares away, and ranged/area attacks against her must first deal 100 damage to the globe before hitting Infyrana. The globe can also be deactivated with a complexity I skill challenge.

Quickleaf

Legend
Ok, I've got three stat blocks I'd love feedback on. I'm going to post one-a-day over this weekend. Here's the stage 1 Infyrana.

Behind spoiler tags for my players.

[sblock=Infyrana, Stage 1]
Infyrana, Red Dragon Mage (stage 1)
Level 14 Solo Artillery
Huge natural magical beast (fire) XP 5,000

HP 400; Bloodied 200
AC 28; Fortitude 26; Reflex 26; Will 28
Speed 8, fly 10
Resist 20 fire
Saving Throws +5; Action Points 1
Initiative +15
Perception +16, Darkvision

Traits
Draconic Alacrity: Infyrana gets a second turn at her initiative count -15.

Draconic Recovery: At the end of each of her turns, Infyrana removes a dazed, dominated, stunned, immobilized, or restrained condition.

Infyrana's Cunning: If Infyrana only hits one target with a close or area attack, she deals +2d6 damage.

Minor Globe of Invulnerability: Infyrana has total concealment against attacks from greater than 5 squares away, and ranged / area attacks against her must first deal 100 damage to the globe before hitting Infyrana. The globe can also be deactivated with a complexity I skill challenge (see sidebar).

Standard Actions
Beguiling Strands • At-Will
Attack: Close blast 5 (enemies); +19 vs. Will
Hit: 1d8 + 5 psychic damage and pushed 3 squares.

Breath Weapon (fire) • Recharge when first bloodied
Attack: Area burst 1 within 20; +19 vs. Reflex
Hit: 3d12 + 6 fire damage.
Miss: Half damage.

Lightning Bolt • Encounter
Attack: Ranged 10; +19 vs. Reflex
Hit: 4d6 + 8 lightning damage.
Attack: (2 creatures within 10 squares of primary target); +19 vs. Reflex
Hit: 4d6 + 8 lightning damage.

Prismatic Burst • Encounter
Attack: Area burst 2 within 20; +19 vs. Will
Hit: 4d6 + 8 radiant damage and blinded until end of Infyrana's next turn.

The Poison Burns, Mortals! • At-Will (sulfurous wrath)
Requirements: Can only be used during Sulfurous Wrath.
Effect: Infyrana uses her magical power to draw sulfur fumes into a noxious cloud around the PCs. Roll an opposed check with each PC's Endurance/Arcana against Infyrana's Arcana. Any PC who rolls higher shakes off all conditions (including blindness). Any PC who rolls lower takes 3d6+12 poison damage and loses 1 healing surge.

Move Actions
Now, My Kobold Minions! • At-Will (sulfurous wrath)
Requirements: Can only be used during Sulfurous Wrath.
Effect: Infyrana roars and 10 kobold commandos or dragonshields enter the lair. Any surviving kobolds retreat once Sulfurous Wrath ends. Only 20 kobolds can be summoned at a time.

Minor Actions
Hypnotic Gaze (charm, gaze) • At-Will
Attack: Ranged 10; +19 vs. Will
Hit: Target cannot attack Infyrana and slides their speed toward a cursed treasure space within 10 squares (save ends). Once the target saves or is missed they cannot be affected by the gaze again this encounter.

Triggered Actions
Wing Snap • At-Will
Trigger: When an enemy moves adjacent.
Attack (Opportunity): +19 vs. Fortitude
Hit: 2d8 + 8 damage, pushed 2 squares and knocked prone.

Sulfurous Wrath (worldbreaker) • Encounter
Trigger: When reduced to 200 HP and again at 0 HP.
Effect (Free): Sulfur vents erupt, blinding all creatures save Infyrana and her summoned minions for one round, and a burning vapor hazard pours forth from the chasm.

Skills Arcana +17, Bluff +16, History +17, Insight +16, Intimidate +16
Str 20 (+12) Dex 20 (+12) Wis 18 (+11)
Con 20 (+12) Int 20 (+12) Cha 18 (+11)
Alignment evil     Languages Common, Draconic
[/sblock]

[sblock=Other Encounter Notes]
Infyrana begins protected by a minor globe of invulnerability, launching artillery spells as PCs try to cross the chasm. She uses a gaze which lures PCs to cursed items throughout chamber. Her “Worldbreaker” is an eruption of poison sulfurous vapors, during which she can summon kobold minions or magically draw fumes around the PCs.

Disabling the Globe of Invulnerability Skill Challenge is complexity I (4 successes before 3 failures) where successes are scored for every 25 points of damage dealt to the globe, Arcana DC 27, certain plot items, or other innovative player ideas. Attacks which deal less than 25 damage to the globe, failed skill checks, or "bad ideas" count as failures. Victory lowers the globe, while Defeat means the globe renews itself and the skill challenge resets.
Kobold Commandos and Dragonshields are 10th level minions, lurkers and soldiers respectively with "strength in numbers" type attacks.
Burning Vapor is from the MotP, it's an 11th level hazard which deals fire damage.
Cursed Treasure includes a variety of seriously nasty items hidden within the hoard. Rather than make these a "gotcha" moment later when the players sort thru loot or use a cursed dagger or something several sessions later, I decided to make the cursed items part of the encounter.
[/sblock]

Some questions... Should each stage of the solo have its own 'bloodied' condition, so Infyrana basically goes back and forth between being not-bloodied and bloodied throughout the fight? How does the Minor Globe of Invulnerability look - playable? Is doing Wing Snap as an opportunity attack too much?

Last edited:

sblock edit to protect from players.

Hey @Quickleaf,

[sblock]couple things I see right off the bat is that you're using L + 5 for non-AC defenses rather than L + 3. You may be wanting to amp it up a bit and, if so, great! That is just non-standard so that pops out. Secondarily, her damage is low and you should probably consider a miss effect on everything.

Use level 14 Controller Water Archon (with updated math) from Monster Vault as a guide:

Whirlpool
x.gif
At-Will
Attack: Close burst 3 (enemies in the burst); +17 vs. Fortitude
Hit: 4d6 + 7 damage, and the archon slides the target up to 3 squares.
Miss: The archon can slide the target 1 square.

Beguiling Strands should be around ~ 21 damage. Might want to make it 4d6 + 7 with a Miss: Pushed 1 square. This is good for interacting with lava pools/vents, etc.

Her Breath Weapon should be 25 - 50 % more damage than an At-Will as its encounter or recharge. It has no control effect so you can add ~ 3 damage to Whirlpool above putting it at ~ 24. So her Breath Weapon should be around 29 - 36 damage. Maybe 5d8 + 10. Consider Calastryx's BW is about 20 Damage with a HUGE Zone control effect of 10 damage to all who end their turn in the zone. You may just want to straight up use that one because it is more fun, and more punitive, than a standard BW:

Calaystrix from Monster Vault TttNV courtesy of WotC
Breath Weapon
(fire, zone)
x.gif
Recharge
6a.gif

Attack: Close blast 5 (creatures in the blast); +17 vs. Reflex
Hit: 2d12 + 7 fire damage.
Effect: The blast creates a zone that lasts until the end of Calastryx’s next turn. Any creature that ends its turn in one or more zones created by this power takes 10 fire damage.

Lightning Bolt should be roughly the same damage as the Breath Weapon without a control effect. I'd give it a half damage miss effect.

Prismatic Burst is difficult because its a larger than normal AoE Burst + a major control effect. Whirlpool above has those parameters except a standard control effect rather than a major. I would drop the damage of Whirlpool by about ~ 4 damage. That would be 17 * %25 - %50% for encounter. Looks like you've got the damage pretty close to about right on that one. Again, I'd give it a control miss effect.

Outside of that, looks good. I would try to give her some good slide effects or Fire vuln riders and have her interact with lava pools, vents and "Molten Gold" hazards. That would create a dynamic, "scary", fight where people are getting moved around and are trying to stay on solid ground and away from vents/pools or molten gold.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Sblocked to protect your players :)

[sblock]The resilient sphere is pretty neat. Looks like the kind of thing Sly Flourish comes up with. Are you planning on doing one of these things per stage?

Just a minor thing about AC. For artillery it's usually 12 + level. (Mind you, I've seen WotC violate this rule a lot. I suspect they just keep forgetting about it.)

Disabling the Globe of Invulnerability Skill Challenge is complexity I (4 successes before 3 failures) where successes are scored for every 25 points of damage dealt to the globe, Arcana DC 27, certain plot items, or other innovative player ideas. Attacks which deal less than 25 damage to the globe, failed skill checks, or "bad ideas" count as failures. Victory lowers the globe, while Defeat means the globe renews itself and the skill challenge resets.

Is there a range to the Arcana checks? Usually these are resolved as "melee range" standard actions, but that's a bit difficult against a flying dragon. (Of course, that might be the point, if PCs can fly. Or climb. Or jump really high...)

When it comes to the breath weapon, I always think it should be able to strip off resistance to fire. (The really powerful red dragon in the MM1 can do so. My PCs have just reached paragon level and are gaining abilities like resisting elements too.)

And probably the most important, each phase generally gives the solo an "ultimate escape" ability. (So, Infyrana, upon "dying" from this stage, should be able to move away from the PCs in addition to an attack. So the second time Sulphurous Wrath goes off, she should pull an "ultimate escape", then enter combat as a new creature.)

Some questions... Should each stage of the solo have its own 'bloodied' condition, so Infyrana basically goes back and forth between being not-bloodied and bloodied throughout the fight?

I think that might be adding too much complexity. (How would you explain her becoming bloodied, and then unbloodied in phase 2?)

How does the Minor Globe of Invulnerability look - playable?

See notes about range above. Yes I think it's perfectly playable. It would be over the top if there was no way of taking it down, but you've given multiple ways of doing so.

Is doing Wing Snap as an opportunity attack too much?

No, that's not too much. That's her method of avoiding being cornered. (Maybe it should be her tail instead though, since I'm guessing she'll be flying for much of the fight. But I haven't played Dragon Mountain in so long, I don't recall if there was enough space for that.)

Are you still doing the fake dragon trick?

[/sblock]

the Jester

Legend
I'll play along with sblocking...

[sblock]I agree that her beguiling strands damage is far too low. I think leaving her AC as-is is fine, especially if you keep her defenses consistent as she changes from one stage to the next. However, since it hits multiple targets, I think you want about 3d6+7, a touch lower than Manbearcat's 4d6+7. I agree with him that adding a "Miss: Push 1" is a good idea.

One thing I'd add: Even with two turns, she's coming in doing the damage of two monsters rather than five. I would therefore amp up the wing snap opportunity attack to the equivalent of a standard attack routine (about 22 points for a 14th level monster- say, 4d8+4). [/sblock]

Quickleaf

Legend
Good comments! :) Continuing with the spoiler tags...

[sblock]
Bloodied
(Psi)SeveredHead said:
I think that might be adding too much complexity. (How would you explain her becoming bloodied, and then unbloodied in phase 2?
Narratively, there's a couple ways I could explain it: The Planeshift Ritual Focus lending her strength. The dragon roars or rolls in her treasure and is rejuvenated (a monster's version of second wind).

And I'm using 'bloodied' as a breath weapon recharge trigger / trigger for worldbreaker powers already.

But maybe it makes more sense to have her third phase be the 'bloodied' phase (for PC power purposes) as per AngryDM's suggestion?

Defenses
couple things I see right off the bat is that you're using L + 5 for non-AC defenses rather than L + 3. You may be wanting to amp it up a bit and, if so, great! That is just non-standard so that pops out.
(Psi)SeveredHead said:
Just a minor thing about AC. For artillery it's usually 12 + level. (Mind you, I've seen WotC violate this rule a lot. I suspect they just keep forgetting about it.)
(Psi)SeveredHead said:
The resilient sphere is pretty neat. Looks like the kind of thing Sly Flourish comes up with. Are you planning on doing one of these things per stage?
I am using L+14 for AC and L+12 for NADs (and giving her a slightly higher Will since she's a mage). This is how the old solos were done in the offline Monster Builder (with an extra +2 to defenses, which was subsequently dropped in newer monster design). I wanted to give Infyrana the "Blur" spell which she casts before PCs' arrive, since her schtick is "paranoid red dragon mage with divination powers", but I didn't want her to have total concealment against PCs further than 5 squares for the *entire* fight. Instead, I put that concealment part of "Blur" into the Minor Globe of Invulnerability - which only is in play during stage 1 - and gave her +2 all defenses for the rest of the fight. But that's just justification for getting to what I feel are the *right* to-hit values for the party, which I think is around 50% for a boss (higher for melee warriors, with combat advantage, or with attack bonus-granting powers).

Note: I am considering about changing her higher NAD during the stages, but not yet sure how to work that in narratively...

Damage
Manbearcat said:
Secondarily, her damage is low and you should probably consider a miss effect on everything.

Beguiling Strands should be around ~ 21 damage. Might want to make it 4d6 + 7 with a Miss: Pushed 1 square. This is good for interacting with lava pools/vents, etc.
Her Breath Weapon should be 25 - 50 % more damage than an At-Will as its encounter or recharge. It has no control effect so you can add ~ 3 damage to Whirlpool above putting it at ~ 24. So her Breath Weapon should be around 29 - 36 damage. Maybe 5d8 + 10. Consider Calastryx's BW is about 20 Damage with a HUGE Zone control effect of 10 damage to all who end their turn in the zone. You may just want to straight up use that one because it is more fun, and more punitive, than a standard BW:
Lightning Bolt should be roughly the same damage as the Breath Weapon without a control effect. I'd give it a half damage miss effect.
Prismatic Burst is difficult because its a larger than normal AoE Burst + a major control effect. Whirlpool above has those parameters except a standard control effect rather than a major. I would drop the damage of Whirlpool by about ~ 4 damage. That would be 17 * %25 - %50% for encounter. Looks like you've got the damage pretty close to about right on that one. Again, I'd give it a control miss effect.

I agree that her beguiling strands damage is far too low. I think leaving her AC as-is is fine, especially if you keep her defenses consistent as she changes from one stage to the next. However, since it hits multiple targets, I think you want about 3d6+7, a touch lower than Manbearcat's 4d6+7. I agree with him that adding a "Miss: Push 1" is a good idea.

One thing I'd add: Even with two turns, she's coming in doing the damage of two monsters rather than five. I would therefore amp up the wing snap opportunity attack to the equivalent of a standard attack routine (about 22 points for a 14th level monster- say, 4d8+4).

Hold on, the damage values I'm using are the updated ones from Sly Flourish's DM Cheat Sheet: http://slyflourish.com/master_dm_sheet.pdf. For 14th level that means (taking into account the updated DMG damage expression table from http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/UpdateDMG.pdf):

Low 2d8+7 (average 16) - the multi-target base damage for an at-will
Medium 3d6+12 (average 22) - the single target base damage for an at-will
High 3d6+17 (average 27)
High Limited 3d6+22 (average 32)

So yes, Beguiling Strands is probably too low but maybe it should be around 16 average, not 21...at least using latest guidelines. But her Breath Weapon averages 25 (more than Medium), which is about +50% from 16. But [MENTION=6696971]Manbearcat[/MENTION] you're saying it should be closer to High Limited. Why so high? Am I determining it wrong somehow? Is the Sly Flourish sheet out of date? Am I misinterpreting it?
[MENTION=82555]the[/MENTION]Jester I like your guideline that a solo should be doing the damage of 5 monsters - very useful guideline. :)

Thanks for the comments about adding miss effects...will incorporate that into my revision.

Other Comments

Manbearcat said:
Outside of that, looks good. I would try to give her some good slide effects or Fire vuln riders and have her interact with lava pools, vents and "Molten Gold" hazards. That would create a dynamic, "scary", fight where people are getting moved around and are trying to stay on solid ground and away from vents/pools or molten gold.
Thanks :) Yes, I'm saving that stuff for stage 2 which is fire-themed. The basic idea is that Infyrana is heating up sort of like a volcano dragon from MM3, so during stage 1 there's less of this, but then the s&! hits the fan in stage 2.

Is there a range to the Arcana checks? Usually these are resolved as "melee range" standard actions, but that's a bit difficult against a flying dragon. (Of course, that might be the point, if PCs can fly. Or climb. Or jump really high...)
No, I didn't have a range in mind on the Arcana checks for deactivating the Minor Globe of Invulnerability, but my intent is that the casters - who will probably be at range - can attempt it so long as they have line of sight to the globe.

(Psi)SeveredHead said:
When it comes to the breath weapon, I always think it should be able to strip off resistance to fire. (The really powerful red dragon in the MM1 can do so. My PCs have just reached paragon level and are gaining abilities like resisting elements too.
I like that idea... Right now I have it as part of her stage 2 & 3 aura - she deals fire damage to anyone adjacent, but if they have fire resistance instead of taking damage they lose that resistance while in the aura. But your suggestion would let her do it at range. The party will definitely have some kind of Mass Resistance to fire cast on them before facing Infyrana, but I worry that stripping it away permanently would be too punitive. Maybe an "until end of next turn" or "save ends" effect?

And probably the most important, each phase generally gives the solo an "ultimate escape" ability. (So, Infyrana, upon "dying" from this stage, should be able to move away from the PCs in addition to an attack. So the second time Sulphurous Wrath goes off, she should pull an "ultimate escape", then enter combat as a new creature.)
OK, the idea is that her stage 2 is a Skirmisher with a fiery aura, so she'll *want* to be in close with the PCs at the stage transition. So I'm not sure how to incorporate an "ultimate escape" ability between stage 1 and 2 and have it be coherent. Any ideas?

(Psi)SeveredHead said:
Are you still doing the fake dragon trick?
No. I had planned to have Infyrana try to trick them another way, but as it turns out the party may have presented a better option. I'm still figuring it out, but it should be devious fun. We game this coming weekend and I'll post how it goes. :)
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Quickleaf

Legend
And here's the stage 2 write-up (I have not tweaked any of the damage yet). Also added map and terrain features for the entire fight I forgot in older post.

[SBLOCK=Infyrana, Stage 2]
Infyrana, Red Dragon Mage (stage 2)
Infyrana, Red Dragon Mage (stage 2) Level 14 Solo Skirmisher
Huge natural magical beast (fire) XP 5,000

HP 400; Bloodied 200
AC 28; Fortitude 26; Reflex 26; Will 28
Speed 8, fly 10
Resist 20 fire
Saving Throws +5; Action Points 1
Initiative +15
Perception +16, Darkvision

Traits
Draconic Alacrity: Infyrana gets a second turn at her initiative count -15.

Infyrana's Fiery Cunning: Against targets suffering ongoing fire damage, Infyrana's fire attacks cause them to take the ongoing damage again immediately.

Draconic Recovery: At the end of each of her turns, Infyrana removes a dazed, dominated, stunned, immobilized, or restrained condition.

Roiling Flames • Aura 1 : Any creature beginning its turn in the aura takes 10 fire damage. Creatures with fire resistance take no damage but lose their resistance while in the aura.

Standard Actions
Claw • At-Will
Attack: Reach 2; +19 vs. AC
Hit: 2d8 + 12 damage and pushed 1 square.

Tail Sweep • At-Will
Attack: Close blast 2; +19 vs. AC
Hit: 1d8 + 8 damage and knocked prone.

Bite • Recharge when no creature grabbed
Attack: Reach 2; +19 vs. AC
Hit: 2d8 + 12 damage and grabbed, taking 2d8+12 auto-damage end of their turn until escape

Dragon's Fury • At-Will
Effect: Infyrana makes 2 claws, 1 bite, and 1 tail sweep attack, then shifts 2 squares.

Immolating Breath Weapon (fire) • Recharge when first bloodied
Attack: Close blast 5; +17 vs. Reflex
Hit: 3d12 + 6 fire damage and 10 ongoing fire damage (save ends). Critical +3d12 and lose any fire resistance.

Pillar of Blazing Death (arcane, fire, necrotic, teleportation) • At-Will (planar firestorm)
Requirements: Can only be used during Planar Firestorm.
Attack: Close burst 5 (one creature); +17 vs. Will
Hit: 5d8 + 10 fire and necrotic damage, dazed and 10 ongoing fire damage (save ends both), and teleported anywhere in lair. If target is already taking ongoing fire damage increase by 10.
Effect: Burst becomes a zone until end of this stage; enemies within the zone suffer vulnerability 10 fire.

Wall of Fire (arcane, conjuration, fire) • Daily
Effect: Area wall 8 within 10 squares; Infyrana conjures a wall of fire which blocks line of sight and costs 4 squares of movement to enter. Any creature starting adjacent takes 1d6+6 fire damage. A creature moving into or starting inside the wall takes 3d6+6 fire damage.
Sustain Minor: The wall persists.

Move Actions
Now, Elementals of Flame! • At-Will (planar firestorm)
Requirements: Can only be used during Planar Firestorm.
Effect: Infyrana summons 10 fire elemental sparks. Only 10 elementals may be in play at a time.

Minor Actions
Burning Gaze (fire, gaze) • At-Will
Effect: Ranged 10 (a creature taking ongoing fire damage); The target takes a -4 penalty to its next save against ongoing damage.

Triggered Actions
Wing Snap • At-Will
Trigger: An enemy moves adjacent to Infyrana.
Attack (Immediate Reaction): +17 vs. Fortitude
Hit: 2d8 + 8 damage, pushed 2 squares and knocked prone.

Planar Firestorm (worldbreaker) • Encounter
Trigger: When reduced to 200 HP and again at 0 HP.
Effect (Free): Infyrana activates the planeshift ritual focus, and teleports to any square she can see. Enemies take 10 ongoing fire damage (save ends), on a failed save increase by 10 and teleported 6 squares.

Skills Arcana +17, Bluff +16, History +17, Insight +16, Intimidate +16
Str 20 (+12) Dex 20 (+12) Wis 18 (+11)
Con 20 (+12) Int 20 (+12) Cha 18 (+11)
Alignment evil     Languages Common, Draconic
[/SBLOCK]

[SBLOCK=Other Encounter Notes]
In this stage, Infyrana activates the Planeshift Ritual Focus, then engages the PCs in a fierce melee skirmish. She focuses on dealing the maximum amount of ongoing fire damage as possible. Her "Worldbreaker" in this stage is a Planar Firestorm which allows her to summon fire elemental minions and conjure a devastating pillar of black flame.

Using the Planeshift Focus Skill Challenge is a complexity I skill challenge (4 successes before 3 failures) with the special caveat that a failure accrues each round no attempt is made to control it by the PCs. Successes are accrued by approaching the ritual focus and taking minor action Arcana/Religion/Thievery DC 24 checks. Victory inflicts vulnerable 10 [keyword according to planar attunement] on Infyrana for one round, and each PC may recharge an encounter power, re-roll initiative, or spend a healing surge as a free action. Defeat, however, activates Infyrana’s Planar Firestorm and all PCs gain vulnerable 10 fire for one round. At the DM’s discretion, Dragon Mountain may planeshift!

Fire Elemental Sparks are 12th level minions from Revenge of the Giants with updated math. I'll need to modify further, since they'll be utterly ineffective (11 fire damage) against the party's mass fire resistance (11)...

Additional Terrain will include some kind of fire spouts, molten gold, or lava as suggested.
[/SBLOCK]

[SBLOCK=Map & Terrain (All Stages)]
PZOSQW30026_500.jpeg

(2) Braziers of Arcane Flame: (AC/Ref 4; Fort 15; HP 100) Fire attacks made within 2 squares of a brazier deal +10 fire damage. If destroyed, the brazier deals 20 fire damage to all creatures within 2 squares.

Chasm: Any creature which falls into the chasm plummets 80 feet into a fast underground river for 4d10 damage (ending any ongoing fire damage). Swimming out of river requires Athletics DC 28 (-1 healing surge on a failure), and climbing the chasm requires three Athletics DC 20 checks / 3 rounds at climb speed 3 (normal).

Treasure Mounds: Difficult terrain to ascend. If a creature is knocked prone or forced to move on a mound, they must make a DC 15 Acrobatics / Athletics check or fall prone and slide to the bottom of the mound. A PC can search for a specific known treasure with Perception DC 20.

Crystal Ball: As a purely story effect, Infyrana’s crystal ball projects images of the PCs as they explored Dragon Mountain, only from the kobolds’ perspective (e.g. kobolds getting ready for an ambush or laughing at PC suffering).
[/SBLOCK]

Last edited:

I have a deceptively easy question: what's the max solo level I should use against the PCs?

I have a party of seven PCs of 12th level. On International Table Top Day they will be going up against an "elder red dragon." By RAW that's a level 22 solo, but I'm custom-designing this dragon anyhow using AngryDM's 3-stage boss monster guidelines and doing a bit of conversion of Infyrana from Dragon Mountain (who is a powerful spellcaster, so a controller rather than a soldier). So changing the level is no problem. The question is: what level should this solo be?

I want this to be a very hard - but not unfair - encounter with the legitimate risk of multiple PC deaths or even a TPK. Already just five of the PCs (at 11th level) defeated a 15th level adult red dragon (designed as a 3-stage brute). Here is the party composition:

Bard/Warlord 12, captain of fortune, well-rounded leader
Fighter 12, weaponmaster, dual-wielding multi-attacker extraordinaire
Paladin 12, hospitaller/questing knight with lots of heals and buffs
Barbarian 12, nocturnal, charge machine
Wizard 12, unseen Mage and orb-wielder extraordinaire
Elementalist 12, Lyrandar wind rider, maxed out damage dealer
Vampire/Cavalier 12, Valiant Cavalier, practically unkillable build

Sounds like a high optimization lovel oversized party. Its going to be TOUGH. The problem is, they can almost surely handle some level 17 Solo (the max level that is normally considered appropriate). So, either you will need more than just a solo, or you'll need several of them in a row, like maybe your staged thing (I'm not sure what exact techniques you're using there).

The other option of course is a very hostile environment with a lot of places that the BBEG can leverage it (but be careful that it doesn't help the PCs even more). Dragons fly, so a way to fly and attack, or some places that are drop offs that PCs can be tossed off, but the dragon can fly over if it gets pushed, etc. These are all amplifiers. IME what you want to avoid is one monumentally hard to hit and damage opponent, it just turns into a slug-fest.

Being a red dragon, maybe some nice lava pools or flame geysers that fire every couple rounds, etc. Consider what rituals the dragon may have used to customize its lair too.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads