• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Upset about another edition!

hawkwind7026

First Post
I realize 4th edition has been out for about 5 years, but i just recently got into 4th edition and spent over $200 on all the books needed for 4th edition. Now I am sure they will coming out with a new set of rules books we all will have to get. If wizards thinks I am going to shell out another $200 for new books, they have another thing coming!
I would like to get everyones opinion on this?

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
I realize 4th edition has been out for about 5 years, but i just recently got into 4th edition and spent over $200 on all the books needed for 4th edition. Now I am sure they will coming out with a new set of rules books we all will have to get. If wizards thinks I am going to shell out another $200 for new books, they have another thing coming!

Do you use DDI?

BobTheNob

First Post
Ya know, my dad used to do model railways. You have no idea about expensive. Go to a train hobby shop and try to buy 1 decent engine.

Relatively speaking, d&d is probably one of the cheapest hobbies out there. All things considered 4e cost me a couple of hundred dollars over a 3year period...CHUMP CHANGE!

Conclusion...not worried at all

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
There are always people who start playing near the end of an edition who are understandably put out when the next one is announced. I feel for you.

But, 4E isn't selling well enough, so Wizards of the Coast has to try again. It's important to Hasbro that D&D be the biggest brand in tabletop RPGs. 4E, regardless of your personal opinion, split the playerbase and thus dramatically weakened the brand.

Thus, they are writing a new edition with the goal of getting everybody under the same umbrella again. Whether you buy it or not is ultimately up to you, but they honestly don't mean any offense by it.

With any luck, 5E will be really good and stick around for more than a decade.

Tony Vargas

Legend
I realize 4th edition has been out for about 5 years
Less than 4, actually.

, but i just recently got into 4th edition and spent over $200 on all the books needed for 4th edition. Now I am sure they will coming out with a new set of rules books we all will have to get. If wizards thinks I am going to shell out another $200 for new books, they have another thing coming!
You have $200 worth of books for a really quite good version of D&D, and you could use them to play the game for years.

WotC is caught up with corporate politics and raging nerds, but you don't have to be.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
I'm holding out hope that 5e will be somehow reverse compatible to a large degree, so people who play past editions and stick with them and still use new products.

Incenjucar

Legend
4th edition is an exceptional rules set with a vast amount of flexibility and incredible ease of use, especially for the DM. You can play 4E until the day you die, so long as you have a group.

While it would have been really really nice if WotC didn't give up on the system two years in, the system is still quite solid, and so much of it makes so much sense that it's quite easy to develop for it, even if there isn't much profit in it.

Ichneumon

First Post

The obligation to get 5th edition books ranks well beneath that of a federal statute.
Your 4th edition books will bring you gaming goodness for as long as you wish. If you don't want to shell out for those sleek, sexy, exquisite smelling and beautifully formatted new D&D books when they grace your local gaming store next year, Just Say No. You have the power. (Unlike me, who will show all the resistance of a grape to a boulder).

tlantl

First Post
Just think there's another 12 months of junk er goodies to come.

Welcome to the club. I wasted a lot of money on 3e books before they killed that run. I wasn't so fond of the next batch so I saved my money and bought a really nice computer, collected a couple of dozen more miniatures and kept on playing with the junk, er goodies I had. I took a look at pathfinder, bought a pdf or two, wasn't impressed and now I await the next coming of D&D with subdued optimism.

Remove ads